#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Tiger, as I've said before, first draft is handwritten.  I know that's a little old fashioned, but it allows me to whip out my book in brief moments during my physical job and get down a few paragraphs.

My cousin, who has an eight year old daughter, recommended a book by Mackenzie Crook (Gareth from The Office dontcha know), which she is reading with her classmates.  This books word per page count is roughly the same as mine.

I'm at 181 pages.  It would be fair to say this fucker has gotten away from me.  The Good Knight will take at least another 120 pages.  At least.  It's a 300 pager!

Once I'm close to completion I'm going to treat myself to a MacBook Pro.  Once there's a second draft you can have your word count.
    Get schwifty.
  • I started writing something recently, just for fun. First time in many years.

It seems to be the start of some kind of epic adventure, but I doubt I'll get beyond the first chapter. Still, I'll share once that's done.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    JB, when I first wrote the first few pages of Flight of Fancy they were just a folly.  I honestly cannot believe where I am just a few months later.  So you never know.  Good luck!
    Get schwifty.
  • It certainly won't be a few months even if I keep going. Few years perhaps.

Also, I don't really know what's going to happen after chapter 1.
  • Chapter 2 is a popular choice.
  • I don't want it to be too predictable.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    JonB wrote:

In my opinion this is the worst possible way to get something you are genuinely interested in writing done.  I spent two years working over what I had in my head before I finally decided to do something about it.  Half the battle is grabbing hold of an idea you genuinely believe in.  Wish you luck, though.

Really wish I had something to share, but I'm very nervous about what I have.  In the back of my mind I think The Land of Nod might be up scrutiny, but then I remember how much of a total coward I am about my writing at the moment.
    Get schwifty.
  • Next week I'm off to a writer's retreat in Ireland for 5 days (part of my prize from the kids story), so hopefully I'll manage to get something written.  It will be a bit of a relief if I'm honest as I have a stupid number of stories buzzing around in my head, and I've barely had time to read anything, let alone write something myself.  (Sorry Tiger, I never did get round to reading your latest...)

At the same time though, I'm dreading it.  I've built it up in my head as THE opportunity to get stuff done, whereas in reality I suspect I'll spend most of the time staring at the walls, racked with indecision as to precisely which of my precious ideas to actually put to paper.

If nothing else I should get a nice trip to Cavan out of it...
  • Raiziel wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    In my opinion this is the worst possible way to get something you are genuinely interested in writing done.  I spent two years working over what I had in my head before I finally decided to do something about it.  Half the battle is grabbing hold of an idea you genuinely believe in.  Wish you luck, though.
    This is certainly true, but I'm not really planning anything big. Just felt like writing some stuff down.
  • Sounds brilliant, Tin. Hope you get a lot out of it! Don't worry about reading my latest - It's lacking at the moment anyway.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well it's done. It took a while as thefinale turned out to be a lot bigger than I expected. And that's a feature of the whole project.

It's almost certainly down to my own inexperience but I'm constantly misjudging the scale of the narrative. The Scarlet Maiden is over twice the size of The Desert Rose, but when I look back at both I don't see the second part as too flabby, I see the first part as being somewhat emaciated.

So I've decided to turn the parts into books in their own right. That gives me the breathing room to expand The Desert Rose during the second draft to resemble the proper Arabian adventure I originally envisioned.

A couple of days break now and then onto The Good Knight. Even popped into the Apple Store at the weekend to look at the MacBook Pros!
    Get schwifty.
  • So as I mentioned months ago, I've been doing a bit of fiction writing. Mostly just half an hour here and there - nothing solid. But I've 'finished' a first chapter of 5000 words and thought it might be worth sharing it to get some feedback. You can (hopefully) see it here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UtF5Cmk3unvJXzvUfyBo5_W36yevXc0UfVKgTs6ZvJ4/edit

Worth noting, I've never written (or even read) fantasy stuff before, so this may be completely off the mark for the genre. Also, silly made up names - I'm sure I'll put more effort into those if I go any further with this. Anyway, have a look if you get the chance.
  • You need to share it with read permission Jon. Won't let me see it when I click.
  • It works, yup!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Will have a read when I get some time this week, Jon.
    Get schwifty.
  • Reading now.

