Monster Hunter
  • So apart from the roads, education, sanitation, security, .... what have the Romans done for us?

:-)

Page turn :-(
  • Found better Val randos tonight.  Only had one failure.

Failed solo to Kushala.  I think he is the cheapest elder dragon.  Roar, charge, hit as you get up.  The others have their moments but nothing as inevitable as Kush's combo of doom.

Good news is the patch seems to have fixed the lightning issues.  Tobi Maguire is now fine to fight and Elders Recess doesn't have the periodic stutter.
  • Kushala down now.  Didn't get combo'd once which was obviously down to my god-like positioning and nothing to do with complete luck.

Died once to a him catching me in one tornado, hitting me, and sending me into another immediately behind me.  Spent a fun 10 seconds of trying to  throw a flash bomb but I never had control.

With wind proof skils he would be quite easy but without I think he's the toughest ED.

Going to farm him with randos now.
  • Yeah, he can be annoying if tornadoes are allowed to snowball.

Plopped out a full set of G2 Soul seer Mitsutsune gear. Beat G5 version too. I do like how the various Deviant fights work in GU. Lots to do.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Farmed Kush with randos.  He is tedious.  At least the Rathosii (similar airborne dudes) do stuff when they are flying about to give them some interest.
  • Straight to HR29 this time - I'd been farming the EDs so the HR points had racked up.
  • And then HR32 after that quest.

The grind is now on.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Currently working through the 5* Village Quests on my Prowler-only-playthrough. I chose to unlock/learn a capture skill for gaijinhunter's Protection Prowler because i didn't want to grind and use an underpowered Assist Cat. 

I prefer traps anyway because it reduces hunting time, especially when a Palico is faster than any Monster (without wings) so its easy to cut off any escape routes.  ;) And! i don't need specific mats for my gear, so the caps versus kills argument doesn't apply.

Really looking to getting online next week when i'm back home. I should be tooled-up by then and breeze through the first few HR's.

Love this game all over again.
  • Bagged AT Kushala set on PS4 this weekend. Cool handicraft pieces but a tad lacklustre AT battle experience imo.

HR 70 in GU, loving it!

Now off to meet Deviljho on PC.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Characters from Monster Hunter 3's Moga Village are showing up in MHGU, and it's making me happier than it should.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Just done Jho on PC.  Amazing experience at full frame rate.  229 defence makes this game rather challenging now.
  • I'm not high enough rank for that one yet. Taking my sweet time ramping up to Pink Rath.
  • Is it true that element damage on weapons is basically meaningless if you're not using a mashy fast one?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Sword and Shield, Dual Blades, Long Sword, Bow and LBG are good for elemental damage afaik. Might have forgotten one.

Managed a couple hours on GenU while my mom's here, just doing the LR village requests I hadn't done yet. Love it so far, can't wait to look into new weapons etc. Just sticking with the Insect Glaive for now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Is it true that element damage on weapons is basically meaningless if you're not using a mashy fast one?
    Nina wrote:
    Yes

News to me. Why only fast weapons?

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I’d add lance. Possibly gunlance but not sure if it hits as often as a lance (not used it).
  • Element damage is a fixed amount of damage per hitzone of the monster eg front leg. A great sword with 170 (real value 17) thunder will do the same amount of element damage per hit as a SnS with 170 thunder.

While the gs will have hit once or twice the sns will have hit numerous times doing a lot more element damage.

The gs will have a done a ton more raw damage though.

So element on a great sword is pointless. Might have been arguments in previous games where you needed element to break specific parts but I don’t think World has anything like that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ahh. Cheers.
  • But presumably if you've two weapons with the same apparent raw value but one has an element on it too, you're best using that one on a given monster that's weak to it? Or am I not getting it
  • Raw had a more complicated formula.  But the key thing is that each attack movement has a different amount of damage.  E.g. a level 3 GS charged attack might do 150% damage in one hit while a SnS combo of 5 hits might do 20%, 30%, 20%, 20%, 20% (110% in total).  The SnS will have hit 5 times and delivered less damage raw but will add 5 hits of element damage while the GS will only add one hit of element damage.  (These percentages are made up)

The attack movement values are what I look for instead of the raw in a weapon.  In general the larger the damage, the slower the attack is going to be.

Just googled and this is a good resource for the real attack percentages.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I always forge one of each flavour and take whichever that particular monster is weakest to, even if the base damage is lower. 

But thats just me.
  • That's because you are a kleptomaniac :-)  

And it has to be said element weapons are more exciting than pure raw.  Apart from Dragon - I'm using Nergi's switch axe and dragon element is the least visually appealing effect.

Not sure if this game makes Blast sound like an element (it's a status).  That doesn't have the same damage per hit like element, it builds up with each hit and then goes boom.  Than can be effective.
  • Curtis, are you a db or ls main?  Or do you use a variety of weapons?
  • Curtis wrote:
    I always forge one of each flavour and take whichever that particular monster is weakest to, even if the base damage is lower.  But thats just me.

I'm doing this too, hence my queries on whether I'm wasting my damn time or not.

At over 100hrs in now, talking about timewasting at all seems a little moot, but.
  • Have a look at this as I think you are gunlancer.

I don't know much about gunlance to comment.
  • They're definitely right about wyrmstake finishing being faff, ime. I only ever do that by accident.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Curtis, are you a db or ls main?  Or do you use a variety of weapons?

Longsword and Charge Blade, primarily.
  • Meanwhile, I’ve been basically happy with the quality of my randos recently. Good rate of buffing and care, no stupidities at capture point, very few failures due to carting

It can’t possibly last
  • Sometimes I feel like a coward for not running Horn though
    Those people are fucking saints

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!