myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pff getting called out by some random at the Walmart parking lot, "I haven't seen you in the gym for a while". Didn't recognize him at all, probably because about 40% is 50+ and male.

Tsk. Yeah I took a break for two weeks, as I was getting frustrated with things I don't really have control over. Been back this week though, still need to figure out if I can find the motivation to go today. Slept badly and not feeling great.

I have been close to quitting it all though, a lot of times it just feels like I'm forcing my body to do things it's just not capable off. And I'm not sure it's worth it.

Ah well, how's your shoulder feeling @Elf?
  • Ach if you hardly slept don’t train I reckon. Lack of sleep is a stressor and you don’t need training stress on top of that. You’ll make yourself ill or something.

Shoulder is a bit better but tight and not full RoM. Some pain when raising arm sideways or straight up. Was gonna go physio today but couldn’t get authorisation from health insurer as the office was closed! They are in Scotland so probably snow affecting them. Shame. Next available appt is late next week. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just been gym and still pressing lower weights. Squats and deadlifts / pulls from floor are fine though.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Be careful with that shoulder.

Maybe see how single arms high pulls feel? I've been doing them quite a bit, sometimes as a warm up, sometimes after a session.

They have a lot of good stuff on their channel, quite a bit is shoulder related. Their performance care segment has some nice workouts, in gonna plan a couple for next week, thinking of going active for a warm up, then stretch related for after working out.
    Alan Thrall has a nice shoulder warmup video too, but that's with resistance bands and I don't have those.

My shoulder / elbow slowly starts to feel better, I'm not sure what's causing it but I think bench pressing with the wrong technique played a big part in it. I was pressing with dumbbells, and I'm pretty sure I was trying too hard to keep my elbows in line with my shoulders, and going to deep. I've moved to an empty bar now, still working on hand placement, and I'm trying to correct for my right arm as I don't trust it. I still feel something in my elbow, but I won't call it pain. I've had times where even a regular back squat would stress my elbow, that seems to have gone.
  • How is Clarence Kennedy so bloody strong?!
  • No way I'd ever do a one arm sumo deadlift. That's far too risky for my lower back.

I've hurt my achillies tendon. Had it checked, not a tear which is good news. Unfortunately no running or high impact work for awhile. Which is a bummer. Went swimming, doing a mixture of fro the crawl, back stroke a dry breast stroke. That seems to have aggrevated it. I know I should rest but I'm so used to doing g exercise 5 days a week that not doing it makes me feel rubbish.
  • Nina wrote:
    Pff getting called out by some random at the Walmart parking lot, "I haven't seen you in the gym for a while". Didn't recognize him at all, probably because about 40% is 50+ and male.

Tsk. Yeah I took a break for two weeks, as I was getting frustrated with things I don't really have control over. Been back this week though, still need to figure out if I can find the motivation to go today. Slept badly and not feeling great.

I have been close to quitting it all though, a lot of times it just feels like I'm forcing my body to do things it's just not capable off. And I'm not sure it's worth it.

Ah well, how's your shoulder feeling @Elf?

Nina, ever thought of doing classes? Sometimes working out in the gym can be difficult, especially trying to motivate yourself. Classes can be easier mentally as it's shared pain with others.
    Plus with the instructor to help, you can tailor what you do without causing or aggrevating any injuries. As I get older (happens to us all), I am focused more on strengthing my core, flexibility of my body and looking after the internal body (visceral fat).
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah, thought about doing yoga but looking at the people taking that class you either need to be into babies or botox. Since it's a 24h fitness, I don't think I'd rate any of the instructors. Looking at the pt's and it's all balance ball shit.

I'm fine with my training program. Thing that bothers me most is running out of air (can't find the correct English word right now, feels like your lungs just shrink). It's not the first time I've had this.
    When I first started exercising with a physiotherapist, this would happen during a 10 minute warm up. This was all very light exercise. Quit smoking, didn't make a difference.

