SPOILERS Star Wars Last Jedi SPOILERS
  • Like I think it'd make a good drinking game? Why wasn't I drunk for this, fuck.
  • Abrams is a hack pass it on. Felt same way after his Trek do-over.
  • Episode VII: A New Hope Redux. 

The whole film did feel like it was just setting up characters and guffins for next two films.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've loved Abrams' work on Stars Trek and Wars.
    SW is all about cyclical familial issues, so makes sense to me that historic themes repeat.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    The only sense of identity provided by Lots More Explosions

I don't know why this is being said in a negative way.
  • On the level of nostalgic, throwaway entertainment it functioned decently. Enjoyed it enough. Some things worked, some didn't. The Death Star 3 was a damp squib, it's like they were embarrassed that they've still only got that to offer to round a film off. You can make a joke of it, or you can do it better than it's ever be done but really they just dashed through it because there was just nothing new to do with that. Too much of the New Hope template. It was almost Spaceballs spoof territory the way it was so clearly riffing on another film. Or a Bond style formula regurgitation.

New characters good, Poe is bestest. The look of the film was great, and there's still something about seeing those iconic vehicles and spaceships fly about shooting lasers at each other. Liked all the fx apart from the Maz Eye Lady who was poorly done and just poorly conceived in every way. Snoke doesn't exactly inspire much intrigue, hopefully there's more to him than Poor Mans Palpatine.

The Kylo as Hans son was a fan theory Id come across a month or so ago. As soon as the village elder makes reference to not escaping his family it was pretty clear he was a Skywalker of some sort, so that was no big shock. And I'd forecast the death of Han as soon as I saw one of the trailers that sort of gave the impression of the New Hope Redux template they were going for, and that Solo was the Obi-Wan figure, bringing the noobs in before dying and giving them the added motivation to be heroes or whatever. And Ford would probably have wanted mega bucks for three films and may have expected the starring status he got here which probably wouldn't have been best for the films themselves.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    The only sense of identity provided by Lots More Explosions
    I don't know why this is being said in a negative way.

Spectacle creep.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Spectacles are great. Creeps are also fine as a white, hetero male.
  • Everything brooks says may be true but I still enjoyed it immensely. Pure nostalgia won't cut it - there's craft there.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Brooks didn't love it.  Big fucking surprise.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • And I mean this had potential. The new characters were fine proposals, I didn't even mind the beachball but everything else was so dickless and convenient. Like Adam Driver's immaculate post-helmet hair.
  • Not as pummeling shite as Crystal Skull, give it that.
  • Oh yeah. Crystal Skull probably explains why this is as safe and familiar as it is.
  • Overall, that was good fun. They basically killed off the old cast, only to have Luke there at the end. A bit weird. New cast, Boyata first and foremost, was very good. Still some random star wars stuff, like the two sets of baddies chasing han, one feels is there to be part of a new extended universe. Favourite moment was when the rebel forces arrived to save the day.

Much better than the prequels, the best one can hope for in a new star wars film. Cut a lot of corners with the story, but it was probably necessary to do that. I liked that, in a sense, Rae's character is more menacing than kai Loren. Island scene at the end reminded me of the best star wars film ever made - that Italian fan fic one.
  • Vela wrote:
    Just saw it. I was in primary school the last time a good star wars film came out.  Quite shocked just how good it was.  Rey is obviously the other dudes sister yeah?
    Funkstain wrote:
    Nah Luke's daughter.
    pantyfire wrote:
    Yeh. Luke's daughter, spirited away when Kylo went bonkers.

I'm not convinced. The symmetry of Luke/Leia and Ren/Rey leads me to believe that unless it is explicitly said in the film that it cannot be, then it must be.

Hell, my brother was massive into the SW mythology back in the late 90s and I remember quite clearly him saying that Episode 7 if it ever existed would start a new trilogy with the son and daughter of Leia and Han Solo playing central roles.

Anyway, happy to be proven wrong, its not like there's heaps to go on but the similarities.

Also, a note on originality: we all know Star Wars was heavily inspired by The Hidden Fortress. It's an enjoyable yet familiar walk along the Hero's Journey. I don't dismiss the desire for originality, but in blockbusters of SW calibre its hard not to expect it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bah. Having this as a half way remake and intro for new characters was the safest route to take yes but they pulled it off wonderfully. The unanswered questions most of us are now curious about rather than pissed off at and the new characters in general were very well received. The film was packed with real emotional clout from the old cast. It is a set up now to move on to new pastures (hopefully). This was an extremely difficult one but fuck it they did it. Finn whooping and hollering when he downed a tie fighter/cannon etc was vintage star wars and really echoed what I felt watching it.
    I cant wait to see it again.

EDIT : Also why keep insisting ren/snoke are not sith?(not having a go,curious) I took it to mean that Ren's training was not yet complete (as said earlier similar to luke prior to dagobah) rather than being some other sect.
    DOUBLE EDIT: Kermode really likes it. Shock
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Actually I'm convinced now Rey is not the sister of Ren as otherwise Han and Leia would have mentioned her as well as their son. Duh me.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also why keep insisting ren/snoke are not sith?(not having a go,curious)
    Because JJ Abe has been quoted as saying they are not Sith, and I'm guessing he would probably know having written it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I never for a second thought they were sith. I see them as people aligned to the dark side and trying to follow the sith but without having any of their knowledge.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good find. I like this idea better than there being another Sith hiding in the background. It gives greater scope for the expanded universe and being able to take the next movies in different directions. JJ did the same thing obviously with Star Trek, so I'm guessing this is a big part in Disney's long term strategy.
  • Ah brill. I had avoided all TFA talk before the film and not had a chance to catch up since. Will read up on that article.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Oh look. Not Sith.

:D
  • Well I fucking loved this too. I don't care if it retread similar story lines or any of that type of critical thinking because by fuck I had fun.
    I can't remember the last time I had as much fun watching a movie at the cinema. The falcon escape had me grinning like a goon (helped by the fact that it was filmed in imax so filled my whole fucking view)

The new characters were great and had, well, character. The new baddie was a brat who is wanting to be bad but can't escape the good he's from. There's enough depth in all those characters to explore them further in the next ones and I can't wait. Not many blockbuster series that can claim that these days.

And it just felt like star wars. It brought back all the memories of watching the originals as I grew up, right from the first time I ever did.

JJ nailed the nostalgia side and now the two "newbie" directors can bring the fresh.
  • Also, I saw the film on imax laser projection. The only such cinema outside of America to have the tech. Which helped make the film look the sex but it also made me notice some juddering and wobbling in the opening scroll that made me wonder if JJ did the text the old fashioned way. Like they did with the originals.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Also also!
    How good was it that the light saber stuff lost all of that ridiculous pizzazz. Just two people having an old fashioned sword fight.

I agree that the final fight between Ren and Rei/Ray was potentially a stretch considering one is quite a strong force user but I was willing to let the blaster hit be the factor that threw him off.
  • Bowcaster, which they earlier made pains to show is hella powerful. Plus he'd just offed his dad so was being all a bit bonkers and all over the shop.
  • I liked that Ren was a completely unhinged not-quite-respected antagonist. His temper was his undoing, and this trait no doubt led to him losing to a relative nub (who had already proven in early scenes that she could handle combat anyway). Ren was no sword master, not even close. 

That loss was his humiliation, which will inspire him to greater prowess later on.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!