The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • I've found all towers, I just love being in this world, exploring, finding new areas, it's amazing.

The combat is pretty wank though, you can mix it up and make it fun but is there anything you can do to make fighting a Lynel fun? It's not hard just takes for bloody ever.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've just been throwing bombs at everything as the weapons breaking every 3 hits was driving me insane.
  • I'm sure in previous Zeldas you could cycle your lock on between enemies. I dont think I've yet done that in this game?..
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • You can press the lock/block button again (ZL on WII U)

It's not intuitive, i keep trying to switch using control stick like dark souls
  • Yeah, what i've been doing. Sure you could flick left or right in previous games.
  • It's safe to say I never came close to getting the hang of the fighting in this.  I just did what worked and hoped I was pressing the correct shoulder button for the desired action (bow/bombs).  A definite case of muddling through.  As I mentioned in my quick review (52 games thread 2017), the fighting was serviceable but noticeably lagging behind some of the the giant strides made elsewhere.
  • Yep. I'm fine with it but it's a mess to get used to. Also against larger enemies I'm often doing a side jump out of the way when I mean to be sprinting. And holding down button with larger weapons usually results in me messing it up by not doing anything or just doing a normal attack.
  • I just accidently walked into Canon whilst trying to find something else. Slightly annoying that the game just zips you along into an unleaveable level. Quit and loaded back in. Link is none the wiser.
  • The combat is pretty shit in this. @Retro diamonds and star fragments are used to upgrade armour. Don't sell them!!! Especially star fragments. They're rare as rocking horse shit.
  • I sold all my gems.  Partridge shrug.  

I meant to ask,
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Combat in this is absolutely fine and fucking piss easy. Those Major test of strength shrines are a doddle once ya work it out. Ice weapon + guardian weapon, rinse repeat. Lynels, just time ya dodges.
  • Yeah, easy. Boring. 

To be fair, if it's 3rd person and not Dark Souls is gonna have a fucking hard time satisfying me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Game ain't about the combat. If it was Dark Souls combat I'd have dropped it sharpish. I don't play Zelda games for a challenge.
  • dark soulzzzzzzzzz
  • The combat is pretty shit in this. @Retro diamonds and star fragments are used to upgrade armour. Don't sell them!!! Especially star fragments. They're rare as rocking horse shit.

Cheers mate
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Lynels, just time ya dodges.

At the risk of “LOL n00b git gud” that’s easier said than done. I’ve never worked out what the timing is supposed to be, so trying to get better is shooting in the dark.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Lynels, just time ya dodges.
    At the risk of “LOL n00b git gud” that’s easier said than done. I’ve never worked out what the timing is supposed to be, so trying to get better is shooting in the dark.

As the sword is very close to hitting you jump backwards, as he charges you, jump sideways when he's near. Its the same timing as pretty much every other enemy, just a bit more edgy due to him wrecking you if its not right.
  • Nah, dodging’s for fannies. Shoot Linus in the face, preferably with a triple Lynette bow prised from the still-warm hands of his dead cousin. Mount his ass when stunned, hack away at the fucker, shoot in the head in a nice slow-mo-bow move, then repeat. Weapons don’t degrade when mounted apparently.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Game ain't about the combat.

I know. I said combat was wank but still love the game for the exploration and everything else.

Let's hug
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    no im gonna fight you to the death
  • It will be a never ending dodge fest, first one to die of old age/heart attack.
  • Also in terms of selling items, is it a flat rate all over or do certain places pay more for certain items?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I sell almost everything as you pick more up on the way. Currently sitting at 25k due to gems primarily. Only thing I don't sell is ingredients/ancient parts.
  • Andy wrote:
    Lynels, just time ya dodges.

As the sword is very close to hitting you jump backwards, as he charges you, jump sideways when he's near. Its the same timing as pretty much every other enemy, just a bit more edgy due to him wrecking you if its not right.

The combat has been comprehensively shown to be completely broken in this game in numerous videos bud. How do you not know this? Also, DS, a man of exquisite taste when it comes to these things, you should really know better. ;)

It's really terrible. A massive dampener on the game.
  • I'm in desperate need of funds and am beginning to think it's because of hoarding items.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I need money for fairies and the house.

Also ancient parts are pretty pointless once you've got the ancient armour right?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Find Pondo, Retro. Target him from the start, position yourself a few feet behind him, release auto-aim and throw. You'll soon work out the angle and it's the easiest money from there.

Or you can sleep in the stable at Den Perry's Banana Grove (Lakeside) and grind the dragon every evening (is it evening?). It appears about a minute after one of the sleeps, anyway, so not long after you reach the bridge.

Djornson wrote:
    It will be a never ending dodge fest, first one to die of old age/heart attack.

Unicycle.gif

Quickest way is with the dodges, else freeze 'em and bash away. There's a gap between their hurtboxes and legs when they charge, so you can sprint towards their bodies when they're close to avoid their swipes.

But yeah, Richies and combat are boring given how many things you have to kill for upgrades. Without that requirement I'd have had the patience to kill things far more inventively, but I was looking for every shortcut after my twentieth Hello. If you're gonna tie so much progression to combat (elective or no in terms of Ganon), make it rewarding without this manufacture that so many others are enamoured by.
  • I'm in desperate need of funds and am beginning to think it's because of hoarding items.

Sell 90% of all your gem types &....
    cindemon wrote:
    ...and I haven't found an easy source of farming yet.

Best farming method apparently. Wish I knew it before I went the mining gems route for the last fairy.

• The fact that Lynels are the hardest enemy in the game and the most boring to fight is a big failing in BotW. It's also a bit weird that you never need to beat one in the game at any point, or learn any of its attack patterns, thank fuck. The hit boxes and dodge frames are so broken it's laughable.

Fighting a Lynel is like pulling teeth. Nothing fun about it whatsoever.

You can happily swan into the Ganon fight and take a full on stab in the face and survive, yet take a swipe from a Lynel in the wild and be one shotted.

The whole battle mechanic is busted beyond belief, especially when you factor in the shitty healing system.
  • cindemon wrote:
    I'm in desperate need of funds and am beginning to think it's because of hoarding items.

Sell 90% of all your gem types &....
    cindemon wrote:
    ...and I haven't found an easy source of farming yet.

Best farming method apparently. Wish I knew it before I went the mining gems route for the last fairy.

Nice one, will give all this ago today.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!