And what do you do? including linkedin if you like..
  • Skerret wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    It also might hold the key to valuable new findings on cancer cures and the like.  Probably.
    Elmlea wrote:
    Yeah, it's not funny.  His work with fungus helps pay the bills and keep his wife and children in a nice big home in a  lovely university town.  He's not 19.
    Ill wait for both of your amazing picture images things then...
    science-cat-meme.jpg

clever clogs.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • g.man wrote:
    I am having coffee. mocha g.man

I just had some carrot and hummus wrap things someone scavenged from a meeting.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Correcting Google's written English is a task you'll never finish, Skerret.  Best not to bother starting.

I'm on my phone!!!!!

I'm in America.

Leave me alone.

I want a biscuit.
  • Ron used to receive weekly e-mails which said "the fruit is in the mail room".  How we laughed.
  • google wrote:
    Correcting Google's written English is a task you'll never finish, Skerret.  Best not to bother starting.
    I'm on my phone!!!!! I'm in America. Leave me alone. I want a biscuit.
    A COOKIE. you want a cookie. sheesh
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Cookie.gif
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    You try and post something stupid here and there's already somebody in there with something even  more stupider. This would never have happened on blurum.
    That's right.  On the other hand, it happened every single day, multiple time a day. 

@Unlikely: If we work in shifts I think we could make a dent.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • When I was in America I was introduced to what had been described as the best goddamn biscuits ever made.  I pointed out that their biscuits were just fucking scones.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    When I was in America I was introduced to what had been described as the best goddamn biscuits ever made.  I pointed out that their biscuits were just fucking scones.

I just hee hawed at that..
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Best goddamn biscuits ever made can be found right here.
    Site is a bit dicey but those biscuits, wooororghhhhhh (that means good).
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • On the megasleeperbustypething to London, they now give you a scone, a little packet of hard butter, a tiny punnet of jam and a plastic knife for your breakfast...just as you hit the winding roads of Greater London.

comedy ensues

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • OK, I'm in the office now.

The correct grammar and punctuation begins.
  • i've got coeliacs so i cant eat wheat biscuits.
  • i've got coeliacs so i cant eat wheat biscuits.

I'm on Paleo, so I cant eat any biscuits.
  • I work for the NHS as a Clinical Quality Manager for a healthcare commissioner.  This basically means that I try to make sure that the providers that we commission services from are doing so in a way that doesn't kill too many people, as well as making sure that individual GPs don't go all Shipman on us and murder a load of pensioners.

My job used to be much more interesting as I was working directly within a provider organisation, but all I seem to do now is ask organisations if they can prove that they aren't killing their patients.  I used to do a lot more incident investigation and practitioner performance assessment but now it's all about the spreadsheets.  Fucking spreadsheets.

I want out of the Commissioning NHS, but there's fuck all work out there in my sector.  I really don't want to work with GP Commissioners, they're a shower of clueless fuckwits who only give a shit about how much cash is in their bank accounts at the end of every month.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I want a job that means I can have a McLaren MP4/12C, so I fit in on the school run round here.

Is anyone recruiting?
  • Explain why people in Nevada have mclarens pleasehdw!?
  • Has anyone here had experience of their own start-up retail? I'd genuinely be very interested to hear about your experiences and what you've learned.
    Get yourself Online first if you can. might as well market yourself everywhere as opposed to one certain place. get yourself on facebook asap and get the word out there. Other serious question to ask is whether you need a physical premises to sell what you are selling.  Barter like a mofo over prices for things and look at the local auctions for display cabinet and shop fitting stuff. get it cheap and look at upgrading it later.

Cheers, we are already set up ready to go with our online presence. We're just waiting for the landlord to accept our lease proposal but he's a bit of a douche bag asking for some very unrealistic prices. We're a barbershop and later on a drycleaners so we're selling services. Physical product will make up a small percentage of sales.

