PEECEE HELP
  • They do look alright and therefore fit for purpose. Cheers Mod.
  • Anyone here use Radio Downloader?  It's suddenly stopped working for me both at home and at work.  Perhaps the BBC have blocked it finally?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    My PC has 2x 128GB SSDs RAID0 and was running fine.

Last weekend I put an old 250GB HDD into my system as some slower additional storage. Everything seemed fine.

Sometime around mid week it didn't shut down properly. So I hard powered off and when I turned on the RAID controller didn't load. Rebooted couple times and then it did load but said the two SSDs failed. Couple of reboots and it springs back to life.

OK for a couple days and then did it again yesterday. So I update the RAID drivers and the BIOS. And now it doesn't recognise the third HDD at all.

Long shot, but any suggestions?
  • I've never used RAID, i'm assuming you were using one of the SSDs as a backup and that you've tried booting with only one?

edit: actually booting doesn't seem to be your problem now...

Did you try moving which sata cable connection you're using for the hdd to another or changing the hdd boot order in the bios?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The SSD's are RAID0 which means they function as one drive splitting the data over both to read faster.

The problem with that is if the RAID controller doesn't load/work, nothing boots.

EDIT: the secondary HDD isn't part of the RAID array.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not really a solution but I've taken the old HDD out and the PC doesn't appear to be trying to kill itself any more.

Who'd have thought a 6 year old laptop drive I don't think I really properly removed the drive encryption from would cause problems.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've managed to ponce a socket 775 motherboard from work... I want to build a cheap, but reasonably decent PC for my sister and her kids out of it, but don't want to run out and buy components until I can be sure it works...

Any advice?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    That AMD A8 sounds interesting!  I'd like something to play minecraft and steam games on my tv.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • A wee networking question. Trying to do away with a shitey wireless in my office by using these homeplug powerline doohickeys. Anybody used them?

Our wireless router is badly placed it has to be next to the only phone socket in the building and this makes the wireless connection a bit iffy. The office has two computers we wanted to hard wire for a more reliable service. 

- Would I need three plugs or could I split the signal from the wallplug we place in the office?
    - Any brands I should look for or avoid.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've been using the tplink 200mbs models from Amazon and they've been rock rock solid. I think they do 500mbs versions now for the same as I paid for mine originally.

I did have an issue with one not immediately joining the network, but a few extra sync button presses later and it hooked on fine, and has been fine ever since.

You need one to sit next to the router. Then you need one for each thing you want to attach....except...if you have two or more computers at the same or very close location you can connect the plug to a spare router (if you have one) turn DHCP off on it and then plug both (or more) machines into the router.

They recommend that you don't put them on the end of trailing leads, but when I have had to they've still worked. There's still some FUD going round about the plugs all being on the same ring, but in this house I've never had a problem despite it having electrics like spaghetti.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Aye essentially, if you set yours up properly, the sync'ing and such you shouldn't get any bleed.

Most likely problem.
    I went my bro's before xmas, when connected to his TPLink ethernet o/mains his connection kept jumping from virginmedia to a bt. (Discovered by typing nslookup into a command prompt)

To solve it we just put all the plugs on the same 4way and sync'd them there, made sure the connection to the router admin page didn't redirect to the BT one in another house and kept checking the return value of 'nslookup', just making sure the problem wasn't reproducing itself. Then when we plugged them into the rooms they were supposed to be in and they retained the sync settings and didn't try connecting to the neighbour again.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Forgot this thread. Makes more sense to ask questions about laptop buying than the general tech one.

Right now, I'm after some kind of quick and easy way to identify which Intel Core processors are better than others. They've all got these four or five did get numbers to identify them and it,s confusing the hell out of me. Wikilol had loads of info but didn't really help, I might have even got more confused by it.

So, anyone know an easily understandable quick reference table or something?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    Forgot this thread. Makes more sense to ask questions about laptop buying than the general tech one. Right now, I'm after some kind of quick and easy way to identify which Intel Core processors are better than others. They've all got these four or five did get numbers to identify them and it,s confusing the hell out of me. Wikilol had loads of info but didn't really help, I might have even got more confused by it. So, anyone know an easily understandable quick reference table or something?

Go to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/. They'll put your processor on a graph and then really it's a case of CTRL+F on the other processors you're looking at and seeing if it's higher or lower.

You can work out what should be faster on paper by looking at the model number, but it's probably easier to do it the first way.

The only problem with that site is they include every CPU, including things like Xeon chips, so your chip will *look* like it's way way down the list when really it might be pretty decent.

Rule of thumb, which you already know, dual core OK, quad core better. (which applies across the range whether it's Pentium or Core or whatever). Personally I'll never have an AMD chip but they are more bang per buck.
  • Probably everything is going to be faster than the POS I'm trying to use at the moment, but that's just the kind of thing I'm looking for, many thanks. Everything I've seen so far is either a Celeron or Core i3, that Lenovo you pointed out the other day is still among the best looking options (along with a Dell, which surprised me slightly), so kudos for that.

Since I've decided the utility of a laptop beats the better power of a desktop for me right now, I'll be going that way. As of yet, I've not come across a single budget one with an AMD.
  • Thanks, will do when I'm home. Am off swapping the shitty PC my dad lent me for a shitty Mac. Expecting it to run slower, and the battery lasts about two minutes, but at least it's not going to overheat and die when I'm in the middle of browsing.
  • Hello you guise, how would I go about blocking a device from my network, say a second Xbox, or a Laptop or whatever?
  • Oh, yea, sorry to distract from Tempy's as yet unanswered question, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to password protect folders on a computer or memory stick? Is it possible to do this for free?
  • I've figured out my own question. Find MAC address, block it like it's hot.

As for yours, first google result suggests this free download?
  • Oh, yea, sorry to distract from Tempy's as yet unanswered question, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to password protect folders on a computer or memory stick? Is it possible to do this for free?
    Lazy way is to use winzip. Depends how secure you need it to be.
  • Tis just pictures of ex-girlfriends. People left alone at my computer when i have friends around have a habit of being nosy and rummaging around (why do people do this? i never do it), and i wouldn't want them to be able to view anything that wasn't meant for their eyes. Equally, if i ever need to take my comp to be repaired, i don't want the repairers to be able to find them either
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Easiest way is probably to just drop them into a password protected zip file.
  • I didn't even know you could do that. All the zip programmes have this function? Can't even remember which one i have. No need to answer that if it's all incredibly simple and i'll figure it out
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I've figured out my own question. Find MAC address, block it like it's hot.

Is it wireless or wired?

It depends on the router whether you can do per device MAC address blocking. Depending on the router you might have to do it the other way round, block all wireless access then add in the devices you want to allow.
  • I am able to associate the MAC address with a static IP and then block or allow that in schedule settings. I've done it on my XBox to test and it seems to still connect but some functions of live are kaputt. It's odd.
  • I think most (all?) routers allow you to block MAC addresses.

Mine runs a white-list apart from the guest network.

Who are you trying to block?
  • Firewall services on this only blocks MAC's that are associated with an IP in some form. I'm trying to run a schedule block of my brother's Xbox and laptop at my parent's request.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    I think most (all?) routers allow you to block MAC addresses. Mine runs a white-list apart from the guest network.

This Sky/Sagem only has a white list. No black list. Some have both.
  • I'm surprised Sky don't make "parental controls" easier.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!