Strength [+2]
  • Good read.  I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with the 'chin-up' in good form, but the pull-up is king.  It happens to be my pull-up day today, but I hate embarrassing myself in the gym.  Well I say embarrass, but I'll probably be the only one trying to do them with strict form.  Got a bar at home that hangs on door frame so I can practice, but stupid thing still needs something drilled and fixed at top of doorframe that I cant be bothered with.  Metal door frames suck.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not really got time to read it, but are they talking about chin-ups vs pull ups? They're both ace at different things. And there's only perfect form pull-ups, take joy in asking people what they're doing when they're not doing it 100% right and when they say pull-ups just tell em straight, "no, no you're not". Back day today, pull up time, PUMPED!!!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Real men do weighted pull ups (strict) - no fannying about with chin extensions ;)
  • True.  I do weighted pullups with 1.25kg plate, I'm badmans.

I've only ever seen one person in the gym doing strict weighted pullups.  I just had to go up to him and say I was impressed, he was well pleased.  He had a nice chest too.
  • Back day today is:
    6x10 amazing pulls
    2xwarm3x5 heavy dreads
    2xwarm3x5 bent over heavy rows
    3xFailure rows
    3xFailure narrow pull down
    3x6 Tbar heavy/failure

All done. What a day. Good back workout after a full day of Control and Restraint.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Kipping

If I owned a gym and saw someone kipping they'd get an instaban.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Kipping is okay during a long workout, better than butterflies anyway - but for strict form and strength training I agree 100% - insta ban. My cardio / endurance is pretty high at the moment - numbers are going up a little too but the big gains are in the workouts and being able to push through them.
  • It's gonna be a sad day when I ban you from my gym Haak. One of my favourite people instabanned.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Skerret tried to get into your gym, but he couldn't open the door. Levers, see.
  • Escape wrote:
    Skerret tried to get into your gym, but he couldn't open the door. Levers, see.

First challenge...FAILED. Does not deserve entry.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I can't help how I am.

I dispute the assertion that trainers want to help you reach your goals without you hurting yourself; gyms are mostly interested in you not hurting yourself, the rest is optional. If you have a membership and never turn up, you're the ideal client. Too many trainers also have no fucking idea what they are doing either. My ex wanted to change her body shape and her trainer just kept putting her through cardio circuits, presumably as that's all she knew. Watching trainers teach someone squat or deadlift is cringeworthy. A 3 month fitness cert isn't really gonna do it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Well, first time in a long long time suffering from an injury of some sort. Lower back pain, not muscular - feels more like my spine. I'm not sure exactly what triggered it but I have my suspicions. Was doing a workout a few weeks ago with a lot of box jumps, like 80+ - I think not using a step down approach was a mistake here as the shock absorption from jumping up and down on a box obviously didn't agree with my back.

I can't really complain, I train 5/6 days a week and haven't had an injury now in a good few years. It's not painful as such, but it definitely affected my ability to snatch last Saturday. Will give any heavy back work a skip this week and work on upper body strength and see how she goes.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Feeling better already? Lower back pain is an annoying one.

I'm slowly starting to get back into it, gym that comes with the new apartment is even more restricted, but it works for now. Had a bit of a strange feeling in my elbow so have it a rest for a couple weeks. Trying to get back into it with 5 x 20 sets, so low weight.

Hopefully will be able to join a 24 hour fitness soon, it's not ideal I think but at least they have a lot of equipment and do yoga group sessions. First need to make sure my elbow and shoulder feel fine (had a feeling the cause of the pain in my elbow was coming from my shoulder).
  • I have a question, probably looking for advice from @vere but advice from anyone is welcome.

Before I ask the question, I go through what I do, exercise wise on a weekly basis.

Mon: Yoga and Swimming (1hr of yoga, 30mins of swimming, minimum rest of 5-10 seconds per lap)
    Tue: Boxing fitness (7 x 3min rounds plus active rests inbetween)
    Wed: Rest
    Thu: HITT (1hr worth)
    Fri: Body Pump (800 reps, all muscle groups worked).
    Sat: 7k run about 35-40 mins
    Sun: Rest

Food:

So every morning: porridge with blended nuts, blueberries and a dollop of manuca honey. When I get to work, a latte (no sugar), banana and a naked fruit bar.

