PEECEE HELP
  • Woodimari wrote:
    Couple of questions: Firstly, I was wondering if there is a decent alternative to Microsoft Office? The version I have on my PC is mega slow, giving me a "Not responding" error for 10 seconds every 30 seconds and then sorting itself out. I'd rather it didn't cost me anything but if anything I just want something that works. The other thing is that I'm a little worried that my iPod is on its last legs. It's a 120gb classic and I don't want an iPod Touch, I will probably get a 160gb classic in the new year. My current one is getting a bit slow, at first use it takes about 10 seconds to start playing a song and it always takes a little while to get to a different menu/artist. I was wondering if there is a decent program to transfer my music from my iPod onto my PC? Again a free program would be ideal but in this case, keeping all of my music is my main priority. Some of it I don't have access to anymore and don't want to lose it so I don't mind paying something for a program that really works.
    You want open office

Second, I don't know much about but a quick read through this link suggests it's easy enough.
  • google wrote:
    building of a shuttle based PC that could play modern games with nothing but the onboard graphics card. Would you like me to hunt down the info? I think a fully built machine (able to play CODBLOPS at 40FPS) was around the $500 mark including Windows 7.

Was this based on the AMD trinty CPU? I've been playing with the idea of using it as the basis for a budget PC to fiddle with. The AMD A10-5800K benchmarks very well against the similarly priced i3 in terms of games.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    Cheers for the @Pie, both look ideal!
  • google wrote:
    building of a shuttle based PC that could play modern games with nothing but the onboard graphics card. Would you like me to hunt down the info? I think a fully built machine (able to play CODBLOPS at 40FPS) was around the $500 mark including Windows 7.
    Was this based on the AMD trinty CPU? I've been playing with the idea of using it as the basis for a budget PC to fiddle with. The AMD A10-5800K benchmarks very well against the similarly priced i3 in terms of games.

Yup. Let me drag out the article NCIX sent me.

To reiterate, for less than $500 you are getting an:
    AMD A8-560k Quad Core (or A10 for an extra $20)
    This is fused with a Radeon 7560D graphics card
    ASUS F2A85-M/CSM MOBO
    8GB RAM
    1TB SATA HDD
    DVD burner
    Tiny Tower with 300W PSU
    Windows 7 64bit

FOR UNDER $500!!!!!!!

fuck me - I almost bought one just to have in the bedroom

Here's the link: http://source.ncix.com/eblast/eblast-Vesta-10052012/index.html
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    That is pretty damn awesome, I was looking at a rig for the living room when I move out not only for films/tv but something I could play my games on when the missus is having an early night as the main rig is in the bedroom.

I assume that buying the parts separately would cost a little bit less too?
  • Woodimari wrote:
    That is pretty damn awesome, I was looking at a rig for the living room when I move out not only for films/tv but something I could play my games on when the missus is having an early night as the main rig is in the bedroom. I assume that buying the parts separately would cost a little bit less too?

Yup. Just configed the A10 version and it's running me $425 without installation or Windows OS.

$425!!!!!!!!!!! That's not so far away from being the same price as a PS3 over here...
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    Jesus that's about £270. That is ridiculous.
  • I just bought this from NCIX in their black friday deal:

NCIX PC Bundle Deal AMD A8-3870K 8GB 1TB DVDRW A55 350W Fractal Design Case 

$269.99

1 x Antec Basiq BP350 350WATT ATX12V V2.01 80mm Quiet Fan ATX Power Supply

1 x Fractal Design Core 1000 mATX Computer Case

1 x Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive OEM

1 x FREE Colin McRae Dirt 3 PC Game Digital Download Coupon ** Gigabyte Promo Only **

1 x Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 mATX AMD FM1 A55 1PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI DDR3 DVI RAID SATA3 USB 2.0 Motherboard

1 x AMD A8-3870K Black APU Quad Core Processor w/ Radeon 6550D HD GFX Socket FM1 3.0GHZ 4MB Retail Box

1 x LG GH24NS72 24X SATA Internal DVD Writer Black OEM

Electronics Recycling Fee $0.90 Per Item

1 x AMD Entertainment Edition 8GB 2X4GB PC3-12800U DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9 1.5V Memory Module W/O Heatsink
  • So yeah, I bought a $270 HTPC which will play CODBLOPS at 40PS on medium settings at 1080p. It comes with 1TB, 8GB or RAM and HDMI out. So it's essentially a really fucking great media server that'll play modern games on medium settings for around the price of a PS3.

No idea why I've done this - but it was sooooooo fucking cheap I had to go.

