Fire Emblem: Fates
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a shame you can lower the difficulty but not increase it, I'd be tempted to start again but 4hrs in three days is a lot of gaming.  Got 2hrs in while I was being driven to a zoo yesterday (sitting in the back too), was like rolling back the years to the LCD era.
    I did much the same, managed to catch up in no time as you can skip the cut scenes - defo the right decisison

Took your advice, cheers.
  • Bang into this now, brilliant stuff.  Only up to chapter 8 on my Hard reset, but spending loads of time just enjoying the skirmishes.  Not sure how I'll cope with Conquest, which I believe removes the grinding (which doesn't even feel like grinding - it's just fun).

Any tips from those further in than me for characters that flourish when properly nurtured?
  • I'm not too far in myself, but it tends to be the characters that you get that are really low level (as they've got more levels-worth of stat increases that they can go through), especially if they come along later int he game. 
    IIRC in FE:Awakening it was the level 1 farmer kid "Donal" (?) with a pitchfork and pot on his head that joins a reasonable way into the campaign - you had to really look after him for ages as a single hit would kill him so you had to knock enemies down to 1 HP and let him finish them etc. (also make sure not to do the class transition until they've hit the current class cap at level 10 or whatever, to make sure you get the most stat bumps you can).
  • Ha, Donal was the one that made me think I should take a character called Mozu under my wing in this, I'm just worried it could be a double bluff forthelols.
  • Donal was a tank!

Not sure I can be arsed with Mozu, using this as a prep for conquest so need to get used to being strategic with levelling.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Donal was the most powerful bumpkin in Awakening. By the end of it he would have been by far the most powerful character he could go back in time by chewing on some straw into oblivion and smack Zelgius' chops.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Haha, I've just tried introducing Mozu into my team, late in the game.  Unfortunately I can't get her to do any damage at all, so she's stuck on level 4.

Bit of a problem I've had really.  Relying on a few quality units to do all the work.  Now most of my team gets detroyed in 1 or 2 hits while my good units kill everything and get like 4 exp for their troubles.  It's really taking a lot of resets to beat chapters for me now.

I do like that it punishes you for taking easy wins early instead of being a bit more thoughtful and spreading the exp around.

Much like The Daddy I'm really looking forward to Conquest.  Think I'll be a much better player next time.  Maybe.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Hmm.  Time to spend some gold on battles/tonics to level up the likes of Hana for me I think.  She's just about OK with a defence tonic, but she gets killed quicker than the healers.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bang into this now, brilliant stuff.  Only up to chapter 8 on my Hard reset, but spending loads of time just enjoying the skirmishes.  Not sure how I'll cope with Conquest, which I believe removes the grinding (which doesn't even feel like grinding - it's just fun). Any tips from those further in than me for characters that flourish when properly nurtured?

I would not have been able to beat this game without Oboro (spearmaster). She was a formidable tank.
  • Do the paralogues stick around or are they timed? 
    Spoiler:
  • I believe they stick around unless one of the parents dies

On the subject of this Conquest is the best fire emblem game. On the right side of tough, funny characters, and love all the objectives.
  • chapter 4, easy so far :) nice gwaffix
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I lost one of my faves in chapter 10 :(
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'm playing on Hard/Casual.  Turns out it doesn't even matter if Mootsy dies.
  • I thought my A-team was slightly ahead of the curve in this - three paralogues done, almost always level someone up on a challenge or two in between chapters - then I hit chapter 12. 
    Spoiler:
  • I could do without the castle bits in this too.  Not my cup of tea at all, and the project-no-rub bits are creepy.
  • Ah no wait.
    Spoiler:
  • I killed him with Orochi. I promoted characters at level 17 on Birthright.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So which version do I buy?
  • I think it depends on how leet you are I think, Birthright is an easier game I've read and Conflicts is one for experienced players. ( so I've read )

Birthright is £25 from Thegamecollection at the moment
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Only played Birthright so far.  It's very good but doesn't look like toppling Awakenings.  I preferred the in between stuff in the previous games - move along points of a world map, buy something from a new shop, chapter or grind.  I tried to enjoy the castle upkeep sections, but they've ground me down and I find them irritating.  The battles are excellent though, of course.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I'm getting rid of my SE, if kerno doesn't want it, you can have it for £70+postage, boris.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    I think it depends on how leet you are I think, Birthright is an easier game I've read and Conflicts is one for experienced players. ( so I've read ) Birthright is £25 from Thegamecollection at the moment

Cheers may grab the first one then ;-)
  • Definitely Birthright, if you liked it and fancy a massive challenge get Conquest after. I don't think Birthright tops awakening but Conquest beats it because....

ClPvCpCWMAAUGeA.jpg
  • Have you tried Revelation yet dogfingers?  What does the clock say for these in your 3DS records page?
  • 50 hours on Birthright completed (bear in mind I occasionally leave my DS on charge, probably 40 is more realistic). At chapter 19 on Conquest and I'm at 22.

Haven't tried Revelation, heard its a mix of the 2, grinding available with the excellent objective based battles.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Birthright ordered, with points got it for £24 from Game Collection. That's holiday sorted :-)
  • Birdorf wrote:
    I'm getting rid of my SE, if kerno doesn't want it, you can have it for £70+postage, boris.

I'm ok mate, just restarted awakening again. Thanks anyway
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Gosh darn it Conquest is hard.  Rage deleted my save at chapter 10 after dozens of failures.  Not happy about that this morning haha. 

Cracking game though.  Determined to beat it now more than ever.

EDIT: Played for an hour this lunchtime and rage quitting has worked out for the best - It turns out I'd let my maid die in chapter 6.  She's very versatile and it's helpful having an extra healer early in the game.  Feeling good; just need work to finish so I can kick on with it.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I'm a bit worried about Conquest, I don't think I've got the (scared) stones.  I've seen mentions of a step up per difficulty, i.e Normal on Conquest could be considered on par with Hard on Birthright, whereas its Hard mode isn't far off Birthright's Lunatic.  I'll do some more digging, if this is the case I'll be playing on Normal as Hard on Birthright is just about perfect for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!