I often think i would be best to write fantasy if you've read very little of it. Something to be said of dodging influences.

I need to do some writing/submitting again. Fallen into yet another rut of self loathing.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm still trucking along.  Just passed three hundred pages and I can just about glimpse the end.
    Get schwifty.
  • JonB wrote:

I had a read whilst sat on the beach as I felt guilty for forgetting to send you that headset! Back this week so will send you then then.

I wouldn't say fantasy is my cup of tea ordinarily, more into sci-fi, although there's some fairly obvious crossover between the two. Tiger might be your best bet for a fantasy critique.

Personally thought there was too much explanation in there, everything is laid on the plate for readers. My meagre appreciation of fantasy is that it's not spelt out that simply, you often have to pick at the detail to gain an understanding. Not saying that's right, but that seems to be the trend. Reads more like a teenlit approach than adult fantasy. On occasion it seemed like the tense was slightly out of kilter. Although I felt it meandered a bit, I thought it also told too much, too soon.

As a first effort though in a particularly unknown genre it's a pretty impressive effort although it didn't really click with me. I procrastinate too much about getting on with my own writing but I will give you an opportunity to critique mine soon.

• Stopharage wrote:
    Personally thought there was too much explanation in there, everything is laid on the plate for readers. My meagre appreciation of fantasy is that it's not spelt out that simply, you often have to pick at the detail to gain an understanding. Not saying that's right, but that seems to be the trend. Reads more like a teenlit approach than adult fantasy. On occasion it seemed like the tense was slightly out of kilter. Although I felt it meandered a bit, I thought it also told too much, too soon.
    Fair enough. I had wondered whether the chunks of exposition were a good idea, and perhaps I would spread it out more if I actually turned it into something longer. But it's also tied up with establishing the character of the narrator as someone who's not necessarily the best story teller - he has a tendency to meander and start lecturing about broader aspects of history and culture. And he's kind of aware of that but also kind of not. I suppose I imagined he'd get better and more focused at it as it went along. Although it may be me being a bad writer trying to hide behind a bad narrator. I dunno, maybe I should drop the whole meta element and tell a straight story.
  • I dunno, I quite liked the narrator. Was nice to read something where the narrator had depth of personality and did come across as very natural. Not sure I worded my feedback as positively as I should have; my only real issue with it was where you would introduce a character, people etc and then explain them immediately. Empathy with characters often comes from slowly understanding and appreciating their concerns, beliefs, idiosyncrasies etc.

It was an enjoyable read and didn't fall into the trap of being the dreary lorefest that a lot of fantasy tends to be.
  • JonB wrote:

I've only had a quick read, so these are some very early cursory thoughts...  (Oh, and a disclaimer.  I seem to be incapable of writing these sorts of things without sounding like I'm being really damning.  I'm not.  I liked it a lot.  Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered at all.)

I agree with Stoph that there's a bit too much in the way of exposition.  I think the problem is that you've set yourself a really difficult task - in that you're trying to tell a story using the voice of someone who isn't necessarily a born story teller.  In many ways I really liked that about it, but it also makes it a harder sell (literally and figuratively) because he's somewhat academic in approach, which has the effect of making the action seem distant and cold - if that makes sense?  It's a problem compounded by already knowing that he's dead, and that he's reviewing the story from a position of detachment.  

That said, the fact that he's already dead was, for me, one of the big hooks. It adds a level of mystery (how did he die?  How is he sending this message, and why doesn't he know who's receiving it? etc).  In fact I'd suggest it might be helpful to make that an opening gambit, along with the latter revelation that it allows him perfect recollection - he sounds like the sort of man who would open by reflecting on the peculiar benefits of being dead.

