The I'm getting old thread of despair and hope.
  • Good thread by the way SG.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I think i'm 38 but can't remember and can't be bothered to work it out, Birthday in a couple of months so i'm sure i'll be reminded then.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm starting to slip remembering my age.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • It's twelve, remember
  • Skerret wrote:
    I'm starting to slip remembering my age.

This.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • @Skerret

HAMS = 8+1+13+19 = 40

You are 40, incidentally the same age as Unlikely. You will forever be at the age of HAMS.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I am HAMS years old
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • You're only as old as the HAMS you're feeling.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I just turned 36 fwiw. Or mid twenties, as I like to view these things in hexadecimal.

This is a great idea a and I'm stealing it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    50 in April. [proper "in my day" rant]

I think it's important to appreciate positive things about the now, as well as lament the passing of time.

Could you do that post again, but this time celebrating all the things about life today that are so much better than they were 10, 20, 30 and 40 years ago, please?

We had much the same discussion in our office. It was about TV mainly, it was much better back in the day. We've got a massive age spread in our office, from 18 through to 63, so we had stuff like Big Daddy wrasslin' vs Gladiators vs that ninja thing, Morecambe and Wise vs Noel fucking Edmonds vs Ant and Dec and all sorts of shit.

The conclusion I drew was that they're all much of a muchness, new shit pops up for new generations but it's no better, worse or even very different from the stuff that's gone before. The standard must surely be slowly creeping up for everything with the odd blip along the way, or we'd still be sitting round the camp fire chatting shit instead.
  • Modern generation wins at TV because it has Gogglebox and Take Me Out.
  • 31 this year, starting my own business and enjoying what I do. Becoming very well respected in the pragmatic karate world and been invited to train with some of the countries best. Recently been asked to write several articles for an online magazine by some of the people I've looked up to as my superiors for years. Married to a wonderful woman and planning our first kid for sometime this year. 
    So all coming up Milhouse.

Pro: family life is good, finally reached a point of being respected in my field and about to go self employed doing a job I love. 

Cons: Kids nowadays are stupid as fuck. Teenagers are all obsessed with YouTube "celebrities" who play video games rather than do anything worthwhile, the young are making stupid people famous. Modern pop music is just awful, most of what is now in the charts is just terrible drivel.
    Hipsters are everywhere with their stupid flannel shirts, beards and ridiculous hair, looking for all the world like lumberjacks who have no clue which end of an axe to hold and if lost in the forest would be struggling without a soy-mocha-skinny-frappachino-with-extra-cinnamon served with a gluten free, organic something or other reading a Facebook post and getting offended on someone else's behalf over something completely fucking trivial.
    "Oh no, someone held a door open for a woman... That offensive and sexist and I'm OFFENDED!" 
    Fuck the fuck off you fucking cuntstain.

Oh and there's not been a decent comedy since the early 90's.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Plus I'm sad that when I discussed the film Back To The Future with some of the 10 year olds I teach they all considered it "old rubbish that looks terrible"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • hahaha
  • Going by the posts so far, g.man is 24 and wookie is 76. ;-)
  • djchump wrote:
    Going by the posts so far, g.man is 24 and wookie is 76. ;-)
    dont get me wrong, I love the modern world, it's brilliant. 
    Just the people that ruin it
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Plus I'm sad that when I discussed the film Back To The Future with some of the 10 year olds I teach they all considered it "old rubbish that looks terrible"

I had a student tell me that Jurassic Park looked really good despite being such an old film. I wanted to crawl directly into my grave after that.
  • djchump wrote:
    Going by the posts so far, g.man is 24 and wookie is 76. ;-)
    It is interesting. There definitely comes a time in life when all the bullshit that annoys you just fades away into insignificance and just lets you get on with life. It's been a pleasant surprise really.
  • Im just saddened by the fact that most kids I teach seem to be growing up raised by iPads.
    When I grew up my brother, friends and I spent most of our days over the forest, building dens and climbing trees, learning how to make camp fires and basic tools. Playing at being soldiers lost in the jungle. We grew up getting muddy, making rafts that we would then try and float down the streams with, which of course never worked and we always ended up swimming to the banks whilst laughing.

Sure we played videogames and watched tv but we were active kids who learnt how to have fun and make fun. 

It's wrong that I have to actually organise and run sessions to teach kids HOW to play and HOW to create games.
  • Also, getting hurt and being told to "man up and walk it off"
  • anyone who says man up should be shot, such a shitty figure of speech.
  • Or "woman up" whatever works for ya
  • Ghostbusters is 32 years old, i remember going to the cinema to see it with friends and finding a £20 note on the way.  THIRTY TWO YEARS.
  • Wasn't it 1985?
  • 1984 bruv, 7th December according to this new fangled encyclopedia in a box.
  • Oh no! 84! I always thought it was 85!
  • Bollocks! I've been wrong, always thought I was born the year Ghostbusters came out.
  • Im just saddened by the fact that most kids I teach seem to be growing up raised by iPads. When I grew up my brother, friends and I spent most of our days over the forest, building dens and climbing trees, learning how to make camp fires and basic tools. Playing at being soldiers lost in the jungle.

First: not sure that access to technology is that much worse than access to shit and mud. Genuinely: would like a proper conversation about it. I'll beat you to the conclusion though: there's value in both and neither is inherently better than the other. Unless you want to raise a feral shit-stained wood dweller.

Second: Not every kid, even those without (mostly those without) access to iPads etc, get to fuck about outside in the countryside. Forests are mostly privately owned: how'd you get access to them? If you're talking national parks, lucky you for living near one, and not being busted for lighting a fucking fire.

Third: you're teaching them martial arts I assume, so their parents are trying to get them interested in confidence-building physical arts and they remain committed to that. Unless these days you use iPads to hit each other with?

Fourth: imagination and confidence are not things that are equally apportioned between every child, either by nature or nurture. Some kids are great at making fun (those bros who created a million cards...) others are more passive.
  • I'll be 31 this year. I've got a 4 year old with an ex-lady and am engaged to a new lady, getting married next year.

Pros - I have a good, stable job and earn decent money, own a house, generally all good.
    Cons - Money goes on sensible shit like the house/wedding/future, not the fun stuff so much (couldn't go snowboarding this year as £1k towards the wedding is more important...).
    I randomly get injured - e.g. I seem to have developed 'tennis elbow' which is annoying as fuck when you want to go to the gym and lift weights.
    Work has more importance and pressure associated with it.
    Time seems more of a commodity. I love spending days just playing games/lounging, but these days it feels like a guilty pleasure almost, as no doubt there is something I *should* be doing, like cleaning the house, putting up a shelf or some bollocks.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Thought it'd be superfly who'd do the hipster stuff TBH

@cinty 28 yo, not even left uni yet. Officially ambling through life in a soporific haze, destined to end up destitute and homeless.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!