Didn't work out for about a year, than started cycling to work once a week. Was a 50 minute ride, but it got harder every week and I didn't really improve my time (I always tracked it).

Around the same time I started strength training with a PT, and the same thing happens again. Unable to breath properly and blocked nose. At first she thought it would improve, but at one time we had to cut back on endurance work (which wasn't the main focus anyway). Quitting smoking again didn't make a difference either.
    Was very tired, even when resting enough.
    Had blood tests, wasn't lacking anything, wasn't allergic to anything, had a scan of my head, nose and everything looked clear. I was actually booked in for a surgery to straighten the nose bone, but canceled as personal life changed and it wouldn't have made a big difference.

Moved to California, had a lot of rest, started training again and it's the same thing again. Can't even go on a hike in the weekend without feeling awful. Going out during the week on my mtb scares me, as I'm new to it, and it's so hilly. I'm just afraid I'll be stuck somewhere with no phone reception and no breath.

That, coupled with getting dizzy easily (always had that) makes it hard. I can't even write down my reps and weights and stand up without getting dizzy. Doing a lot of squats (10+) makes me dizzy. Getting up after a bench press makes me dizzy.
    Feeling physically tired doesn't help either, bodyweight related things are really hard, I just can't keep my body under tension long enough, I just turn into a noodle after 10 seconds. Being in plank position or anything close to the ground can make me dizzy too.

I realize I shouldn't expect to see huge differences in some areas, but seeing how endurance is the easiest thing to train, and seems to be impossible to me it's frustrating. For 2 years I did a 500m row as a warm up, and I ended with worse times than I started.

Not knowing if it's physical, mental, diet, training program or something else discourages me. I don't know if I'm working towards a better me or if I'm hurting myself without realizing. I also hardly feel the mental benefits people have, I never feel really refreshed or anything after a workout.

I'm probably missing loads of details here, and this might not be the right thread for it. I haven't been to the gym this week as I slept badly last couple days and often felt dizzy in the mornings. I don't really know where to take it from here, it's all a bit too vague for a doctor to figure it out, and I don't know if I want to spend months on that, I also don't really know the American health system, and I don't want to spend money on it if I don't know I'll get a conclusion. Just grinding through it isn't really working either.
  • Nina, that's not good. Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you do get to the bottom of them, but as you said American health system isn't cheap. Could alternative health practitioners be an avenue worth exploring?

Keeping a food diary for a month or two isn't a bad idea. A) gives you an idea of what your eating B ) gives you a chance to correlate what you eat with any spells of feeling unwell etc. Plus any improvements in diet can only be good for you right?

Balance ball etc can sound like a waste of time, but they can make a big difference. Too many people (not aiming this at you) think going to the gym involves lifting weights. Classes that focus on muscle endurance, strengthening your core, improving flexibility via stretching can help with general health alot.

By the way, do you swim? Do you get the same dizziness and issue with lunges in the water?

Lastly, try emailing these guys (link below). I hear them every month on a USA podcast and they sound like they know their stuff. They are very big on what you eat affects your body type thing. They do say listeners can email with their health issues. Worth a shot?

http://criticalhealthnews.com
  • That all sounds horribly stressful and depressing, Nina. I’m shocked that no one has found anything medically despite all the checks you’ve had done. Might be a stupid question, but could it be exercise induced asthma type thing? If there is such a thing.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Nina, no good! You could try cutting out some of the standard things, sugar, wheat, dairy and see if there's any change. It's so often food, stress, sleep or some combination thereof.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll try tracking my food and seeing where I can make adjustments. I don't eat or drink that badly i think and I've tried to avoid it to be honest. I've always tried to keep an open mind about food, not stressing when you do end up at a fast food place etc. I've eaten pretty clean when working with my PT, but that led to me losing too much weight, to the point my PT said I should eat some pizza every once in a while. I do really miss that women (not only because of the pizza).

