#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Somehow this thread has evaded me for like forever.  So howdy fellow writers.  For years I have been actively not writing anything, and it's been somewhat exhausting.  Getting my arse into gear and actually doing something serious is really a new thing for me.

I look forward to participating!
    Get schwifty.
  • I intend to get back into writing over the next 12 months too.  I had a couple of bits picked up by McSweenys a few years back and very solid interest from 2 agents who liked my 3 chapter proposals.  Problem here was that I wrote these without then thinking I'd really have to follow them up with an actual fucking book.  That fizzled out through my business suddenly growing too rapidly and simple laziness.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I should finally write Insect this year, three years late.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Has anyone here had a go at writing a children's story?
    Get schwifty.
  • Depends what you mean by children's, really, as the term encompasses a pretty wide range. From your posts in the creative thread I assume you're talking pretty young?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well...it's intended to be targeted at a youngish age bracket, but as I write I can't help but think that I'm nudging up that bracket.  With the type of story I have I want to target maybe five to eight, but the way the story is unfolding it's going to be over one hundred pages, which feels too long for that age group.
    Get schwifty.
  • How many words do you think you'll hit?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    To be honest with you I have no idea.  It's been ten years since I put pen to paper and back then it was film screenplays.  Right now it's pen and paper, second draft will be typed.  Length is a real concern, though.  I mean it's taken ten pages for the actual adventure to kick off.
    Get schwifty.
  • I've written one. As with everything i write, i've never shown a soul.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Has anyone here had a go at writing a children's story?

Yep (see page 7) though only short form and given that was my first "official" attempt I obviously don't really know any more than you.

Still, here's some observations based on watching my kids as they grew up.

The one thing I'd say about writing for children is to avoid the trap of writing for children.  Whilst you obviously have to take some things into account for your audience (no sex or swearing unless you're going for the teen market, no 600 page epics for pre-schoolers etc), writing something you think "a child would like" is likely to go horribly wrong.  If only because children like to think they're reading something an adult would read - and because they're damn good at spotting bullshit and patronisation (their alarms would probably be going off right now - sorry).

(There's also the point that most stories for children, if they are to succeed, need to make it past the parents too.)

The other observation I'd make about kids stories is that they, more than any other, have to work when read out loud.  I'd say it's a good test for any writing, but doubly so with children's books where, particularly with the age range you're talking about, someone is very likely to be reading it out loud.

As for length.  Well, yeah, you can get away with a long story if it's sufficiently episodic.  But I'd argue that every chapter needs to be pretty much a self contained story in its own right at that age.  (Look at Paddington, Winnie-the-Pooh, Pippi Longstocking etc etc.  All books in their own right, but you can also pick a random chapter as a bed time story.)  Older children can obviously manage longer stories, but at age 5-8 episodic is the way to go I'd say.  (Yours might be a perfectly good tale for older kids too though.)

Finally, as well as getting some adults to read it for you, test it on actual kids.  They'll quickly let you know if it's not working for them.  (And don't do what I did and exclusively ask family and friends to read your magnum opus - they will tell you it's great because they love you.  Ask someone with no vested interest in being nice)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just read tin's story. Splendid. The style to me feels like a fusion of the pithiness of Dahl and the logic of Carroll. It has a marvellous quality about it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Thanks for the response, Tin.  Read your story and thought it was very good, sir.  Congratulations on winning!

As for your thoughts, there are some hits and misses with regards to my own work.  Firstly, I don't know that I've completely avoided the trap of writing for children, after all, I am writing for children.  But I do hope I'm avoiding writing too simply.

As for writing something I think a child will enjoy...*gulp*  I have a story, it came to me unbidden and it really is for children.  But crucially, I wasn't sitting around purposefully trying to come up with something aimed at children.  If I wasn't writing this story, I wouldn't be writing at all, and if it's a failure it's likely I'll go back to not writing.

The point about the story sounding good when read aloud is my paramount concern.

