The I'm getting old thread of despair and hope.
‹ Previous123456716
  • Pros: The young are the future and there's a lot to like - especially all that left wing hope for social change and new tech stuff.

Cons: They're a bunch of idiots who are largely concerned about celebrity, don't understand or care about social change - let alone capitalism, largely because they're Facebooked off they're nut and all they want to do is post a self-important selfie, as if anyone gives a shit.

Old people are mental and moan like fuck.
  • I wish my selfies did #numbers
  • You are exempt for being awesome.
  • That's nice of you.

I get your concerns though, for all the brilliant folx I meet at uni, there a bunch of cunts that write for The Tab and stand as the voice of the generation.
  • Coming up to 30.

Pros: Own my own company, about to own my own property, Still young enough to go on a night out with people in their early 20s and my music selection gets them going (not home).

Cons: I'm always tired man. Cunting paperwork! Hangovers are REAL! Popular music is shit, even the popular stuff in side genres is shit.
    Women I used to wank over are getting ropey. Jesus Christ Lil Kim what happened to your face!?!
  • Can we define old though before I start calling too many people whippersnappers?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Without Petey around I guess I'm fairly close to youngest these days
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    median, whippersnapper

36 and don't look a day over 12.  I've just been added to a fucking steering committee for this VR thingy, me and a school head and 2 PVCs (all profs obviously) and a VP and CEO and some other bloke.  What the fuck.  Old Skwerz making the Big Decisions™ and breaking out cigars with the heavy hitters.

Actually it'll be really dull in all likelihood.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    median, whippersnapper 36 and don't look a day over 12.  I've just been added to a fucking steering committee for this VR thingy, me and a school head and 2 PVCs (all profs obviously) and a VP and CEO and some other bloke.  What the fuck.  Old Skwerz making the Big Decisions™ and breaking out cigars with the heavy hitters. Actually it'll be really dull in all likelihood.
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh 
    Oh, oh, oh, oh 
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh 
    The right stuff 
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh 
    Oh, oh, oh, oh 
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh 
    The right stuff 
  • I was promised that I'd be complaining that the music kids listen to would be just noise by the time I was pushing 40. It's all pussy bullshit.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'll be retiring in the next five to six years. Admittedly it's early retirement, but still...

Already sharpening up my "Get orf ma lawn!"
    Get schwifty.
  • Skerret wrote:
    median, whippersnapper

36 and don't look a day over 12.  I've just been added to a fucking steering committee for this VR thingy, me and a school head and 2 PVCs (all profs obviously) and a VP and CEO and some other bloke.  What the fuck.  Old Skwerz making the Big Decisions™ and breaking out cigars with the heavy hitters.

Actually it'll be really dull in all likelihood.

And yet you don't play games. SHEESH.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • What are PVCs? I'm currently imagining Skez working with a couple of shiny dommes.
  • You would be correct.
  • Coming up to 30.

Pros: Own my own company, about to own my own property, Still young enough to go on a night out with people in their early 20s and my music selection gets them going (not home).

Cons: I'm always tired man. Cunting paperwork! Hangovers are REAL! Popular music is shit, even the popular stuff in side genres is shit.
    Women I used to wank over are getting ropey. Jesus Christ Lil Kim what happened to your face!?!

That's why you laminate your pictures.

I'm 36 now, 2 kids, mortgage etc. I would say that I have a problem with young folk, but I pretty much hate everyone.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Without Petey around I guess I'm fairly close to youngest these days

State your age.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Have we not had any g.man jokes yet??
  • No, g is from a time before jokes.
  • The g man jokes themselves have gotten really old. 

I'm gonna be 37 this year. Not one where I'll be getting anything to write home about. Have to wait until 40, wife says. :(

She will be 35. Might get her something nice. Like a home gym or something...
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • AJ wrote:
    What are PVCs? I'm currently imagining Skez working with a couple of shiny dommes.

Vice Chancellors? No idea what the P might stand for. Provost? Perky? Pernicious?

