Monster Hunter
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Xeno's arena is way too big imo. Also little niggles like he's unmountable and unflashable.
    Dragon pods bring him down. At least I think that's what happened.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah but it's removing a mechanic for no real reason except he's the end game boss he needs his gimmicks.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hnnggg I made a pretty awesome looking set for my new dual blades (sorry if I was tripping you with them this morning Jon, only used them a couple times). Main goal was to look cool with the sunglasses from last week's event quest.

So it's sunglasses, Nergigante, dober, bazel en dober, head to toe. Looks very rock, has stamina surge or something which might be useful for the db's. Has quite a few slots so that's nice, think I had two 3 point slots (so I have earplugs level 3 too I think).

I just can't try it out yet as B is playing TLG right now.

Ready to rock them blades! (and shades)
  • Up to HR 43 after doing the 2 purple Bazelgeuse assignment. My strategy on that was to call on some other hunters and just try to survive while they did most of the damage. Not a good monster to fight with a slow movement close range weapon, I find.

I made a set of rare armour as well today. Went for the Kirin set in the end, mainly for style of course. Sometimes swapping out the head piece for the eye patch.

I probably should try a new weapon type at some point, but instead seem to be creating a full set of gunlances. Not the smartest thing to do, or the best use of my time, I just kind of like the idea.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I got most of the swords and shields, there's 1 more left I want to make. Think I only miss 3 by then. Nothing wrong with that. At some point I want to make armour sets that go well with all the elements /status effects.

I switched to a bow for Bazel, cleared the quest the same way as you. It's definitely doable with melee weapons, I watched some of Maestro Nox's Bazel runs with the sns, he has no trouble with them.

Played around a bit with the dual blades last night, lot of fun. Made the workshop ones as they look good, and I don't have the materials for the fire and ice ones. Only did about 5 Odagoran's, single player and online. A lot of fun, I'm just a bit unsure which moves trip other people.

Deviljho in two days people. Hope they'll release him with the event quests, that means I should get them same time as the rest. (bounties are always late).
  • Captured my first Deviljho on an expedition. Not too tough.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Try playing it with randoms and not abandon the quest because someone called "ASS" is in there, who has a "ride it, faygot" shootout when someone mounts, "I'll ra3p this monster" shootout when he is the one mounting and his greeting on the guild card is "Let's murder". Then a 4th person joins called iGodxNemziss, who also had some questionable shootouts, but not too offensive.
    That nearly killed a bit of the game for me, I've so far always played with Japanese people, so can't read the shout outs, people that made some genuinely funny ones and the standard shout outs. There would always be a "thumbs up" sticker or "good game" shootout.
    I couldn't find a way to block or report players, which would be a shame.

At least no one carted, and seeing randoms die to Vaal all the time, that was a surprise. I don't think he should be a really tough monster (he's not an elder dragon) but more a really aggressive one, that shows up whenever it feels like it. I had it in a pitfall trap and it keep biting at me. I just wanted to get some damage in. When I went for the actual capture and watched it back in Astera, you can see it twitching in it's sleep the whole time, nice touch.
  • I've played a lot with randoms (probably at least 50% English language with some Japanese and a few French and Spanish) and haven't seen stuff like that. Although I'm not sure I'd notice if it did happen - I don't tend to pay much attention. Would be pretty shit if I did notice it, for sure.

Anyway, the Deviljho gunlance is a real beast. Considerably bigger than any of the others and pretty mean looking. Need to upgrade it once more to hit full power. Problem is I need a material from carving and everyone keeps capturing it when I join their games.

Not sure how much more I've got left in me on the game overall. Tempered fights might keep my interest, but there's only so many times you can do the same thing. It's still fun dropping in with a bunch of people to take down some of the bigger beasts though (despite a lot of failures on Teostra and Vaal Hazak). I have passed the 100 hour mark now anyway. In 4 weeks that's a hell of a lot of monster hunting, so perhaps a break is in order. I'm away next week, which is probably good timing.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    All the Deviljho weapons seem to be great, I've made the first sword and shield, need to upgrade. Thinking of making the charge blade too, that just looks too good. Not sure about the armour, the skills aren't too bad (apart from latent power), handicraft and part breaker, but the beta version is a bit meh. Base defense is also under 300.

For carving, you could try changing one of your shootouts to "can we carve the monster?" or something. I've seen people asking for tails and that seemed to work.

There's a spring update coming, which is gonna change the gathering hall and could be fun (all the event quests are supposed to come back, new poogie costume). Think that'll start April 2nd.
    At the end of the Deviljho/weapon balance stream they hinted at another bigger update in April, and I think that has been confirmed by now.
    As long as they keep that up, I'll see me playing this once or twice every week. Still having a weekly session in Generations and that's a lot of fun too. This game does feel easier but that doesn't take away the solid mechanics.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Is it me or does the loading seem slower (when they said they'd improved it)?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Felt slower for me too yesterday, seemed better today.

Tempered elder dragon event quest is life, start gathering those tracks!

Have been hunting odagoron on my own tonight, finally got my gem after 5 hunts (not the first night I was trying to get one). I love that fight, was using a paralyze sns and my palico made friends with a Girros. Paralyze all the time. Also got bothered by bazel while carving 3 out of 5 times. Why...
  • Doing a few Xeno Jiiva's with randoms. A couple of successes so far, and a couple of failures.

I've switched to light bowgun for this and a few other monsters. A bit of speed and range makes all the difference. Even with the sheath charm, trying to keep up with Xeno's movements with a gunlance is too much hassle.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So the horn basically got a +15% damage buff. Not bad.