I also got a 2TB 7200RPM seagate drive for $70 for my desktop (I'm running out of space quickly), one of those HTPC keyboard/mice things, Powerline adapter, and a 1TB portable seagate harddrive from my macbook. 

Total price, under $570 including tax, delivery and recycling fee.

YES!!!

No idea when I'm going to actual use this stuff though - I'm off to Boston for three weeks, then it's Christmas, then it's back to work...
  • Cool. That is the FM1 socket, the newer A10 uses the FM2 socket from what I understand. But obviously costs a bit more.

Also, you can crossfire these things with a discrete AMD video card for some extra punch down the line.
  • If i want to find something on my computer, say for example something saved as 'downloads', is there a way to search without it automatically opening the downloads folder? I want a list of results to be returned.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    You mean a list you can copy as text and/or print?
  • Well normally when i type something into the search box (i'm using windows vista, if that makes a difference) it brings up a list of files and/or programmes with similar names. However, to give another example, if i search for 'certificate', which i actually want to as i need the scan of my bachelors certificate, it automatically opens up some 'create digital certificate' programme thing instead, which is kind of annoying. It's happened a few times with various other things i've been looking for
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There should be a more results or show files link. I forget now. Been ages since I used Vista.
  • Yes it seems there was. All i needed to do was click on 'search' rather than press 'enter' once i'd finished typing. Thanks anyway
  • Cool. That is the FM1 socket, the newer A10 uses the FM2 socket from what I understand. But obviously costs a bit more. Also, you can crossfire these things with a discrete AMD video card for some extra punch down the line.

Yeah, I just realised that after excitedly placing the order.

The A10 is an extra $25 or so (which is nothing) and I've emailed NCIX asking if they can just swap it out for me and charge me the extra.

I'm just a little worried that the reason the whole build is so cheap is because they want to get rid of old parts - but hopefully it works out.
  • google wrote:
    Cool. That is the FM1 socket, the newer A10 uses the FM2 socket from what I understand. But obviously costs a bit more. Also, you can crossfire these things with a discrete AMD video card for some extra punch down the line.
    Yeah, I just realised that after excitedly placing the order. The A10 is an extra $25 or so (which is nothing) and I've emailed NCIX asking if they can just swap it out for me and charge me the extra. I'm just a little worried that the reason the whole build is so cheap is because they want to get rid of old parts - but hopefully it works out.

If you swap the processor, you'll also need a different motherboard.
  • Yeah, they wont do it anyway. Not a big deal really, I'm more curious about the capabilities of the machine for the price point and will use it as a media server/HTPC with more functionality than any AppleTV/Boxee/etc on the market.

The fact it will play some games is more of a bonus.
  • google wrote:
    Yeah, they wont do it anyway. Not a big deal really, I'm more curious about the capabilities of the machine for the price point and will use it as a media server/HTPC with more functionality than any AppleTV/Boxee/etc on the market. The fact it will play some games is more of a bonus.

Exactly - I'm intrigued too so please post up the results. Also, I bet it still looks considerably better than the current console gen.
  • Why is Shockwave constantly crashing in Chrome these days?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Because Bumblebee was mean to him?
  • Flash plugin and Shockwave plugin clashing each other to fuckery. Totes disabled one of them. BANGINYOURFACEWIZKIDS.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Why do you even need Shockwave?
  • I have no idea. I dont think I installed it. Does it not come with Chrome?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Doubtful.
  • Getting the wife a new laptop.

She currently has a rather clunky mac which is c6 years old.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience of Dell laptops, specifically their xps range? 

Intel® Core™ i5-3317U processor (1.70 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.60 GHz - UMA, 8GB RAM & TPM)

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

256GB Solid State Hard Drive

8GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

For just over a grand.
  • Seems pricey.

I got my current laptop from Sony outlet store. There's a Dell outlet store too. Sometimes both have some killer deals.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Dell, great if you get a good one, terrible if you get a bad one. Think carefully before skipping over the on site warranty.

You shouldn't really be paying list price for one, look for offers or outlet machines.

Lenovo are I think the most keen on price
  • Quality of Lenovo? 

To be honest the wife only wants one to write with and mess around with photos.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If you're planning a lot of typing then it's worth looking at the Lenovo Think range as they have what are widely regarded to be the best keyboards in the business.

As for quality, mine's (ThinkPad Edge) been fine except the keyboard had a dodgy key that didn't register press reliably so I emailed tech support (which is all handled by IBM) and they sent me a new keyboard no questions. Build wise it's solid if not luxurious. But it did only cost £430 for an i5 with 7200rpm HDD 12 months ago.

The 'just over' a grand for the Dell could get you a ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!