And what do you do? including linkedin if you like..
  • [table][tr] [/tr][/table]flipping thing doesnt work,
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Mine are better.
    prove it. What do you do? Spreadsheets and travel to Leeds?
    I'm a project manager.  I manage projects, apparently.  There are a lot of spreadsheets involved fyi.  The Leeds visits aren't work-related.

You said you don't like Leeds. Why go. 
    You are a very secretive person Unlikely. For all the years I've known you, I have learnt more in the last 4 hours than the last 7 years
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Look in your spreadsheets.  EDIT:  Elm.

I will, but they rang up and told me not to go in today for some reason.  So it's 0338, and I'm sat watching Holby City on my Xbox.
  • Hulka_T wrote:
    I went to Leeds once, it was pretty cold.

They have an ASDA with a McDonald's inside of it.

Good luck Mod.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Why don't we have any recruitment consultants here?  Having had my CV fluffed a bit, and been offered the chance to compete for a ridiculously high paying civilian job "when you're done here," I want someone to match my skills to something different in case I fancy a change.

If I had stuck with my first degree choice, I'd go be a doctor.
  • Well, the whole 'surgical strike' thing seems to be a nice compromise...
  • [table][tr] [/tr][/table]flipping thing doesnt work,

Try this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Mine are better.
    I'm a project manager.  I manage projects, apparently.  There are a lot of spreadsheets involved fyi.  The Leeds visits aren't work-related.
    You said you don't like Leeds. Why go.  You are a very secretive person Unlikely. For all the years I've known you, I have learnt more in the last 4 hours than the last 7 years

My girlfriend is at University in Leeds.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    As some of you may have picked up, I'm a web developer. Recently left my first job of two years (spent making sites for large companies, playboy, and films) and joined a pretty cool tech company that makes a product for speeding up internet data delivery (think trading systems/betting sites). I'm slowly filtering myself out of the marketing arm and into engineering proper, and I'm looking forward to becoming more proficient as a developer.
    The janitor.
  • Has anyone here had experience of their own start-up retail? I'd genuinely be very interested to hear about your experiences and what you've learned.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Try this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oh god I think I love this/you/it/life
  • I teach English, Maths, Science and P.E to Korean kids between the ages of 5 and 12. 

So, yeah, no point networking with me then.
  • I draw pictures, work on spreadsheets, pick up shit when it goes wrong and tell people where they've gone wrong and how to make it better.

Good luck mod btw
  • I teach English, Maths, Science and P.E to Korean kids between the ages of 5 and 12.  So, yeah, no point networking with me then.
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Mine are better.
    You said you don't like Leeds. Why go.  You are a very secretive person Unlikely. For all the years I've known you, I have learnt more in the last 4 hours than the last 7 years

Cool, I take it that as soon as she's finished she will be relocating out of there...  
    Flip me. Its almost an unawkward conversation.
    So, do you run with the whole PRINCE2 kind of things then? I see that some people end up sitting the PRINCE2 after they have been PM for a bit. Just to make them more employable.
  • Just wondering if we could maybe get Mod a couple of jobs then. We are all bound to know someone that is thinking about a site. Anyone?
  • I teach English, Maths, Science and P.E to Korean kids between the ages of 5 and 12.  So, yeah, no point networking with me then.
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Mine are better.
    Cool, I take it that as soon as she's finished she will be relocating out of there...   Flip me. Its almost an unawkward conversation. So, do you run with the whole PRINCE2 kind of things then? I see that some people end up sitting the PRINCE2 after they have been PM for a bit. Just to make them more employable.

Yes, she's planning to get the fuck out of Leeds once she finishes in February.

I'm not PRINCE2 certified.  I'm probably going to have to do ITILv3 and PMP before long though, as there's a lot of pressure from the account I work on to have PMs with those accreditations, even though they are 99% pointless bullshit.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I teach English, Maths, Science and P.E to Korean kids between the ages of 5 and 12.  So, yeah, no point networking with me then.
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Mine are better.
    Cool, I take it that as soon as she's finished she will be relocating out of there...   Flip me. Its almost an unawkward conversation. So, do you run with the whole PRINCE2 kind of things then? I see that some people end up sitting the PRINCE2 after they have been PM for a bit. Just to make them more employable.
    Yes, she's planning to get the fuck out of Leeds once she finishes in February. I'm not PRINCE2 certified.  I'm probably going to have to do ITILv3 and PMP before long though, as there's a lot of pressure from the account I work on to have PMs with those accreditations, even though they are 99% pointless bullshit.