So, yes, mystery is good.  Which brings me back to the subject of exposition.  It's OK - in fact it's often actively beneficial - to not inform the reader of everything straight away (if at all).  On the other hand, there are some things I probably do need to know - in this case, I guess the one question that I felt really needed answering is - what is the story this scholar is telling me, and more importantly, why?  I felt like I knew an awful lot about the world, but I still wasn't clear on why he felt I should care, other than his assurance that it would ultimately be worth it.

However...  I enjoyed it, and despite me spending the last 3 paragraphs moaning about what is essentially the same point, I thought there was a lot to admire.  You have, unlike a depressingly large number of fantasy writers, clearly actually thought about the world and how it works.  (Terry Pratchett apparently once said it was fine to write about a world with flying pigs, so long as you remember that everyone will need weapons grade umbrellas.  You've clearly thought about the umbrellas.)

Equally, your narrator's got a really clear voice (that isn't simply yours).  I know I've said that his particular personality makes it harder (and it does) but it potentially also makes it a lot more interesting.  I guess the trick is going to be figuring out how to exploit his eccentricities to help you tell your tale.  (Focused enough to push the story forwards, vague enough to keep us wanting to know more.)

So, in short, it's good, but maybe needs a more obvious lure to pull lazy bastards like me into the story.
  • These are all good points and quite encouraging really.

There's almost certainly some hangover from the fact I didn't plan the whole thing in advance and only set out to write this chapter, so therefore tried to shove everything into it. I have since thought about where it could all go, and probably added most of the interesting detail about the world after that.

The overall tone is probably not really 'adult' enough as well, and maybe again that's because of the narrator's voice. Perhaps he should be a bit more serious or something. I'm not sure I've really considered how dark it's likely to get. There's also the possibility of changes in tone depending on what happens to the narrator as he's telling the story. Maybe he's not as stable as he first seems (making it up as I go along).

Totally agree that some reason why the story is important needs to be hinted at early on too. I hadn't thought of it like that, but I guess 'this is an interesting story, honest' isn't enough of a hook (although I liked it as a cheeky opening).

I honestly don't know whether I'm going to carry on with it, even though I've got some ideas that I quite like. I just wanted to do a bit of writing when I started.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It's useful.
  • I haven't read it yet due to work, but I remember you once gave me similar advice about exposition that people are now giving you, and the reasons why my piece needed that advice are the same reasons that you've given there, ha.

(i am gud writr)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just finished it. I have to agree with Stoph and Tin. 'Show, don't tell' is such a fundamental part of good storytelling, and this first chapter seems to wilfully ignore it.

By the time I was being told about Juristina I was already switching off. I need to get to know Estra first before I really care why she's proficient in combat.

Everything just seems so remote. A more detailed account of the journey to the Great City where we get to know both characters would have worked better in my opinion. Let's have some dialogue between the two, find out how they get along and what their personalities are like. Perhaps after the wolf attack we can then find out about Juristina.

But instead we're just told everything instead of feeling like we're along for the ride.

It's nicely written, Jon, and the world looks like it might be interesting. But at the moment I feel like I'm viewing it from a great distance. I hope you actually continue to work at it, because I think you've got the skill to make it work.
    Get schwifty.
  • OK, thanks for reading. There's clearly a fine line I have to walk here between having a narrator that likes tends to waffle and actually maintaining the reader's interest. I still kind of want to disrupt the regular flow of a story by doing a few things 'wrong', so wouldn't want to lose the chunks of explanation completely, but I will have to integrate them better. Getting to the dialogue quicker is probably important.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    On the last point absolutely. And I think it's fine if you want to meander off to talk about the lore or whatever, but you've got to get the reader invested in your world and characters first and foremost. I can't imagine anyone but you is interested in the lore of your world during the first chapter. But once the reader cares and feels invested, I'm sure the lore will make for much more interesting reading.
    Get schwifty.
  • I wrote thing, 'lil novella. Been a hectic year. Please feel free to critique.
    https://www.inkitt.com/JamesBoylan
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!