The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • The fact that Lionels are the hardest enemy in the game and the most boring to fight is a big failing in BotW. It's also a bit weird that you never need to beat one in the game at any point, or learn any of its attack patterns, thank fuck. The hit boxes and dodge frames are so broken it's laughable.

Fighting a Lionel is like pulling teeth. Nothing fun about it whatsoever.

You can happily swan into the Ganon fight and take a full on stab in the face and survive, yet take a swipe from a Lionel in the wild and be one shotted.

The whole battle mechanic is busted beyond belief, especially when you factor in the shitty healing system.

Aren't the Lynels just a part of that easier to complete than to master Nintendo approach?

They're there for the completists in the same way Star Road is in SMW.

That's my take of it anyway.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • For me, lynels were a welcome threat in a Zelda game, something that’s been lacking for a long time. The feeling of dread when I saw one in the distance, knowing how powerful they are made the world more enjoyable for me. These areas were marked with a skull ‘come back when I’m better equipped’ marker.
  • Exactly.

A common complaint with past Zeldas was that they became too easy for the die hard fans.

Lynels scratch that itch for them, whilst being totally avoidable for those who just want to complete the game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm in desperate need of funds and am beginning to think it's because of hoarding items.

do the snowball bowling  game
  • Djornson wrote:
    I'm in desperate need of funds and am beginning to think it's because of hoarding items.

do the snowball bowling  game

Not found that. Where is it?

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Next to hebra tower. YouTube will show you how to get strike every time which = 300 rupee
  • Another nice tip, thank you.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Exactly.

A common complaint with past Zeldas was that they became too easy for the die hard fans.

Lynels scratch that itch for them, whilst being totally avoidable for those who just want to complete the game.

I kind of get that, but for those that just want to complete the game, everything is avoidable.

I would prefer a few more high level enemies dotted about that are actually interesting and challenging to fight, and some challenges and quests that are worth doing post game. As it is, you reach a point in this game where you're OP really early on.

I guess I wanted the BotW end game to be something it will just never be. It saddens me that there's this amazing world that I could still be pootling about in, but the desire is not there, even with the DLC.
  • Ok what the fuck is the electric fish you need for the Riddles of Hyrule side quest and more importantly where the fuck is it.

I've been fishing for the last half hour and have found plenty of fish but none that are electric.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think there's a few near the Rito village.
  • No luck finding any there.

Stumbled across more Shrines and side quests whilst I was there though.

I get the feeling The Weapon Connoisseur and Riddles of Hyrule are gonna be the bastards of the bunch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You going to complete everything?! Pfft

Also there is a guy at outskirts stable who buys raw gourmet meat for 100 rupee
  • No way, just the side quests that I happen to find/trigger and getting all the Faries. Then I'll go sort Ganon out and see the credits.

Korok seeds, filling the compendium, getting all the armour etc can do one.

Finding all the Shrines might be something I'll do casually over the coming years. I've currently done 70. There's 120 isn't there?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 120 yes. I've only 52! Wouldn't mind finding all either
  • Yes or no answer please.

Can I continue playing after Ganon has been defeated?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    Yes or no answer please.

Can I continue playing after Ganon has been defeated?

Yes with caveats
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Catching up with some of this:
    Exactly.

Once I’d got the dodge mechanic down (which didn’t take very long), the only slight danger posed by Lynels was the possibility that you might smash every weapon you had over their heads during a fight.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I never got the dodge move down and so ran away from lynels for the whole game. I think I killed one in total.
  • I tried fighting one repeatedly, near the beginning when you're gathering arrows.  I texted retroking something like 'fucking hell this gets difficult quickly', then we gradually established that I was being foolish.  I never approached one again.
  • I think I managed to beat that one after cooking up some +hearts food
  • It felt doable at a stretch, otherwise I like to think I would've twigged.  I got his energy bar a fair way down on one occasion by getting up close.  I plan to go back in to kill one at some point though

puzzle spoiler
    Spoiler:
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I tried fighting one repeatedly, near the beginning when you're gathering arrows.  I texted retroking something like 'fucking hell this gets difficult quickly', then we gradually established that I was being foolish.  I never approached one again.

Happy fighting them, but you need to prepare.
    Fuck trying it without enough meals, and a good set of weapons.

And always try to stay as close as possible.

Though now, after clocking the game, and looking at vids, it's clear that there are a variety of approaches.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Hellos are easy if you have enough juice to sprint under their swings' hitboxes and don't get lazy. You can't afford to let them get too far away when they retreat for their charges, hence the need for high stamina to both chase after and then run at their front legs.

Their difficulty for me was always a boredom-induced loss of focus, and that's why having a durable 40ish weapon to waste became a necessity. I think I had to do 30-40 for the upgrade I was after; which turned out to be surplus.
  • Yeah it just takes forever. I'd rather they were better at killing but didn't have so much health/defense
  • Lynels were just a slog. Game was a lot of fun but the combat was a bit shit and Lynels were just needlessly spongey. Once the dodge was down, it was just a matter of whether you had enough durable weapons on you to actually perform the task that you would be perfectly capable of doing.

You can’t have skill-based combat AND health sponge enemies AND weapon degradation. Something had to give there.
  • Yeah the weapon degradation and healing system are the worst things about the game. I wish they weren't a thing but hey ho.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    That’s exactly what’s stopping me playing more of this, and may be the reason I trade it for Mario Odyssey. Hmmm.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I fucking love the weapon degradation. You're all fools.

Never had a single issue with it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Constantly picking up, discarding and switching weapons was tedious as fuck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!