I tried to get into PM myself a couple of years ago, was told because I didn't have the PRINCE, I would be lucky to get past application.
    Load of the jobs i see seem to be temporary with banks and the money is stupidly good. £500 - £750 day rate.  Funny how companies look for a qualification before the direct experience. 
     I went for a job with an ITSM company, the Sales Director guy found it difficult to explain ITIL to me without it sounding like it was a big manual about how to manage your IT.  Job Justification nonsense..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'm PRINCE2 certified, never used it properly, not fucking once. PINO.

Re the messages of support, thanks :)

Re pimping me elsewhere, I really appreciate it but I'm going to try and keep it local (Tyne and Wear) for now. I really want to be able to do face to face analysis and training as part of the package. That said, one of my clients is in Glasgow and I'm not going to say an outright no if anyone does have a lead.
  • I dabbled in project management, as it fitted my requirements for decent reward and transferable skills. I got Prince2 and Scrum-master for the CV and (I think) I'm still a member of the PMI.

Prince2 was basic common-sense shrouded in incredible amounts of mystical jargon. It was easy as long as you could remember the special words they use for a plan.

Scrum-master was more interesting, but still pretty basic (it introduced me to the revolutionary idea that as a project manager, I should hold regular meetings with the project team). The problem with it is that Agile is now a buzz-word and everyone's going apeshit about it, and it simply doesn't work for most capital projects. It's great for development projects which encourage iterative prototyping but useless for, say, building a house. Or pretty much everything else.

In the end, the qualifications opened a bunch of pretty cool doors, but I've used them practically even less than my degree.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I'm PRINCE2 certified, never used it properly, not fucking once. PINO. Re the messages of support, thanks :) Re pimping me elsewhere, I really appreciate it but I'm going to try and keep it local (Tyne and Wear) for now. I really want to be able to do face to face analysis and training as part of the package. That said, one of my clients is in Glasgow and I'm not going to say an outright no if anyone does have a lead.

Baby, we're pimping you out. You don't get to say no.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs8Kd_90UoALHXfdoAV0fqQETvBC5cYoJ1zmlHZh-_3HnXbfP0
    I'll take care of you Mod74.
  • I run a games department within HMV in the shopping capital of South Lanarkshire, East Kilbride.

It's great when there's things to do, but most of my time these days is spent deliberately messing bits up so I can tidy them, and chasing teenagers off the iPads/tablets for having Greggs-riddled pastry all over their hands.

Oh, and fucking Skylanders. Fuck Activision.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    I want a bonus.
    you don't need a bonus you go about going zoooooom. Wasnt there a forumite called Zooom! ??

hes still around on twitter and psn.
    (zoom)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I'm a care worker working in care homes and day centre's for people with learning disabilities. Technically I'm an assistant manager at a day centre, although in actuality that merely involves telling staff which one is driving the bus that day and answering the phone. Also, being dumped with the responsibility of telling staff why they won't be getting a pay rise in the next bazillion years ("council ain't got no money, innit" basically). 

I've also worked on acute mental health wards in hospitals, although I didn't like it much. I'm not sure what help that'll be in this networking thread although if any posters do have any mental health issues or learning disabilities then I can offer my limited advice to you.

Currently studying psychology as well so hopefully I can get a proper job and get paid more handsomely than I do now, mainly via conducting survey's and making obvious comparisons like 'people whose mother's didn't kill themselves tend to be significantly happier than those whose mother's did'. There's more to it than that obviously.

My job basically involves being nice to people all the time, which can be a strain. Also, being nice all the time generally tends to lead to other people shitting on you, often literally in my job. On the plus side last month we got a job lot of electric wheelchairs delivered and got to race them around the carpark in what turned into an elaborate betting game.
  • Did you do occupational therapy?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    if any posters do have any mental health issues or learning disabilities

You say that like you haven't been posting here for 7 years.

(not to be dismissive of people with actual problems, it's just a little joke)
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    On the plus side last month we got a job lot of electric wheelchairs delivered and got to race them around the carpark in what turned into an elaborate betting game.
    OMG! SHENMUE III

:)

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I helped out in the OT department once or twice when required, although nursing basically. 

When I worked for an agency, they'd send me off there to cover last minute sickness/short-staffing.
  • I'm a financial controller for a medium sized marketing company.
  • I work in The University of Sheffield Faculty of Engineering as an internal comms person. Basically boils down to writing newsletters and managing image storage atm, but it pays well, it's more interesting than journalism and I get to read a lot about absolutely shit-your-pants- awesome scientific research and interview a lot of fascinating people. 

oh, and there's a lot of cookies involved.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!