Monster Hunter
  • Cool hunting in the early hours of my morning before work Nina and CiT.

Hornbro aka the Monster Whisperer lol
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Bagged a Teostra at the first time of asking. Surprised, as I didn't know what to expect going in and got wiped out twice in the first half of the fight. Then I wasn't even sure it was close to death. Pleased with the way it ended too:
    Spoiler:
  • Rolled the credits yesterday, the last boss rush was cool except maybe the amount of time the last one spent flying.

Not sure if I’ll play other games now or if the true Monster Hunter just started.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nice Teostra win there, Jon! What's the easiest way to record videos? Pushing the share button brings up that menu and I don't want to die because of that.

Update soon, they announced a DMC armour set and charge blade, the live stream (I think) should start in a couple hours. Deviljho is known, curious what else they will announce.

@fullspec, good job on getting to the credits, might be worth to stick around for at least the spring DLC. I always enjoy the end game, you've got some more freedom and goals to work to. Want to finish all optional quests? Unlock canteen ingredients? Make some fun weapons and armour sets? Grind for that decoration you want? I've definitely cut down a bit on my play time (hello again, full night of sleep!) but am enjoying every fight. Even if it's tempered Bazel.

And of course thanks for the hunts again CiT and Ayns, not jealous of that protective polish at all. At least now I know tier 2 / hr30 quests give them.
  • Nina wrote:
    Nice Teostra win there, Jon! What's the easiest way to record videos? Pushing the share button brings up that menu and I don't want to die because of that.
    I hit share then hit square to save the clip. It only takes a couple of seconds, but yes you want to wait for a convenient moment.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    The grind for decorations and hero streamstones is pretty punishing.  I have three or four hero stones for ranged weapons but zero for hammer/horn.

Here are numbers.  Threat level 2 gives 26% of a warped feystone, which has an 18% chance of being Rarity 7, of which there are 22 different decorations so that works out at...a low number, plus a small chance of getting one in the quest rewards.  I'm still yet to find some of the Rarity 8 decorations but I have what I need to make everything work.  Most of the time the decoration just allows me to switch to the Attack charm rather than whatever specific one I was using, though I was glad to get Free Element so I could ditch the Dober hat.
  • ayns wrote:
    Cool hunting in the early hours of my morning before work Nina and CiT.

Hornbro aka the Monster Whisperer lol

Yeah - was a good hunt. Glad I’ve managed to play with you a few times, already, even if it’s just a hunt or two.

Watching the livestream for the spring update now - they’re going on a hunt and yeah...the Japanese like their Kirin armour.
  • Deviljho in the house on the 22nd. One of my faves.
  • Yeah, lots of nice details and events, and another update a month after, apparently.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Just watched the gaijin video about the update, sounds all very solid.
    Spoiler:
    Just must of the things mentioned in the stream there, I'm happy. Seems they really listened to complaints from people, which is nice.

• I love how I’ve got about three quarters through the story, and I have no idea what everyone is talking about in the endgame.  Mohan is deep!
  • I love how I’ve got about three quarters through the story, and I have no idea what everyone is talking about in the endgame.  Mohan is deep!

Yeah, game is incredibly generous. New features will unlock after 60 hours, then 100 or so hours, then 200 hours (depending on how you play). There’s things I haven’t yet seen (due to poor luck / RNG) and I’m 260 hours deep. Insane.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Horn additions are great. Gunlance changes seem weird but i'll experiment to see how it goes. I'll wait to see if the shell damage buff at low sharpness means the damage in good sharpness is nerfed.

It'll be interesting trying to land burst fire at low sharpness without the first hit always deflecting. You'll probs have to intentionally miss.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Are the gunlance changes confirmed as a buff then?  It seems backwards and I thought we were assuming it was a fudged translation.  Horn buffs are always welcome but I would've preferred stun over damage, or just a lowering of the KO thresholds in multiplayer.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going back to 4U and cleaning up the end of G-rank now I've hit the wall.  I need to get revenge on Crimson Fatalis, the cheap bastard.  Maybe I'll fall into relic hunting for those multicoloured conch shell horns.  I do love World but the endgame just isn't there yet, hopefully the DLC plans have expanded given its commercial success.

Wistful nostalgia alert: the lobby system on the 3DS games also generated a much friendlier atmosphere.  World feels very impersonal by comparison and the only times it's felt like the MH MP I love is when doing arena quests with randoms.  Adding "return to gathering hub" is a step in the right direction but I'd really want an option of 4-player lobbies with the ability to enforce turn-taking.  SOS is great but I feel like it's come at the cost of traditional lobbies.  Maybe it'll settle into that once everyone reaches the endgame stuff.

I'll still play Jho of course but there's no horn to make.  Need Nibelsnarf but I suspect he's pretty low on the wishlist for most.  I predict Zinogre, Tigrex, Rajang and maybe Gore Mag, place your bets.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    How many hours do you have now in World? I'm getting closer to 200, not feeling bored yet, but it does help that most of my sessions last days have been with Child and Ayns. Little chat, usually no longer than 2 hours. Enough time to do some elder dragon and tempered monsters. There's still a lot of decorations I don't have.

And I thought Jho would have all 14 weapons?

