PEECEE HELP
  • I might try going for a clean install. Reinstalling programs isn't the end of the world - I like to try and keep things as trimmed down as possible and I've got a feeling my girlfriend has installed all kinds of junk on here. But if it's a hardware issue - whatever that might be - a clean install won't help, will it?

Blue screened again just now... *sob*
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    If 7 is blue screening and not auto-fixing itself, it usually is quite badly borked.
  • Well, that'll be a bitch.

However, I've been in the process of deleting stuff from my hard drive and Avast picked up a Trojan (that was seemingly missed in it's usual checks). It's locked it away in whatever magical box Avast puts such things and my computer is feeling a damn sight snappier at the moment. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but could this have been the problem?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Could have been for sure. Did you schedule an on boot scan from Avast? Takes a bloody long time.
  • I'm not sure. I can't remember which scan I did now - Possibly it was the quick one rather than the full system scan (though that does seem a touch unlikely). I'll do a full system scan again just to be sure.

Thanks for the help, Mod.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Boot scan

Untitled-41.png
  • Ah, cheers. Will fire that up.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You know in Firefox you can have Tab groups? Well I want to be able to fire up a set of bookmarks/tabs in one go. When I use the tab groups though they never save in between sessions.

Am I doing it wrong or is there some other way to do what I want. Extension or something? Seems like it should be functionality built in, but if it is I'm missing it.
  • Is there a Dropbox alternative that allows me to upload stuff and set it to private or password it?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I use my own server for that, but you could just put the file(s) in a password protected zip and send that using Dropsend or whatever.
  • Genius! Ta.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    SkyDrive lets you have public and/or private files. With passwords on the private ones. Think it does something clever with Microsoft (Live) IDs as well, not 100% on that bit.
  • I have two hard drives. Probably need a 3rd unless I want to go on a deleting spree. Do I need to be weary of power consumption or do HDs not really use much power?

edit: All internal, PC, Windows.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You should be fine fella. Less you've got a million things on USB that draw from the PSU. What wattage is it?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • 500w
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sounds weak! You could have a Google for psu pc calculator that let's you input everything that is plugged in to add to and it'll give you an optimal psu value to make sure. Seriously though wouldn't expect a problem but I've not had a machine with less than 800watts since the 90s...
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Really? 500w seemed to be the general view for my spec that was built a couple of years back for video editing/gaming.

Ill look up a calculator, ta.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah I'm just ott, fortunately the PSUs I buy are self-variable. Useful when I used to alter my hardware configuration a lot and powered my screens from the PC.

I think most of the desktops used in work have been 500ish and those are without any serious gfx or pharmcards so yeah, I on a gaming/video/audio pc it sounds weak to me. As said though I'm ott.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm going to make another PC I have decided but as I haven't made one for a few years I'm a bit out of the loop so I just wanted to know what the current recommended chipset is?

It's not going to be a monster gaming rig just a new media/internet system, once I know what processor everybody is using I'll sort the rest of the gubbins out, cheers in advance.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Mod made a thread perfect for this but I fear it was at the blurum?
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I'm going to make another PC I have decided but as I haven't made one for a few years I'm a bit out of the loop so I just wanted to know what the current recommended chipset is? It's not going to be a monster gaming rig just a new media/internet system, once I know what processor everybody is using I'll sort the rest of the gubbins out, cheers in advance.

You need this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

This website: http://pcpartpicker.com/

and this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en%20_US&hl=en_US&key=0AvaYhPmP5kwadHZsOW%209%20QVFRkZEpzcUplak5zZFUyYnc
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Mod made a thread perfect for this but I fear it was at the blurum?

it was here

http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/304/lets-make-a-gaming-pc
  • A bit of cross posting,  but I've upgraded to Win8 through Parallels Desktop on my Mac (a virtualisation thing).  Now I've decided I want to partition my drive and actually stick a proper Win8 install on it rather than running a VM.

However, Bootcamp wants an installer for Win8 before it'll do that.  I upgraded from a copy of XP, which Bootcamp won't let me install first, so I can't upgrade again.  Anyone know where I can legally download a Win8 iso or installer?
  • Argh, that doesn't appear to work for some reason.  This is going to be a pain.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Just grab a torrent of the ISO, unless they've been spectacularly fruity in somehow tying the ISO to the product key.
  • I posted in the Mac thread about that; Windows keys tend to be locked to the particular distribution they're intended for (branded OEM, retail, upgrade, etc.).
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You can grab the 7 and XP ISOs direct from digital river.

If this is playing silly buggers I could always use Elms product key to download an ISO using the installer program and re-up it somewhere. If he trusted me to do that.
  • Does it give you the option to get a clean install ISO with an upgrade purchase? That's surprisingly nice of them, I might grab a copy while it's cheap in that case.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You can grab the 7 and XP ISOs direct from digital river. If this is playing silly buggers I could always use Elms product key to download an ISO using the installer program and re-up it somewhere. If he trusted me to do that.

I certainly would.  I'm trying again; I wiped my XP virtual machine, and have asked Parallels to download Win8 from scratch.  That will hopefully give me a working build of 8 that I can use that download link for.

I'll have downloaded about 12Gb of Win8 today, which is a bit daft considering I'm barely going to use it.  If it doesn't work, I'll PM you my product key if you'd be happy to stick the ISO up somewhere?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!