Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Back and Inner Elbow gone from a bad clean last week. Fuck sake. Time for some mobility / recovery sessions. Diet is king when it comes to exercising. 

:)
  • Happy to adjust diet but reason I thought supplements might help is with family stuff; difficult to eat multiple meals in a day when I’ve got to synchronise with the little one’s mealtimes, and occasionally cook an extra meal for Mrs Elm when she gets home from work.

Something to specifically help me get some pre-workout energy, and something to maximise recovery would be nice; as I won’t always have time in the kitchen if you see what I mean.

Could start with just adding an extra mid-morning meal on days with training, but I do some sessions at around 10am which makes it hard to know what to fit in?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Protein powder will certainly help, but it really depends on your aims. If you want pure strength then eat A LOT but ideally avoid refined sugar.

You can take a pre workout supp (Vere what do you take, I use to take BCAAs but scrapped em) but I find a bit of caffeine helps.

Work out what you need for fat, protein and carbs and carve that up to suit your day.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Something to specifically help me get some pre-workout energy, and something to maximise recovery would be nice

Like the rest have said, BCAA's for muscle recovery. I'd mix in Amino Acids and Potassium tablets too if you can. You can get pre-workout drinks but most of the time a strong coffee is just as good and a banana or some carbs about an hour before hand.

Elmlea wrote:
    Could start with just adding an extra mid-morning meal on days with training, but I do some sessions at around 10am which makes it hard to know what to fit in?

Something quick and easy that will help is full fat Greek yogurt with some blueberries and granola. There are lots of quick things you can make if you're not fussy that serve as in-between meals.

Canned Tuna would be one of my go to's. Tuna, Chick Peas, Spinach Falafel and a glass of full fat milk. 

Everyone's different though :)
  • Elmlea wrote:
    difficult to eat multiple meals in a day when I’ve got to synchronise with the little one’s mealtimes

I'm assuming you can't do large meals?  I struggle with large meals so eat around 5 times a day, a couple of those being light snacks to ensure I get my protein intake.  Either a protein bar or protein shake.  Former costs more than latter.
    Elmlea wrote:
    Something to specifically help me get some pre-workout energy

For performance in the gym, caffeine is a good cheap 'un for a boost if you're not too sensitive - just have a quick black before your workout.  You want some good protein as well before a workout, if not BCAAs (supps can add up cost-wise).  Some carbs can also help if you're not watching calories too much, see Haak's suggestion (full-fat greek yoghurt is a daily for me).
    Elmlea wrote:
    and something to maximise recovery would be nice

Sleep.  You can eat as best you can, but if you don't get good quality sleep, you'll jeopardise both recovery and gains.
    But food-wise, just get plenty of protein in and you will recover well.  Milk, eggs, chicken, fish, meat, rather than plant-based. So again, assuming you can't fit in what you need during meals, have a protein shake.

^that's me, others may/will know better.

MyProtein do some affordable stuff, but they can taste like dog-shit.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I love a good pea protein Elm, swear by it
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I've got like, 15 weeks till summer holiday and really want to sort out the ol' six pack. Need to pay a lot more attention to what I'm eating now.

Not that what I'm eating is bad really, but I'm not working out volumes/macros. So will get on that.

Oh - I've got some BCAA powder now which is great while working out.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'm 6ft1 and 13 stone 3/185lbs... I feel this is heavy? I dunno what my body fat percentage is or whatever.

I feel like I'm trying to achieve opposite things - I want to build up better muscle on the arms (gunshow) but also stay lean.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • High rep deadlifts are awful. One of these days I'm going to start crying in the gym (sat on the floor in my socks).

Also, I think I could cut down to a body weight over head press. That would mean I'd have to stop eating so many bowls of granola cereal. 

'cut' might be over glamorizing stopping being such a fat cnut.
  • High rep deadlifts are indeed awful. Out of interest, why are you doing them?! I used to do one set of 20 reps. Never again. Stick to 5RM now.

BW OHP is impressive. Most I managed was 55kg 1RM at 80kg BW. I'm now sub 70 BW and my OHP has dropped but not been trying much on it since hurting shoulder a while back.
  • I'm doing them to improve my work capacity, and also to help improve my grip. Having less weight on the bar for longer seems to be good for improving my grip, as several years ago when I was doing big but boring my overhand grip was 10kg better. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. (I want to crush the shit out of everything).

I want to improve work capacity because my tested 1 rep max is a lot more than it should be based on my 5 rep max, and my 10 rep max is again much lower than might be expected. I haven't seen much to read on this, but my guess is I'm lacking fitness.

• Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
  • He is stupid strong.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Fat grips are great for your grip, just do loaded db carries till your hands fall off
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Like the video haak, only problem is injuries. I can happily high bar 90kg for 8-10 reps, but 100kg nearly kills me due to my knee, so I can't make the jump any more. I was strongest on 5/3/1 and would go back to that if my knee and hip recovered. Also my good shoulder went pop on db press which had been shite
  • Yeah, I nearly hit buy on them a few weeks ago. Farmers walks, deadlifts, finger curls, static holds and gripper work is probably enough without laying down the £20 for now.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I've just tried to broaden my horizon where educating myself on mobility and technique is concerned. Some of what he's talking about makes sense but I get told varying different opinions every day of the week.

Front rack position with an actual grip instead of letting the bar rest on your fingers is a new idea for me. I've been trying to execute it this past week but it's difficult after years of the latter. 

@Skerret, you talking about high bar squats?
  • I don’t work on flexibility or movement, I just rock big massive metal things. I really have a lack of flexibility because of ovemuscled areas which are awful to control. I can’t lay down flat, I can’t get some clothes on and off without help. However...it’s AWESOME being a tank, “Yo pass me that 85kg DB weakling, and I don’t need a spot, I just want you to watch, it empowers me”.
  • Now suck my dick
  • nick_md wrote:
    Now suck my dick

WHILST I PRESS BIATCHHHHHH!!!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    That took a turn.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    That took a turn.

That’s what HE said!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    I've just tried to broaden my horizon where educating myself on mobility and technique is concerned. Some of what he's talking about makes sense but I get told varying different opinions every day of the week.

Front rack position with an actual grip instead of letting the bar rest on your fingers is a new idea for me. I've been trying to execute it this past week but it's difficult after years of the latter. 

@Skerret, you talking about high bar squats?
    Yep.

Tell Vere I said have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!
  • I hit a pb on squats on Sunday, so now I'm officially the strongest I've ever been in all my lifts, while simultaneously not being the fattest I've ever been.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Woohoooo
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm now 2 reps shy of moving to 40kg chins (3x5 attempt) but being I'm also the lightest I've been for ages its a bit cheaty
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    +points for nonfat. What weight/reps and what bodyweight?

My squat is still rubbish and has been stuck at 90-105 for about 4 years, yessssss
  • That pullup is absolutely beastly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!