Agree with you on the 4 player hub, that usually felt good in 4u/Gen. I don't SOS that much, but always feel slightly sad when you've had a good fight and everyone just kinda disappears. No arm wrestling when someone is posting the next quest, no guild cards trades. I had a fun tziki event arena quest, we started with 3 random people, the gate was closed and we were all prancing while waiting for a 4th person to join.

Nibel would be nice, bomb fishing is fun. Than smashing it's head with a hammer. Zinogre seems obvious, that actually goes for the other 2 as well.

I want Royal Ludroth and the 4 Generations monsters.

I don't want Najarala, please let that one go extinct. I hate it even more than Yian Garuga.
  • Dubs wrote:
    Wistful nostalgia alert: the lobby system on the 3DS games also generated a much friendlier atmosphere.  World feels very impersonal by comparison and the only times it's felt like the MH MP I love is when doing arena quests with randoms.  Adding "return to gathering hub" is a step in the right direction but I'd really want an option of 4-player lobbies with the ability to enforce turn-taking.  SOS is great but I feel like it's come at the cost of traditional lobbies.

Agreed, me & my eldest lad were talking about the same thing the other day. Just feels a little.... strange returning on your jack jones & it was a little easier to bang out your guild card & have a beer whilst waiting for a quest post.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The difficulties with horn stun I guess is they don't want to put hammers out of a job. Peeps did the mathcore to figure out horn stun is so comparatively weak it's barely mentioning. I always wear a stamina thief charm with horn since exhaust is something at least.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    No good against Elders though.  Is the stun really that bad?  It looks ok on paper but I still usually use Slugger+3 for multiplayer so my experience may be skewed.  I pretty much exclusively attack the head unless there's a hammer there.

@Nina:  Well over 300 hours I think, so hardly surprising I've burned out, not wishing to sound down on the game as I obviously find it quite compelling.  I did a lot of tempered elder dragons then went crown hunting, interspersed with the building of new loadouts/weapons when I got good decorations.

I just assumed no Jho horn because there wasn't one before, I'll still grab the greatsword because it looks daft.
  • I think the stun buff is mainly for multiplayer, tbh. I’m running Stun 3, Stamina thief 3 and sometimes combine that with the arena hammer for paralysis. In single player, it wrecks - KOs for days, the monsters never knew what hit them. In multiplayer that diminishes massively and I think is making hammer / horn less fun for some people. I don’t think it needs to be a massive buff, just enough to make sure that repeated head hits can reliably bring a KO or two.

I know you’re talking horn, but maybe the hammer experience is somewhat relevant.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Absolutely, reducing the KO thresholds in multiplayer would be my preferred solution.  Main horn loadout is Bazel horn with Handicraft+3, weakness exploit+3, earplugs+5 then I think I have health boost and maximum might+1 to fill out the rest of the slots.

I like the arena hammer but Diablos with handicraft (enough for a sliver of white), protective polish (to protect said sliver) and non-elemental boost is just too good.  Augment for affinity and attack, fill it out with weakness exploit and whatever other affinity boosting stuff you have, speed-sharpening for reapplication of polish.  Apply this to all Diablos weapons to win the game.
  • Diablos hammer is incredible - it’s just that I only use Diablos gear (hammer / bow) for farming. Yes, the DPS is optimal, but I loathe to min-max. I wanna wreck shit while looking and feeling awesome.

Case in point, having fun with my Vaal hammer. Looks dope as fuck.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    No good against Elders though.

Ahhh had a niggling feeling they didn't get tired. More fool me for farming Vaal with my Jagras SA for the exhaust phial last night.
  • There's Kushala Daora done. Enjoyed that.

Took it slow and guarded a lot. Tons of flash pods, of course. It did get me once in the last phase, but overall not too much trouble. Have actually found it tougher helping others do it in MP after.
  • Credits rolling. Final boss was a good one. Took me down to my last life before I finally finished it off.

The only one I didn't really like of the elders was the rotten vale thing. Had one go and failed then just joined someone else's effort and did it in a group of 4. I dunno, it didn't seem suited to a close range fighter.

So, question is what now. Will certainly play on a bit more, but not sure if I'm up for a long grind.
  • And jumped to HR 29. Nice.
  • You are, so far, the only person to like the final boss ;-)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think if they plan their DLC well this game could have a long life span. I'm still enjoying the post credits stuff, have 1 9* optional quest that I need to do (failed twice with randoms. Why are you joining my quest and then abandon it) and I know there's one more to unlock, maybe more.

I'm looking forward to Deviljho in a couple days, but also the Spring Festival. Looks fun, and I'm happy for all event quests to return, as I ignored the ones that gave you easy crowns. Didn't know about them.

• mrsmr2 wrote:
    You are, so far, the only person to like the final boss ;-)
    Really? I just thought it was a good challenge in terms of positioning, blocking and timing attacks. And suitably epic for the finale. (That effluvium poisoning thing on the one before was much more irritating for me.)

Although that also means I can't see myself wanting to repeat it over and over for crafting bits. Might be OK in MP I suppose, but then failure's always more likely.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    There comes a point where i have to start blowing my own trumpet: i am unbeaten at Arm Wrestling. And i don't just mean friends list contenders (failures), but randoms too! 

It's gotta be 40-0 by now, if not more. ;)

Maybe after the patch when 4F becomes more popular i'll get some actual competition.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Xeno's arena is way too big imo. Also little niggles like he's unmountable and unflashable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!