Gunlance changes weren't as serious as feared. Business as usual.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Heh, Capcom just sneaked a Tempered Deviljho into the event quests. Well played.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    He can give both Warrior and Hero streamstones, too, possibly at a higher rate than normal given that people are getting multiples.  I just want it to stop giving me ranged ones, I have like 10 Warrior and 5 Hero for ranged and still lack a Hero stone for Hammer.

edit: ok it's definitely a high chance.  Two hunts, five streamstones, two of them hero.  No hammer though...

Pickle horn is pretty great but the sound gets lost in the mix.
  • Still running through the story, thank you v much to dubs last night for the help with the Rathalos. Enjoying this a massive amount.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ugh, that tempered Jho kicked my ass, tried twice with the sns, failed. Tried once with the lance, failed. Didn't dare to try with randoms.

Spend the rest of my night doing Xeno and Nergi (wanted to get rid of some investigations for that one, I need 3 gems, got 1 luckily). The amount of failed quests is probably more than the total I had before. Very frustrating.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Apologies to RelentlessJon if the chat came across like I didn't want to party. I need all the help I can get!

I've not played much Mp and was asking if it brought you back automatically as you took a while to appear and I was wondering if you had to manually jump back in.

I wasn't doing anything particularly fancy as I'm a low level scrub. I just finished sending Zorah to the ocean.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • No worries, I got caught up making dinner and had to come and go a bit. Was just jumping in when I had the chance and then had to go.

Always up for joining in if I see you (or anyone) about though. It hasn't happened much this week.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, I don't have a lot of time so am not bothered about doing stuff solo. Plus I need bro's to doot my horn at.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Nina wrote:
    Ugh, that tempered Jho kicked my ass, tried twice with the sns, failed. Tried once with the lance, failed. Didn't dare to try with randoms.
    Just dropped in on Dubs doing that quest and nearly screwed it up for him. Got carted 3 times and just about scraped through. Don't even think I really made major mistakes either, except maybe the last one - it hits really hard.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Even with augmented armour he could hit me for 80%, plus the defence-down (take Adamant Seeds to nullify this), so I'd started lancing him.  Slow and steady.  He's not available any more, unfortunately, but hopefully he'll return in some form as I still need a hero streamstone for hammer, Jho just gave me more ranged and shaft ones.

Having tougher hunts like that is great in MP as it forces everyone to work as a team and I think it's the first time in World where a monster has felt strong enough to take on four hunters.  It's annoying when nobody in the hunt seems to know what lifepowder is but worth it when you're all working in sync, flashbombing, trapping, buffing and healing because a short-tempered Jho just won't calm down.  I even had a few hunts where people actually came back to camp with me to repeat the quest.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Its been confirmed that Tempered Jho will be back for the entire duration of the upcoming Spring Event.
  • isanbard wrote:
    Ay JellyBean it's a night and day difference for me. I didn't even have to disconnect the PSU just lift it up and out the way, blow a good hoof of air through the vanes of the heatsink, gave the fanblades a quick once over with an earbud and back together sharpish.  Didn't take long at all.  I've gone the full thermal paste route with the old launch PS4 way back when and that had some decent enough results but it's a whole hell of a lot more of a faff. It getting a bit noisy again too so I might crack that open later to see if I can get away with the same psu trick.

Only just got around to doing this, as sadly that's how often I get to turn it on these days (outside using it to watch kid's films). It made a world of difference! I'm also now lying it down flat (annoyingly doesn't look as neat but there we are) and had it fully unplugged for 2 days, which I'm sure didn't hurt either. Gonna do a quick optional hunt to get used to the controls again.

Thanks for the tip @isanbard, really appreciate it!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Loading times are starting to annoy me. Decided to take it a bit easier until spring fest, and just relax with expeditions and try to go for the 4 rare creatures. Have just finished the bounties leading up to that, but the whole loading before and after an expedition is taking the speed out of it a bit.
  • Tell me about it.  I stopped playing console 6 years ago and got a cheap ps4 just for MH.

On PC I get good framerates and almost no loading times in every game.  MH was a massive shock in comparison.  

No MH I've played has had loading times like this (can't comment on the PS2 games but doubt they would be bad).  PSP, Wii, 3DS are all very fast with 4U being the slowest (not played Gen).

Just as well it's awesome.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Doesn't seem too bad on the Xbox One X - But again, an SSD equipped PC is going to rain all over it.
  • They do seem worse since the update, especially the last cm of the bar.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    New event quests are up, just had a quick go at the egg lovers one, I need that new hat! Got it, also got a couple of steel and silver eggs as rewards, might do this a few more times.

There's also one with the Rotten Vale monsters, hopefully that's a crown quest as that's where I've started to focus last few days. Want to save money for the Zenny trophy so not making much new stuff right now.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    45 Odogaron hunted and still no small crown. I'm doing the effluvial opera quest but no luck. Think I'm just gonna do all the Odo investigations I've unlocked by now, might get some gems out of it that way, and more money rewards. Halfway my million zenny trophy. I'm at 4 or 5 Bazel gems, and went up quite a few ranks thanks to that event quest, but not sure how much more I want to do it for that small crown Odo.

Also made the Deviljho hunting horn (not the final upgrade yet) and tried it in the egg lovers quest on my own. Not as complicated as I first thought, could be quite a bit of fun. Would be nice to use when I'm joining randoms. One question about it, when and how do you play the songs? Use R2 near the monster and get some hits in, or is it better to create some distance and play them then, incl encores and everything?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!