PEECEE HELP
  • The WD:TV stuff used to be highly rated. 

No idea if it's still the best.

(Edit - changed video)

I'd tend to go cheap Chinese Android myself, but then I'm a tight bastard.
  • Any advice on what diags to run in lieu of the fact that my internet has suddenly dropped to a crawl?

It was fine for the first half of the week and then on Thursday/Friday and today speedtest.net is showing a top speed of 0.37MB when I usually get at least ten times that (Sky are pretty shit in this area though).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Network scan to see if somebody is stealing your bandwidth? Task manager to see if some program is using it? Factory reset on router?
  • Are you wired or wireless? Try the test wired if you aren't already.
  • Computer just started working again and I was able to turn it on.

FFS WHY DO YOU DO THIS COMPUTER!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Sounds a *bit* like a dodgy power supply.

Have you tried running it with the graphics card out?
  • No I haven't. If when it does it again I'll try that.

This is what I got when it came on 

xVbDr.jpg
  • Fucker is going off for the night.

Cross flippin everything that it comes back on in the morning.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Are you wired or wireless? Try the test wired if you aren't already.

I tried this and all of Kow's suggestions, the damn thing went down to a top speed of 300kbps earlier today. I spoke to Sky and they confirmed we were getting a really poor service on our line and they'd try and do something about it (what, I don't know) and that it'd take 2 hours. 6 hours later and stuff is exactly the same. Sped up the wifi by changing to channel 6, but that still puts the connection speed as slower than 87% of the UK according to speedtest.net.

It's fucking grating, I'm unable to do more than two things at once on the Internet now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I get occasional drops with Sky (down to about 200/300kbps from 2mb or whatever it is) but we're talking maybe once a week for about half an hour. Had no problems with them, so good luck Temps.
  • It's been like this for nearly four days now. I can't even stream a video on Netflix it's that bad.
  • Our internet and TV went down for 3 hours today. Toughest three hours of my life.

First world problems, eh?
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's been like this for nearly four days now. I can't even stream a video on Netflix it's that bad.

Quite possibly a snag with the Openreach side of the house rather than Sky?  Get them to dispatch an engineer.
  • Explain this to me, I don't understand Openreach. Would we have to pay for an engineer?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Fucker is going off for the night. Cross flippin everything that it comes back on in the morning.

Trying to think what might change/corrupt a BIOS. Have you got some kind of automatic acceleration/overclocking enabled in either the BIOS or in Windows?
  • Nope. It's all set to default.

• Mod74 wrote:
    You can temporarily disable it, see if that definitely is the cause. Untitled-47.jpg You can only turn the feature on or off using that dialogue. It doesn't uninstall it (you can't cleanly unsintall stuff listed there)

Right, laptop is no longer a piece of shite and works as it used to in the good old days before it connected to the 360. How do i go about getting Media Player back without everything grinding to a halt again?

Also, presumably as a result of ditching WMP, all of my MP3 files now have that WavePad icon next to then and can't be played by the laptop as my free trial expired. If I get WMP back will they all go back to being regular MP3 files?
  • I asked this in the digital download thread but I'll ask here as well.

I've a pretty good gaming PC - it works fine, running most games I play at full resolutions with high-ultra settings.

However, it's starting to chug on stuff like Arkham Asylum and The Witcher 2 (obviously) and with Black Friday deals starting, I was looking at picking up a new graphics card or something. But will I actually see any change?

Here's what I'm running
    i5 3500k processor
    8GB RAM
    GTX 560 ti
    128GB SSD 
    2TB 5400RPM HDD

'mod mentioned running another GFX card in SLI. I dont know what this will actually achieve? Is it worth doing that or upgrading any other components?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    You can temporarily disable it, see if that definitely is the cause. Untitled-47.jpg You can only turn the feature on or off using that dialogue. It doesn't uninstall it (you can't cleanly unsintall stuff listed there)
    Right, laptop is no longer a piece of shite and works as it used to in the good old days before it connected to the 360. How do i go about getting Media Player back without everything grinding to a halt again? Also, presumably as a result of ditching WMP, all of my MP3 files now have that WavePad icon next to then and can't be played by the laptop as my free trial expired. If I get WMP back will they all go back to being regular MP3 files?