Snack: another latte plus two tangerines

Lunch: salad

Tea time: bowl of cereal, cup of tea and 3 revitalise with chicken slices on it

Dinner: varies usually something healthy I.e. Fish or chicken or eggs.

Forgot to add in mornings I take 1 x cla pill, 1 x turmeric pill and 1 x green tea pill

Weekends are a bit more of a mix of stuff depending on what we have on.

Now my question, what could I do to help reduce belly fat? Just be patient? Is there anything food wise or supplement wise that could aid the process?
  • Simple answer calories in vs calories out, and that sugar is evil and your worst enemy. Avoid insulin spikes, even from something that may seem harmless like cereal (oats based muesli much better than normal cereal). 

More complex answer is... I'll post later. But banana and naked bar should be dumped. As should cereal.
  • Of course, wait for better and more experienced answer from Vere. I am very much in the learning phase of things.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Elf is basically spot on, Cin < Cout and avoid sugar and provessed carbs.  Bingo bango.  Belly fat can't be shifted specifcally bar surgery, genetics dictates how and where you lose fat first and last.

Work out what you eat of a normal day, what you need to eat on training days and eat at a small deficit over the week if fat reduction is the goal.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Drop the lattes imo, unless you're asking for like soy milk or some shit they are just a fuckton of full fat milk. Get on them white americanos or black if you are the awsum.

Also sack off that bowl of cereal. Fruit only for snacks if you can do it.

No gym experience per se, but i used to be quite fat and am now not as fat. Belly fat is like just about the last place the weight comes off in my experience. Just sick to your guns and don't worry about it too much, it'll come off in the end.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Make sure you're not heating up that manuka honey, by the way. Heat kills off most of the good enzymes and shit.

Naked fruit bar? If it's what I think it is, drop that. If it doesn't break the bank, try a good protein bar. In my experience, Quest bars are the cleanest and high quality and taste good. Reflex R Bar is close second.  MyBar Zero from MyProtein is ok but taste and texture isn't great. 

What's Revitalize? That tea time 'snack' seems quite high-calorie. I usually just have a couple of rice cakes followed a geek yoghurt with dollop of manuka honey. Maybe a tangerine too. 

Does the green tea pill have to be just one in morning? The ones I take are 4 a day with one as soon as I wake up and others in between meals. To keep metabolism high etc. Alternatively, have a cup of matcha in between meals.
  • I male my own bar with porridge oats, peanut butter and honey... Assume that's alright?? Dunno the exact measurements of what I put in though
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Oh and I chuck in some protein powder as well
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Avoid most protein bars, they are filth.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Just do whatever makes sense to you. I gave up listening to other peoples 'flavour of the moment' shite years ago. One week X is good for you and Y is bad, the next week Y is good for you and X is bad. 

Doesn't matter what you eat some 'professional' will find fault in your diet.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Food has never been that easy for me. I've eaten pretty strict while working with a PT, and at some point she noticed I was still losing weight while I should been maintaining. Even mentioned I could have pizza once in a while (I was already doing that anyway). Still didn't feel as fit as I should have, and even now while I haven't payed too much attention to my food I get exhausted way to easily. Haven't found the best way to fuel my body yet. Might be time to track it all again. Even considering looking into the rp strength templates, seems to be something that works for a lot of people. It's hard to not get discouraged by it all.
    I don't think i have ever been overweight, but wouldn't mind looking a bit more "toned". (That one's for your @Skerret)

Anyway, decided to go for a swim at 9pm, water in the pool was super nice so splashed around for half an hour. No one else there except B. Might be time to learn the front crawl, never learned it as a kid.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Oh, and I usually have a couple of RXbars at home, mainly to take with me when biking, just in case. Used to bring them while hiking too but we don't walk long enough to get really hungry. I like them, they have em with chocolate or coconut or berries and other things.
  • I started doing weights again. I got DOMS. It hurt a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
  • Feels good, dunnit?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    "toned". (That one's for your @Skerret)
    triggered

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!