Strength [+2]
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Snatch: 82kg Overhead Squat 90kg

That's a beastly overhead squat. How are you setting it up though? I used to do mine in the squat rack, but managed to chop the ends of my fingers off when failing a rep on the "safety bars", so I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Just a note - it hurt like absolute fuck (and also I am missing the ends of those fingers).
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    What's the best whey in its least offensive water-based form? Vanilla from Myprotein? And my body doesn't like milk, so is it an idea to go for soy protein (isolate, is it)?

I might try it for recovery after runs next spring. I'm not doing enough to need supps at the minute.
  • MyProtein have one of the purest around. According to a site called Labdoor. I got for unflavoured but it's disgusting with waiter so I have it with milk.

Otherwise Optimum Nutrition chocolate is great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I can't do milk — it has to be water.

@Verecocha — don't suppose this is much good?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?articleId=6109
  • Dude, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard mixes easily with water and tastes fine. Been one of the best in market for donkeys years.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Milky Whey

GIIkhSt.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Wispa Gold

https://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/optimum-nutrition-100-percent-gold-standard-whey-2-27kg

Can't afford that for a while, but it looks okay. Caramel Toffee Fudge?! Surely that's one to avoid? Milk Chocolate's the least evil, I'd imagine. Sneaky with their free delivery, though: is there anything cheap to add as a qualifier?
  • Just start eating fucktons of peas. Job done. Sprinkle some spirulina over everything as well for good measure.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    WHAT ABOUT THE CRAMPS

I'd need a shaker, actually; that'd take it up to free postage. Do you buy a jar to keep it in (bearing in mind I'd be using it 2-3 times per week)?
  • Should be resealable. I've got a big bag like that. Easy reseal.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah, 'cause I'd only use it after each run and the odd bit of lifting, so I'd take months to get through that much.

Is creatine better for recovery, though? It's the DOMS I'm after. Maximum strength gains with minimum size.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Just start eating fucktons of peas. Job done. Sprinkle some spirulina over everything as well for good measure.

Peas with peanut butter and spicy oil is the dinner of champions (or lazy people).
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    voices wrote:
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Snatch: 82kg Overhead Squat 90kg
    That's a beastly overhead squat. How are you setting it up though? I used to do mine in the squat rack, but managed to chop the ends of my fingers off when failing a rep on the "safety bars", so I wouldn't recommend doing that. Just a note - it hurt like absolute fuck (and also I am missing the ends of those fingers).

Usually clean it but when it start's getting heavy I rack the bar, set up as if in a backsquat position and walk out from the rack. Then dip press it behind the neck (technically a push press from behind). Steady the shoulders and squat. I have good shoulder mobility though so that helps. I reckon I can get to 95/100kg on the OHS with a little more rest, as it was test week and I had tested DL, Clean, Back Squat and Bench Press before.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Ass to grass.
  • Impressive.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Week 2 of 5x5 completeed, I am weak, this is hard. Yet I kinda like DOMs, so hopefully will keep good habits. Just need to work out how to sleep properly, but new house is helping in that regard
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I got tablets from the doctor to help with restless leg syndrome which are helping a bit with sleep. Last month I hit a wall. Weeks and weeks of 3-4 hours of broken sleep a night finally caught up with me. I was fucked. Hope you can sort something for yourself man, I know how you feel.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't miss the sleep., just I know I'm going to likely need more. But new place is ok, and I am now back up to 4-5 hours, last six/seven months getting 3 hours unbroken (unless completely drunk) has been impossible. But I manage to top up with a few naps here and there
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Ah yes, the occasional nap. A luxury of getting older. Top stuff.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Ass to grass.

Is your middle name Dhalsim?
  • How’s everyone doing? I’ve been doing shit lately. But then had a good sesh on Saturday. Hoping to keep doing good. But sleep issues have other plans for me. And stress (work and family). Hey ho.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm slowly getting back to it. I've joined an actual big chain gym. 24 hour fitness. Not great but they have a decent set of equipment and is within walking distance. Lots of show offs though that aren't even using their full range when working out.

Decided to start simple and just go with the beginner program on simple science fitness. That works so far, I'm gonna add in some accessory exercises and cardio at the end. Usually switch between a tabata on the bike or a 5k row. I was very glad to find two ancient rowing machines somewhere in a corner, it's my favorite indoor cardio thing. I don't care for the stairs machine and that kinda stuff.

It was a bit of a reality check when trying to squat with a bar again how hard it was to find my balance and how heavy it felt. Could almost cry, I was close to be doing a bodyweight rep over half a year ago. Still having issues with breathing / feeling super tired after just a couple simple reps. Doesn't even need to be something heavy.

Elbow /shoulder start to feel better, presses don't start to hurt now, I still feel something but it ain't pain. More options to work on that in this gym than in the community gym, so that's something.

So yeah, I keep telling myself to do my best for at least half a year, hopefully by then I feel like making progress again. It felt like such a big step back, and of course everyone is squatting with the big plates etc. Felt like giving up as soon as I started.

Biggest annoyance in the gym is they don't have bumper plates, so deadlifting takes ages to set up, as I have to make piles with the plates for the bar (with weight) to rest on. Also everything is in lbs.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Actually got back into it this last two months, with a fortnight of in between. Realise just how weak I've been. One of the personal trainers approached me on Friday and suggested I switch from a high back squat to a low back squat. His reasoning was that I was leaning forward at the bottom. I realised that I was probably just trying to cheat myself into thinking I was going an inch or so deeper. But then tried his lower back squat, because I started watching my reflection and checking my form ive only gone and cricked my neck. Feel so fucking stupid now

But still got plenty of easy gains to be made, just really annoyed about the overhead press. I can do the first two or three sets easy but for sets 4&5 I have to deload massively. Massively frustrating
  • One of the personal trainers complimented me on my squat. Usually that wouldn’t mean much, but this guy competes at local/national powerlifting competitions. That felt good. I do low-ish weights but to have someone like him compliment me on my form was a confident booster. 

I then did my back in a bit on the deadlift. Didn’t show it though. :)

Heavy squats followed by heavy deadlift. Why do I do that? Stupid.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    STUPID

After a loooong hiatus from anything remotely serious due to knee and forearm being cooked I am kinda doing stuff again. Back up to 50kg OHP for decent reps, weighted chins at 15kg too easy all of a sudden, squat is hit and miss cos of my knee but managed 100kg for a few reps with good form. Put on 4kg so eh, no major pain to complain of.

Ooh and benching again and it isn't agony. Not exactly smooth either and 100kg seems light years away now but creeping up to 80kg without snapping in half.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just over half those numbers at the minute, but I'm trying to only compare myself to me. Sure those numbers will creep back up soon enough though. Glad you are feeling bette thoughr

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!