And what do you do? including linkedin if you like..
  • Dan, it's not scary. It basically means my job is to work with the recruitment firms to work out what they actually do on a day to day basis. The software we build is the equivalent of their operating system. Without it they cannot function.

Because of this there is a huge amount of trepidation when moving to a new system, regardless of how much shit they're going through with their current system.

So a large part of my job is making sure I can appropriately map their entire business to this brand new piece of software.

It would be similar to helping someone learn Windows 7 after using the Xbox dashboard for their entire life.
  • Haha. I spend most of my job deciphering academic guff and hacking it in to readable text so I appreciate the zero tolerance approach.

edit: @skerret
  • Well I knock back 10 year olds trying to buy Saints Row 3. So there.
  • I win on jargon, probably.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I saw some twat in game taking pre-orders for Black Ops 2 from a pair of ten-year-olds the other day.
  • Rodger that.

edit: dammit, Kow...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I despise the elitist, hyper-intellectual tosh spewed out by overbearing academics who jam their office door shut between the hours of 9am and 4pm in case a student sees them and asks a question.  I was reading through a paper the lady friend had added to her list of reading material for her own thesis and  once you'd sorted through the interminable jargon, his conclusions were muddy at best, wilfully biased at worst and his lit review was utter balls.  I can't even remember the name of the paper or author, just that it was turgid in the extreme.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Gotta be quick around here Dan.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • So Google you're like a Business Analyst, right?

That's like the hard part of being a product manager. Do you do any product development, feature roadmaps, in-life management?
  • Kow wrote:
    I saw some twat in game taking pre-orders for Black Ops 2 from a pair of ten-year-olds the other day.
    I had someone come up and ask when it's coming out. It says right fucking there!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    yeah but when's it coming out tho gav
  • Now THAT's customer service!

edit: damn you Skerret are you in all threads at all times?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    yes
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The top 8 anyway.
  • photo.jpg
    ok. its not funny, but it took me 10 minutes so I'm posting it anyway.

you're welcome.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yeah, it's not funny.  His work with fungus helps pay the bills and keep his wife and children in a nice big home in a  lovely university town.  He's not 19.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Yeah, it's not funny.  His work with fungus helps pay the bills and keep his wife and children in a nice big home in a  lovely university town.  He's not 19.

*crawls under a rock sobbing uncontrollably*
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It also might hold the key to valuable new findings on cancer cures and the like.  Probably.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    That's like the hard part of being a product manager. Do you do any product development, feature roadmaps, in-life management?

Constantly. The company is pretty small (50 employees) but I work with the CEO on a daily basis. We're constantly adding to the features to the product based on new requirements.

Case and point, yesterday while we were building a new sales presentation we started to build a cold call component into the product because we realized that was a big hole for us. We just started developing it as we were talking as a group. Detailing what would happen, how it would look, etc.

But I don't think this is typical?
  • I had a meeting.
  • Was there biscuits?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You had a meeting?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    FAGGOTS! JESUS
  • Skerret wrote:
    It also might hold the key to valuable new findings on cancer cures and the like.  Probably.
    Elmlea wrote:
    Yeah, it's not funny.  His work with fungus helps pay the bills and keep his wife and children in a nice big home in a  lovely university town.  He's not 19.

Ill wait for both of your amazing picture images things then...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Case in point Googs.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    Ill wait for both of your amazing picture images things then...
    science-cat-meme.jpg
  • Correcting Google's written English is a task you'll never finish, Skerret.  Best not to bother starting.

There were no biscuits.
  • I am having coffee.

mocha

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You try and post something stupid here and there's already somebody in there with something even  more stupider. This would never have happened on blurum.
  • google wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Constantly. The company is pretty small (50 employees) but I work with the CEO on a daily basis. We're constantly adding to the features to the product based on new requirements. Case and point, yesterday while we were building a new sales presentation we started to build a cold call component into the product because we realized that was a big hole for us. We just started developing it as we were talking as a group. Detailing what would happen, how it would look, etc. But I don't think this is typical?

I'm lucky that I can suggest things and they get done.
    Just today I thought we should get some fruit in the office. 
    It got done. Apples and everything. 

With product development we are the same as well.  Sometimes someone chips in a bit of genius at a meeting that is just worth running with.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!