Being surrounded by ten beavers (my phone put that rather than teenagers) every day has me feeling equal parts elderly and youthful. My default mode for dealing with them is a Brooker/Dee hybrid.
  • Go with Booker T instead.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I just turned 36 fwiw. Or mid twenties, as I like to view these things in hexadecimal.
  • The facts: every generation has the same amount of great hopes and forgettable dopes.

The latter far outweigh the former, every time.

Dopes range from people with a social conscience who don't do much with it except argue with their dads and vote left, to thoroughly harmful sociopaths who actively work to destroy society for their benefit.

That's a lot to fight for those poor hopes.

But this is universally true. The dopes will always have their shitty generational trappings, which older dopes like us will deride, but it doesn't mean anything.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    50 in April.

Re young 'uns. I quite like teenagers etc. It's pre-teen I don't like for some reason. I've come to realise I've never really liked children apart from my own.

Music. Some contemporary stuff is fine but mainstream is dreadful on the whole. I don't believe it's due to any lack of talent - problem is with the industry. But it's probably been always like that.

Don't like digital content. As convenient as it is I still like physical media. The downward slide of the album is a source of sadness for me too.

TV? Sad to see the US now with the rep for the superior product - and splendid content it is at times. The BBC? Ah dear. Still great in many ways but is now forced to play games for figures and is in the race to the bottom.

No film stars any more either. As bad as the Hollywood machine was in the so-called golden era with it's hold over the actors, we did have generations of proper film stars. We get great actors now but they aren't really stars.

And as for film? We are now in the age of the movie - a rollercoaster ride of special effects and exposition for mouth breathers. Fucking awful. I enjoy big daft films and CGI-fests but not all the time. I'm fed up being disappointed in the cinema. Again - no lack of talent - just risk-avoiding productions made to sell plastic figures. So many missed opportunities.

Premier league - a preening bunch of peacocks in a money making machine that is now sadly mistaken by the population as a reflection of the national game which only stokes the fires of disappointment every time there is an international competition. The balance has shifted too far to player focus. It needed to move as players were paid a pittance once upon a time and it's a short career - but it's got out of hand. The players are bigger, faster and stronger and that's great but the problem is the system in which they exist - again - that is the problem.

Entertainment as a product sold by a business. Necessary but the focus is way off.

A time was when a few international players in a team added a bit of welcome spice. Now the managers aren't even British.

Rap music? Fuck me. No doubt the poetry is well penned, and the phrasing requires skill. But it's a dirge and it hurts my ears. 

Too many stand-up comedians on TV now.

I miss video game arcades.

Mars bars are a shadow of what they were, as are Club biscuits.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Points for Stoph, Pro Vice Chancellors.  You've got VC, deputy VCs for the key areas (research, teaching, commercial etc.) then the PVCs which act as faculty heads.  Then you've got schools, then you've got streams, then you've got me.  I'm way out of my depth in other words.
    Big uni too, 50k+ students and 7 campii here and abroad so I'm a small feesh.  Sadly everyone else on the panel will be on at least double what I am and more like triple for some.  They can buy lunch.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Getting older has actually been pretty awesome actually. I sit in the atypical camp though as I've never married or had children and don't have a nine-to-five job. Sure, I definitely pee more often and I have to look after my elderly mother, but these things are a small price to pay for all the advantages.
    I'm happier in myself than I've ever been, I have a decent disposable income, I have a hell of a lot of free time, a job that I love, and several days a week I'm blessed with being able to get up when I feel like it and go to bed when I want to rather than have to.
    None of the things that bothered me in my younger years matter to me any more and I largely enjoy life. I'm old enough to realise that most of life's troubles don't amount to a hill of beans and still young enough to enjoy anything that genuinely interests me. I have no regrets and just take life as it comes.

it's all good really

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK wrote:
    50 in April. [proper "in my day" rant]

I think it's important to appreciate positive things about the now, as well as lament the passing of time.

Could you do that post again, but this time celebrating all the things about life today that are so much better than they were 10, 20, 30 and 40 years ago, please?
  • Yeah like G's but with a less personal bent
‹ Previous123456716

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!