Could well be mental health, but I've felt the best I've felt in years since moving and not allowed to work (visa things). Sleep is usually pretty on point, always around 8 hours and don't have any trouble falling asleep. Takes me less than 5 minutes.

I don't think it will be asthma, B has / had that (I think he has grown over it, he's definitely better at going than me) and symptoms are different.

I'll check out that website Dino, there are a couple of others I follow (one is a Dutch Paleo blogger, the other can be found at zao nutrition), might send them all the same message and see what I get back. It's been something I've been avoiding as well, as I'm slightly scared for more shrugs and "sorry, no clue"- s.

I'll start swimming again when the weather is a bit better, can see the pool from our window (it's not an Olympic one, but there should be a couple close by). I did it a little bit last year but not enough to really stress my body.

Also gonna change my training program, thinking of going 2 weeks strength, 1 week mobility /workouts for quality.
  • Where do you guys generally shop for gym clothes? I need to get some new tops and shorts. And a hat. Looking for stuff that's half decent but not breaking the bank, but also not the cheap stuff either
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I wear the free t shirts I got from shopping supplements with Bodybuilding.com. And any cheap sweatpants from Sports Direct etc.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Where do you guys generally shop for gym clothes? I need to get some new tops and shorts. And a hat. Looking for stuff that's half decent but not breaking the bank, but also not the cheap stuff either

What the fuck am I doing in this thred lawks. 

Amazon fam. Want the sickest black puma trackies so no one is going to fuck with you on road to/from and at the gym? Boom like £13. Want some compression stuff? Rah, Under Armor stuff is routinely on sale, you can get a compression tee for like £10 sometimes, madness.

In conclusion, half decent stuff is always on sale at Amazon.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • as Roujin said amazon. also sports direct or txmaxx. i have a habit of wearing footy shirts and shorts to gym that i have picked up in sales.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Where do you guys generally shop for gym clothes? I need to get some new tops and shorts. And a hat. Looking for stuff that's half decent but not breaking the bank, but also not the cheap stuff either

Gymshark, exclusively now. Lasts for ages and looks awesome. And it’s not expensive either. Theres a sale on at the mo too, look for the outlet option in the menu. Only gymshark above the ankle, only adipure toe shoes below.
  • Aiiii will check it all out fellas, ta
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Prices too high. All you need is cheap stuff from the likes of Sports Direct.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Christ boys get a shitty tee and tear that mother up. If there aren't holes in the shoulders after a few months you're doin it wrong
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Christ boys get a shitty tee and tear that mother up. If there aren't holes in the shoulders after a few months you're doin it wrong

I thought the same but still swear by a nice top if running is your thing - sore nips are Satan.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yes to that
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    End up covered in chalk anyway.
  • I wear my ancient Uniqlo Peace Walker tees too. Big Boss, innit.
  • Nah, gymshark 4lyf brah. Vest and leggings or you’re doing it wrong.

oOMvPg.jpg
  • Vere, whats your food intake like for the week. Do you have a cheat day?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Vere, whats your food intake like for the week. Do you have a cheat day?

I do, Sunday I can eat as much of EVERYTHING as I want!

On a daily basis I’ll go through breakfast at 6 raw eggs, protein shake, bowl of porridge with almonds and raisins, then through the day 5 turkey steaks, 5 beef steaks, one pack of microwave rice, 1 pack of microwave veg, all this goes in one Tupperware container and I make sure I eat what I need every couple of hours. Then whatever my Mrs makes for tea when I get home and a protein shake before bed with another 6 raw eggs!

Pre workout is 4 pancakes, a pre workout shake and through my workout dilute whatever we have with BCAA powder mixed in! 17 stone at the minute and leaning out well, getting veins like a roadmap throughout workout now and first thing in the morning!
  • BEAST!!!
  • Do you still take Vitamin S?  :)

Also, Mrs?! Good stuff. I remember you broke up with someone a while ago and it wasn’t great, nice to hear about a Mrs Cocha!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!