Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Quality work tin, you also look about 20 years younger than I expected!
  • Thank you very much everyone for all the kind words.  

Also, you have no idea how painful it is to me, to have allowed them to publish my photo...
  • I went and read it, that's some great flash fiction or whatever we're calling compact, concise stories these days. Reminded me a bit of yer man Murakami what with his obsession with characters just planting their feet and unblinkingly accepting things, also perhaps a hint of allegory, maybe, maybe. 

Footnote: Gird my damn loins Tin, you look like a cartoon pilot.
  • Tempy wrote:
    whatever we're calling compact, concise stories these days..

Are they not still just "short stories"? Have I missed something (again)...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Flash Fiction is kinda different in that it is extremely brief often sub-1000 words, but it's being called a few things like Sudden Fiction etc. They're all short stories but I guess it demarcates them for their length or something.

Also thanks for your comment about my thing last page, I will be fleshing it out over christmas I hope.
  • Glad to hear you're fleshing it out fella! Has real promise.

I've recently been tinkering with writing in various forms (again). One of those things I keep coming back to. May well post a work-in-progress something or other later to get some feedback from you badgers.

By the way, what is the collective noun for a group of badgers? A cluttering? A filthiness? An abomination?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sett isn't it, named after their home
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's a 'cete' mate. I was being an arse.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Like the genus that dolphins belong to, weird
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I thought the dolphin genus was 'Tursiops' and their collective noun was 'Pod'?
  • He means they're order cetaceans, but taxonomy is complicated
  • Tell me about it. I hate the HMRC.

Wait...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yup, I guess that's what I meant, and yes taxonomy is hard, hence not minding going back to PAYE
  • F'Tempy. Will be critical. Because a) You are good enough to need that at this stage and b) Because I'm cruel.
    Spoiler:
  • You are of course totally right, I really need to get something finished instead of half assign tens of indulgent introductions. I'll make it my aim over the holidays.
  • Congrats Tin. That's fantastic.

Has anyone here actually written an entire novel? I got some sample chapters to an agent who liked them and requested the rest of the book. Slight problem being that's all I currently had! I'm pushing on and now have about 14,000 words. But fuck me there's a long way to go.
  • Scout wrote:
    Congrats Tin. That's fantastic. Has anyone here actually written an entire novel? I got some sample chapters to an agent who liked them and requested the rest of the book. Slight problem being that's all I currently had! I'm pushing on and now have about 14,000 words. But fuck me there's a long way to go.

I did a few years ago.  I've not had the time/discipline to go back and try again.  

The first thing I learnt having written it though, is that your approach is the one the whole industry seems to basically assume.  Everything is judged on the first couple of chapters (which is my theory as to why so many books start well then fizzle out - all the effort goes into chapters 1-3).  I sent mine off to a couple of agents, and got some very nice "this is well written, but there's absolutely no market for it" replies, and just sort of gave up.  In retrospect I wish I'd written the first few chapters, and then had the opportunity to readjust my direction after feedback, rather than committing lots of time to a thing no-one would ever pick up.  As it is I can't stand the thought of going back to it.  (Though those who've read it, like it.)

Having said that, I kind of needed to get that particular story out of my head, as it had been kicking around in there getting in the way since I was about 14.  So maybe the book was inevitable...

Anyway, the trick to writing a novel is exactly the same as it is to writing anything.  Just keep writing.  I seem to remember I banned myself from picking up any new games until I'd finished the damn thing.

(Also - thank you!)
  • Can I read it too please Tin
  • Scratch that Tin can you come and read it to me, I have a hot chocolate I am ready.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Scratch that Tin can you come and read it to me, I have a hot chocolate I am ready.

Oooh, hot chocolate.  Damn tempting.  (Tragically I have an early morning surgery...)

If you really want to read it you're welcome.  I'll tell you now that, in retrospect, I kind view of it with the same sort of disdain that I would the stuff that I actually wrote at 14.  (To be fair, its biggest flaw, other than having no obvious target audience, is that I never really appreciated that writing a novel was the easy bit.  It's re-writing it, and polishing it up, that's difficult - something that never happened.  So arguably, I guess it's a work in progress...)
  • Excellent stuff Tin. Im delighted for you. Such a brilliantly simple idea. It works so well.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Excellent stuff Tin. Im delighted for you. Such a brilliantly simple idea. It works so well.

Thanks Rev!
  • I wrote something for this place once.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Put me down for that novel too, Tin! Intriguing.

So, I've been tinkering with writing short stories and poems for a while and even started a (pretty bad) novel (got up to about 50,000 words before LIFE HAPPENED).

Anyway, I've lightly polished something I wrote a while back just for fun. It's the only thing I've ever written in first-person, the brief (to myself) being to write a short story in a pulpy, Raymond Chandler-esque fashion but through a sci-fi filter (Lord, that sounds awful now I type it).

Anyhoo, for them that's interested, here it is:
    Spoiler:
  • Scout wrote:
    Congrats Tin. That's fantastic. Has anyone here actually written an entire novel? I got some sample chapters to an agent who liked them and requested the rest of the book. Slight problem being that's all I currently had! I'm pushing on and now have about 14,000 words. But fuck me there's a long way to go.
    You're a madman! I've been tempted before but the stress/heartache I'd have if they requested a full would be too much. I'm pretty confident in the opening chapters of The Great Swords Book that I write a bit of every x month, but I definitely won't be sending it out until it's done.
  • It also dawns on me that everything I've sold has been 1st person. Not quite sure why I'm trying to write THE NOVEL in 3rd person, in retrospect.

Hmm.
  • Just read your short story Tin. Lovely stuff mate. Well done.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Just read your short story Tin. Lovely stuff mate. Well done.

Thanks G.  One of my friends read it to her son the other night - he's apparently written me a list of questions he would like answers to...
  • You should have it illustrated and publish it as a kids book.

zeitgeist 

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Scout wrote:
    You're a madman! I've been tempted before but the stress/heartache I'd have if they requested a full would be too much. I'm pretty confident in the opening chapters of The Great Swords Book that I write a bit of every x month, but I definitely won't be sending it out until it's done.
    Yup you're right! The only good thing is it's focussed me into actually putting some consistent hours into it. I probably needed this push to get it done.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!