#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Throw in some hot gypsies and it's bound to be a huge hit.
    Get schwifty.
  • Was out running in the pitch black forest this evening. A few owls, occasional rustling in the bushes from rats and the eyeshine of what was most probably a fox staring at me. Reasonable amount of temperature variation going on also along with hanging mist. Thing is, all that is fine, but when the Nike app from the phone in my pocket said "YOU'RE FOR IT" I must admit it did put the shits up me.

There's a story in there somewhere. I will only take a minor writers credit.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Sounds like a Black Mirror episode in the making.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have just completed The Desert Rose, which is part one of my children's story!  At 67 pages long (handwritten in an A5 book, mind) any idea that this can be read as a bedtime story is well and truly out the window.  I would also imagine the age range has jumped from five to eight to eight to ten and maybe beyond.  But what I've got so far I'm really rather pleased with.  After having this story dominating my thoughts for so long it feels somewhat surreal that the first part is now down on paper.

It'll need plenty of work as my ideas have always exceeded my talent to express them, but it's not a bad start.  On to The Sundered Diamond then!  After a bit of a break.
    Get schwifty.
  • Trade it for a Poor Gold Chocobo
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Writing a story that's come to you unbidden is, in my very humble opinion, always the best way if possible.  

I may have shared this before, but I recently sent it to Leah, so here is some advice from my Grandad on writing:

InDEp0g.png
  • I can't believe you're writing by hand. Madness! We need word counts, dammit!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I always write my first drafts by hand.  But just for you I counted up the words on a typical page and multiplied it by the page count then rounded it down.

Why the fascination with word counts?
    Get schwifty.
  • Because page numbers don't really mean anything, whereas word counts do. People can gauge how long your story is by word count, but not by page numbers, basically.

That story would be 50 minutes to read orally & with expression, I reckon. Ish. Bit over, maybe? Have you tried it?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have and that's a very accurate time estimate.  There are two more parts, so it's much longer than I hoped, but I've made my peace with the fact.
    Get schwifty.
  • First few chapters of The Book. It's an elaboration on a short story I wrote. The first chapter is pretty much verbatim, but the rest is new. It's going to stretch out the short into the first 1/3-ish of the book, I reckon, and then move on from that point.

Link.

Any thoughts would be tremendously useful. Good and bad.
  • In the bath, jet lagged to fuckery.

Going in now, Tigro.
  • "Nightfall"

Is this Destiny fanfic?
  • That's all I write, Dante.

It's about a space wizard called Lootking.
  • Just to you know, that moth is fucking terrifying, so if you were going for that, mission accomplished.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The moment I get some downtime I'll have a read, Tiger.
    Get schwifty.
  • First chapter has created intrigue, well done.
  • Just to you know, that moth is fucking terrifying, so if you were going for that, mission accomplished.
    Good!
    Raiziel wrote:
    The moment I get some downtime I'll have a read, Tiger.
    Thanks!
    First chapter has created intrigue, well done.
    Lovely to hear! The first chapter will be the most polished as it's almost a direct lift from the short story (which went through proper editing). Still might need substantial changes to make it work for The Novel though.
  • Had an enjoyable read Tigro. First chapter terrific. Intriguing and reads beautifully. Minor quibble - 'teeth chattering'. This is always used in cold scenes but I've never seen it happen in real life.
    Second chapter - again beautifully written but the final line seems lifted from elsewhere. Only reason I mention that, is because your writing has a real individual style to it and that line just seems at odds. 3rd chapter - "A man is only as good as his actions. But those actions come from the voices inside him." - really liked. Chapter 4 - didn't go in the direction I thought. I presumed Elsa would be stopped by the villagers as she entered the area - they would think she was returning for revenge, imprison her and allow the monsters to enter the world.

I thought it read like a published fantasy author. Some conventional genre devices aside, it was terrific. Jealous. (Sorry, rambling, tired and jet lagged!)
  • My teeth have chattered before, for real.
  • Too kind, Stoph. You must be jet lagged!

Final line of chapter 2 may be subconsciously from something else. It wouldn't surprise me, though I can't place it. I like your thought process as to chapter 4 though, that would be an interesting way to take things. In fact, it would perhaps work well if she ran to village and was seen, waving a gun around. Even if she runs off and continues as she does in the story so far, the fall out from that would be interesting..

Only another 50,000 words to write now... don't be too jealous.

I've had my teeth chatter before. It's only if I relax my jaw when I'm bitterly cold - which takes a bit of effort as I usually tense up - but my teeth definitely rattle together!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finally found the time to have a read, Tiger. Disclaimer: I'm personally not a fan of the first person approach in books. In spite of that I think what you have so far is very good indeed, and if chapters two to four are actually first draft material then bravo.

I'm getting a young adult targeted His Dark Materials vibe from it.

As far as feedback goes there's one particular thing that struck me. I would have liked to have been wowed by the first appearance of the witikas, but they were just introduced way too soon. Perhaps a chapter or two beforehand introducing the characters and some of the more mundane aspects of the world would give the first chapter more punch.

It's a great start though. Well done! :)
    Get schwifty.
  • Thanks for reading, Raz. :)

Yeah, first chapter may need to change in the end. As a short it had to be straight to the point - and I do still like it that way for now - but a novel has more time for build up and it might be worth the pay off.

Definitely not first draft, per se. I edit a lot as I write.
  • Wasn't a forumite supposed to have a sitcom made? I was looking FWD to watching. What happened?
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Wasn't a forumite supposed to have a sitcom made? I was looking FWD to watching. What happened?

Scout, I think, and it was shown afaik.
  • i watched the pilot. can't recall what it was called but it was funny
  • Yeah, I can't remember the name. Took me 10 minutes to get into it but I was really enjoying it by the end. Would watch more if they were made but it was in a series of pilots so I don't know if it got picked up or not.

Might be links earlier in the thread?
  • Djornson wrote:
    i watched the pilot. can't recall what it was called but it was funny
    Pumped, I think.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Wasn't a forumite supposed to have a sitcom made? I was looking FWD to watching. What happened?

Yeah that was me. We didn't get a series sadly but I've had another project commissioned off the back of it so onwards and upwards. Here it is if you still fancy a gander.
  • Scout, in as cursory way as possible would you be able to explain how you got to this point?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!