Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Yeah sure.

I'll make a new Dropbox or something. Wouldn't want to risk putting it in my Skydrive.

My up speed is terribly slow so I probably couldn't get it down and up before bed tonight. Oooer.
  • No probs.  I'm just about to complete the install via Parallels, and I'll see if this works... otherwise, I'll let you know; if you PM me your email address, I'll just forward on the email with the product key and download link.
  • Elm, give me your windows key and I will use your windows.

Kthx
  • You have your own windows, which were cheaper than my windows as your loophole was plugged :)
  • This is irritating. 

Anyone want to buy an unused Win8 upgrade product key?  Yours for £15.
  • I didnt actually buy the windows. I was too late.

I'll take you up on the offer though.
  • google wrote:
    I didnt actually buy the windows. I was too late. I'll take you up on the offer though.

What's £15 right now?  $25?  Yours!  I paid $40 and I just can't be bothered with the hassle now, I'll stick with an XP VM for the occasional game of Hotline Miami.
  • Done.

I'll paypal it to you.
  • Right then boffins, ever since I did a spot of streaming from the laptop to the 360 the laptop has been running like a dog.

A quick look at Task Manager followed by google indicates it's all the fault of WMP. Task manager and Resource Monitor would indicate this is correct, seems to be eating everthing.

I've disabled some of the sharing options on WMP which has dropped CPU usage from 100% (Yes, one hundred fucking percent) to about 25%.

Memory usage is still alternating between 1.28 GB and 3.7 GB (I have 4GB RAM). Half an hour ago, was showing 8MB of memory free which can;t be good.

How do i fix this? internet suggests scrapping wmplayere.exe and removing WMP altogether, which seems rather drastic.

Is there a way I can neutralize pretty much vereythign WMP does other than play a file when I click on it?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You can temporarily disable it, see if that definitely is the cause.

Untitled-47.jpg

You can only turn the feature on or off using that dialogue. It doesn't uninstall it (you can't cleanly unsintall stuff listed there)
  • Have given that a go, seems ok at present, I'll give it a couple of days and see if it re-occurs.

Cheers Mod.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Not sure where to put this...

I have a wireless network at work (using an Edimax router) and every day I have to go into the settings and change the channel so that my iPhone and iPad will connect to the network? I have used pretty much every channel trying it but nowadays I just alternate between 6 and 11. I am at a complete loss as to why this happens? As soon as the channel is swapped my iThings immediately connect, I don't have this problem with any other wireless network that my iPhone is set up for?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've never heard of that before.

You could try reserving them an IP address. Or setting it so only MAC address you specify can connect. I suggest that...but I don't really see how it would help.

How old is the router, and is it on latest firmware? There was some stuff going round saying the reason iOS6 devices can't connect to WiFi is because of lack of IPv6 support in old routers. But again, I'm not even sure how that applies here.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It's been doing it for the last 18 months, I'm sort of used to it now so as soon as I sit at my PC I open the router management screen and change the channel. It's a bit of weird of one...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    A cafe I go to had this problem whenever a Mac or iDevice connected to the wifi network for some reason it stopped assigning IPs to any other wifi devices regardless of their OS. Devices that had joined the network and disconnected couldn't rejoin. We never found out why. They just used to turn their router on an off which I guess you can't do as you've wired devices in work? 

They just bought a new router and never had the problem again.

Shiznit.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Anyone got any experience of building a media pc to sit in the living room?

Thinking about doing this as the xbox's lack of certain file types and general shitness is annoying me.
  • You could get a Raspberry Pi for that.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I have one.

I don't like Linux it turns out.
  • I read this thread, on occasion, and then jump on to Alienware and customise one of their PCs using the maximum spec for everything. I proceed to hover over the checkout button but then change my mind.

Unjustifiable.
  • Frosty wrote:
    I have one. I don't like Linux it turns out.

Can you not put a different OS on it? Like Windows if that's what you fancy? It runs on netbooks, so should run on the Pi?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • No idea but you are right I should probably be trying to get that working first rather than spunking money away on a new pc.

It's been months since I got it so there should be much better support to get it working. Last time I looked the instructions were pretty much incomprehensible.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Linux isn't much good is you want to use Netflix as there's no Linux version of Silverlight.
  • It's more for streaming files that are stored on my pc really. If I want to use netflix I'd probably just use the xbox.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Frosty you could install android eventually on it or what's wrong with xmbc? 

http://www.raspbmc.com
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Frosty, I dont know what you're budget is but I was reading some good articles around the building of a shuttle based PC that could play modern games with nothing but the onboard graphics card.

Would you like me to hunt down the info? I think a fully built machine (able to play CODBLOPS at 40FPS) was around the $500 mark including Windows 7.
  • I just built a gaming PC in July so would only really be looking to build something to stream media from my/flatmates PCs as well as standard online streaming services. I'd been looking at a maximum budget of 200 quid but I'll see how I get on with the pi first.

New question, said gaming PC is being weird and won't turn on. It currently powers on the case lights and fans(including GPU fan) but isn't outputting anything to my monitor via any of the outputs. It doesn't even reach the motherboard start up screen and instantly powers off when the power button is pressed again.

I've tried remounting the GPU, RAM, mobo power cables and I've tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery and neither of these has fixed it.

Think this is the third time it's happened and the previous times it's done this it's just started to work again after leaving it completely powered down for a period of time. Had it unplugged since last night and still nothing.

When it started to work again before it came up saying my BIOS were corrupted and then reinstalled them and started working normally again.

Any ideas?
  • Frosty wrote:
    Anyone got any experience of building a media pc to sit in the living room? Thinking about doing this as the xbox's lack of certain file types and general shitness is annoying me.

Get a cheap Android player.

http://www.sum-vision.co.uk/productinfo/nano/nano.asp
  • Get a converter like Handbrake and your Xbox'll play anything.
  • I pretty much hate using the xbox for stuff now. It's a horrible, slow, clunky interface that needs replacing and using it irritates the hell out of me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!