It's just the drycleaners I have no real clue about. Anyone had experience working in one? Hopefully if this unit takes off I can leave my douche-bag sales job which used to be enormous fun. The last 3 years have just been hell as the company expanded too quickly and imploded.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    I seem to recall Breaking Bad involved a dry cleaners. Nothing good came of it.
    The janitor.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The last 3 years have just been hell as the company expanded too quickly and imploded.

Didn't know you worked for GAME.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Petey wrote:
    I seem to recall Breaking Bad involved a dry cleaners. Nothing good came of it.

Get Shorty did also.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Good luck with it Mod man. Try and get a bit more professional though with people, spell out requirements before you quote, include a cancellation charge, get 'em to sign everything before you start. Regardless of who they are or the scale of the job. That's the only thing I learned. Also curdbee free is a beast for invoicing as a solo I still use it.  
    Funkstain wrote:
    Scrum-master was more interesting, but still pretty basic (it introduced me to the revolutionary idea that as a project manager, I should hold regular meetings with the project team). The problem with it is that Agile is now a buzz-word and everyone's going apeshit about it, and it simply doesn't work for most capital projects. It's great for development projects which encourage iterative prototyping but useless for, say, building a house. Or pretty much everything else.

I disagree. I think it can be used for everything. Even on solo projects. Best thing about agile is it's  adaptable so you add and take from it. Just don't think micro-management else you are getting it wrong! Anyway it sounds like rev is making his way into the agile route already with his fruit orders. It's something agile attracts is a hippy feel good mentality but I do think it can be suited to many industries where there is a need to manage. The hard part is teaching everyone who is a chicken and who is pig.

As for me I've been in school for the past 6years. I still do vectoring and web consultancy- however I am trying to kill these off and go into large scale systems consultancy. I have a full-time research position at the university and like skerret I review for conferences and I do some of my own research aiming for a Ph.D, currently looking at dependability of critical systems, was looking into ad-hoc networking in crisis scenarios. There's a blog out there somewhere about it all. Other than that people come to me with their problems and I make suggestions. At other times I point out problems and suggest immediate workarounds. I avoid directly teaching undergrads however I do do lab support, invigilating and my door is always open. It's a culture shock in here having jumped from being a publican, to co-founding a design co, to working in software development and then end up in academia where people act like Mexican Americans and do everything real slow!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Mod74 wrote:
    The last 3 years have just been hell as the company expanded too quickly and imploded.
    Didn't know you worked for GAME.

Ha - I actually did work for GAME about 14 years ago!
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Good luck with it Mod man. Try and get a bit more professional though with people, spell out requirements before you quote, include a cancellation charge, get 'em to sign everything before you start. Regardless of who they are or the scale of the job. That's the only thing I learned. Also curdbee free is a beast for invoicing as a solo I still use it. 

Cheers. I know that's good advice but I haven't quite got past the almost casual basis yet. I know I need to start getting stuff in writing. My backstop has been if anyone fails to pay I switch the site off till they do.

I've been trialling Solar Accounts and it seems fine for my needs, was just about to buy a licence but I'll have a look at this curdbee first.

EDIT: I don't suppose I can be cheeky and ask if you have a model quote/contract I could nick?
  • google wrote:
    Explain why people in Nevada have mclarens pleasehdw!?

Dunno.  To drive around Summerlin, by the looks of things.
  • I guess I want you to explain why you live in the same neighbourhood as people who can afford million dollar cars.
  • google wrote:
    I guess I want you to explain why you live in the same neighbourhood as people who can afford million dollar cars.

Because it's the nicest one, natch.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    google wrote:
    I guess I want you to explain why you live in the same neighbourhood as people who can afford million dollar cars.

ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!!
  • google wrote:
    ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!!

Adverse Possession.

aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • I'm currently an individual on disability who has taken the years at home to hone some fun skills in the realm of computery stuff, mainly graphics related, programming and actual mouse/tablet-pen to screen work. So, games making/'intereactive thingies', 2D and 3D art in a variety of contexts bla. Going over the breadth of what I do could take a while, anyways you all know what I do so hey!

Here's what i'm working on currently as a gift to my partner:

bam3.jpg

boing

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!