Length, as I mentioned, is an unforeseen issue.  While mindful of it now, I'm going to just get the story down.  I'll worry about length in subsequent drafts.  I've even considered writing a seperate, more condensed version for younger audiences.

Really appreciate you taking the time to get down your personal observations and I'll keep it all in mind.
    Get schwifty.
  • Writing a story that's come to you unbidden is, in my very humble opinion, always the best way if possible.  Like you say, get it down, then have a look at what you've got.

The main thing is, you're writing it.

Oh, and thanks to both you and Davy for the kind words.  It's about time I started getting some more stuff down myself...
  • I'd stopped writing until someone bought me the ideal book over xmas. Armada by Ernest Cline. I feel obliged to read it as it was a present, but the opening 2 chapters are really badly written and clunky. Serves as great encouragement that if he can get that published, there's enough talent on this forum to get a library worth of fiction published.
  • I thought Armada was crap too. I quite enjoyed Ready Player One, felt like he bashed out Armada pronto to capitalise on his current hotness.
  • Possibly. I've not read either so can't comment.

Having to bite my fist at the moment. Just got really excited about a YA novel idea and bashed out a summary and 30 chapter breakdown but I'm going to save it until I finish the current book. Which may take some time, but I'll never bloody finish anything unless I just grind on with the fucker.
  • Raz, feel free to share if you want some feedback! Would suggest finishing the whole thing first though.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Thanks, Tiger.  I wouldn't want to share anything from the first draft, but I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm on to the second.
    Get schwifty.
  • Good. First drafts aren't usually worth sharing unless you're a savant like Tempy.

The bastard.
  • Tin too, probably. Winning awards and stuff. Bloody legend.
  • Good. First drafts aren't usually worth sharing unless you're a savant like Tempy.

The bastard.

they call me the first draft master. can't finish shit though.

• Scout wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    Congrats Tin. That's fantastic. Has anyone here actually written an entire novel? I got some sample chapters to an agent who liked them and requested the rest of the book. Slight problem being that's all I currently had! I'm pushing on and now have about 14,000 words. But fuck me there's a long way to go.
    You're a madman! I've been tempted before but the stress/heartache I'd have if they requested a full would be too much. I'm pretty confident in the opening chapters of The Great Swords Book that I write a bit of every x month, but I definitely won't be sending it out until it's done.
    Yup you're right! The only good thing is it's focussed me into actually putting some consistent hours into it. I probably needed this push to get it done.
    How has this worked out, @Scout

What did they say when you told them it wasn't finished? Or have you told them you've left the manuscript at home and will e-mail it over once you get back after an extended holiday touring SE Asia or something?
  • I'm in a slightly different position in that I already have an agent as a screenwriter at the same agency. It's a big agency that also has literary agents. I've been badgering my agent to connect me with one of the literary agent for months. She eventually did and I sent the chapters to her. In hindsight I think it was a bit of a bum steer from my own agent as she never said anything like "make sure you have the whole book and not just a few chapters...". I probably should have known that myself but already being in the agency I was just desperate to take advantage of the fact I could bypass the sludge pile.

So after the literary agent liked the chapters and requested the rest I apologised and said I still had a bit of work to do and that I'd get the rest over as soon as possible. She didn't respond to that for weeks so I was already thinking I'd fucked it but then just last week she asked how I was getting on. I said I was still working on it but due to other writing commitments I'd need at least another few months. She came back saying no problem and no rush. So I was really relieved.

I now have a bit of daylight from Feb onwards so I'm really hoping I can put my head down and focus on getting the draft done. I'm sick to the back teeth of the screenwriting world so I'm really hoping I don't fuck it up.
  • Ah, interesting. Good luck getting it finished!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, good luck, Scout!
    Get schwifty.
  • What's the novel about? Space wizards?
  • Maybe I'm not sure! At the moment it's an apocalyptic comedy about a teenager who's initially delighted to discover he's the last person on earth, then totally gutted when he finds out he's not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!