First thing I'd suggest is turning WMP back on and seeing what happens.
  • Mod74 wrote:

It's a crazy plan but it might just work...

WMP back on, CPU usage OK so far.

Noticed something called javaw.exe seems to be using a huge amount of my memory though. A quick google suggested something Symantec based, can I destroy it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @Google From what I've read the gains from an SLI setup are not really worth the effort and expense and you would be better off just upgrading the graphics card really. Looks like your setup is pretty good anyway.
  • Kow wrote:
    @Google From what I've read the gains from an SLI setup are not really worth the effort and expense and you would be better off just upgrading the graphics card really. Looks like your setup is pretty good anyway.

Yeah, I may just wait a year. It seems that the minimum spend to get even a small performance boost would be around the $200 mark - which would buy me a PS3 which I dont own.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    adored wrote:
    It's a crazy plan but it might just work... WMP back on, CPU usage OK so far. Noticed something called javaw.exe seems to be using a huge amount of my memory though. A quick google suggested something Symantec based, can I destroy it?

Yeah, unless something specifically asks for it it's better to not install Java. Uninstall it as normal through control panel.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/204792250/IT_Threat_Evolution_Q3_2012

q3malware2012_pic07s.png
    Applications with vulnerabilities targeted by web exploits, Q3 2012

q3malware2012_pic13-1.png
    Vendors of products with the Top 10 vulnerabilities, Q3 2012

Java vulnerabilities were exploited in more than 50% of all attacks. According to Oracle, different versions of this virtual machine are installed on more than 1.1 billion computers. Importantly, updates for this software are installed on demand rather than automatically, increasing the lifetime of vulnerabilities. In addition, Java exploits are sufficiently easy to use under any Windows version and, with some additional work by cybercriminals, as in the case of Flashfake, cross-platform exploits can be created. This explains the special interest of cybercriminals in Java vulnerabilities. Naturally, most detections are triggered by various exploit packs.
  • I might upgrade my wife's computer from Vista to Windows 8.

Is that
    a) possible?
    b) sensible?

Bearing in mind it's ancient and not very powerful by modern standards (or even 2009's standards).
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It is possible and very sensible.

As for specs...most people said that Win7 ran better on the same kit than Vista did. Win8 supposedly runs slightly better than 7 did/does.

Bear in mind you will get the new Start screen which your missus may a) love, b) hate.
  • Why do you think I'm doing it on her machine not mine ;)
  • wmpntwk.exe seems to be on a mission to consume everything, looks like I need to get rid again.

Will remove WMP again and uninstall Java, see if that sorts everything out.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If you have a huge set of MP3s on your hard disc it will attempt (if you let it ) to add everything to the library when you first run it. That can take chuffing ages in my experience.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    Couple of questions:

Firstly, I was wondering if there is a decent alternative to Microsoft Office? The version I have on my PC is mega slow, giving me a "Not responding" error for 10 seconds every 30 seconds and then sorting itself out. I'd rather it didn't cost me anything but if anything I just want something that works.

The other thing is that I'm a little worried that my iPod is on its last legs. It's a 120gb classic and I don't want an iPod Touch, I will probably get a 160gb classic in the new year. My current one is getting a bit slow, at first use it takes about 10 seconds to start playing a song and it always takes a little while to get to a different menu/artist. I was wondering if there is a decent program to transfer my music from my iPod onto my PC? Again a free program would be ideal but in this case, keeping all of my music is my main priority. Some of it I don't have access to anymore and don't want to lose it so I don't mind paying something for a program that really works.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!