Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers for the advice, Nick's already replied because he's a don so will see how it goes. Its just the basics really, how to layer samples into a song, some technical terms etc. Won't be mentioning software names and that as its a minefield.

Would be interested in reading it tiger, I had a similar stab at something akin to it a while back (mine was based around giants) but it came out a mess so I abandoned it.
  • DandB Sound Studio eh
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Sadly can't do DnB as it'd need to be a popular track :(
  • Here's a weird one I am going to indulge myself on. I reviewed Alien: Covenant for the Uni mag. The initial review was around 500-ish words long. The editor liked it and wanted it in the magazine itself, saying the full review could go online. This was after I had also expanded my initial review to about 900 words for my own entertainment. So now I have 3 reviews of Alien: Covenant, that are all different lengths, and that exercised different skills. There are spoilers obviously so I'll understand if people don't fancy reading them right away, but if you're interested in entertaining me which do you think is best, and why? The opinion of "they're all shite mate" is valid too.

Original Mid-length review:

Spoiler:

Indulgent, Tempy length review.

The short, torture and heavily edited review:

Spoiler:
  • I'd probably put less work into this shit if I got paid, ha. If you could also HIT THAT DAMN LIKE BUTTON on the medium post, that would be rad.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I would if it didn't link to here.
  • FUCK

Edit: should be fixed, the WYSIWYG editor is being a real cunt
  • Will read when I'm home (from the zoo yay). Should also have a finished short to share with any luck.
  • The First Train from Dorasan.
    Kinda weird-fiction. Please tell me what doesn't work. It's quite indulgent I've been doing this enough to take it if you hate it. It's based off of something else I wrote and shared but I've gutted it, changed the context, added and tweaked and honed and possibly ruined, and then doubled in length.

Enjoy! Or don't!
  • Really enjoyed your review, Tempy. I really liked Prometheus so will definitely want to see Covenant at some point. I'm quite easily pleased with films to be honest.

I don't read any film crit but you're stuff always feels very good. Insightful, well written, and informative. I like it a lot and wouldn't raise my eyebrows if it was in a professional publication. I've only read the edited version thus far but I'm generally quite down with a bit more ramble/discussion as long as it is engaging so I'll let you know.
  • There be spoilers though! This was really just a big bit of self-imposed homework given to me by myself after the uni said it had to be shorter. Thanks, hopefully one day i'll get there. Last exam is Wednesday, if I can get the cooking and revision done in a timely fashion, I'll treat myself to some tiger time.
  • x0x0

I don't worry too much about spoilers with films like Alienz. I probably will have forgotten by the time I get to see it.
  • @Tiger

I'm reading through it now, making some comments and correcting a few minor grammar issues.
  • I've got halfway and ran out of time, but I'll finish it tomorrow.

I'm picking on every little thing I see, and not all the suggestions may be valid. Overall it's very well written.
  • Thanks. Please do pick on things. I need that.

The second half hasn't been revised to the same degree so I imagine you'll find a lot more issues.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Will definitely find time to read that some time this week, Tiger.
    Get schwifty.
  • Cheers. Had plenty of feedback on things that need fixing. Some silly errors, other things just to mull over.

Will try and kill some passive voice & grammar bits tonight if I get time.
  • Thanks for your thoughts.

Here's a breakdown of changes so far. I've responded to certain things in the document too. Some pondering, some discussing.

- Some minor language tweaks.

- Some continuity tweaks.

- A few instances of tense changed (originally the story was in present tense and I've missed some parts in translation).

- Loads of wonderful grammar tweaks from Nora and me ol' mucker Jon.

- The removal of some passivity.

- A million other bits.

Amazing stuff. Thanks for taking the time to read and help me to tweak some bits. Some thoughts on the story as a whole and changes that might make a difference.
    Spoiler:
    Again, thanks. Thanks.

And thanks.
  • I've gone through the second half now too, with more comments.
  • Brilliant stuff. Thank you so much.

Loads of useful feedback from elsewhere too. 

From someone from a writing place...
    Spoiler:
  • Jon - Did you find the effects of the Torque unclear? As in, not explicit early enough?
  • I sort of got it and just assumed it was meant to be vague. As far as I could tell, some weird supernatural event had happened, causing all sorts of anomalies sending the whole country into chaos. And then it turned out it was dreams being manifested and they learned to control what was created.

You certainly could make it more explicit earlier, if you want it to be clearer what was going on, but I didn't mind not fully understanding it until later on. It depends what you're going for.

In fact, I'd rather there was more clarity about the invasion from the North and what the main characters were doing as their slaves. That could certainly be introduced earlier and in more detail.
  • Ok, thanks. I like to leave things vague but it was feedback I had and I'm loathe to change it on one person's opinion. I think short fiction is fine with leaving blanks in it. It's over quick enough that it's not like you're leaving things unexplained for 439 pages.

The slave thing I had considered...
    Spoiler:
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I did read your story the other week, tiger. Personally it wasn't for me, I'm afraid. I think it's already been touched on that world building was given a light touch. For me that means the character or characters have to shine, and I didn't feel there was enough depth there.
    Get schwifty.
  • Thanks for reading all the same, chum.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Hey no problem. For what it's worth I thought the setting showed great promise. I also appreciate there's only so much you can do in a short story.
    Get schwifty.
  • This sums it up, really. 

Clarkesworld rejections/acceptances that people have logged on the submission grinder since the beginning of the Month.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm about to get into the action-packed grand finale of The Scarlet Maiden.  After veering wildly from the intended middle part of the tale into unknown and unexpected territory, I'm back on my intended path.  I've been really looking forward to writing this part, not least because it means I almost feel like I'm on the home stretch, but now I'm here I feel more than a little intimidated by the scale of the thing.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!