Let's sort Davie out with a PSVR. Can we 'stretch' to a digital copy of Destiny 2?
  • Hang in there Davie.  Hopefully you'll be home today and things will start looking less bleak.
  • digi wrote:
    It all feels too close and horrible and scares the life out of me of im honest.

Don't worry, you've got this.

Everything that's happened was bloody terrifying, but you're still here, and you know what you need to do.  You got a warning shot - take heed and you'll be fine.

(There now follows a whole bunch of advice you've been told 20 times already, and probably don't want to hear again.  Sorry.)

So, yes, there's going to be a few drugs that you're going to have to take, probably for the rest of your life.  They help prevent it from happening again, as well as preserving that stent.  They're bloody annoying - take them anyway.

The main thing is going to be following the cardiac rehab.  They should already have given you some idea of exercises that they want you to follow.  Take is slowly, but do them.  Your heart's a muscle, and recovering from a heart attack is essentially the same as recovering any other muscle after you over exert it.  Start off gently, and gradually build it up - then keep it there.  Some people worry about exercise after a heart attack - I think because of the early emphasis on rest - but in the longer term it's actively better for you to be doing regular exercise.  And, yes, sex is fine after 4-6 weeks, with no evidence that it puts you at any further risk of a heart attack - despite how it happened this time.  (It's just another form of regular exercise...)

As for smoking - vaping is better than cigs, not taking anything is better than vaping.  (As Gonz says, nicotine's a stimulant, it raises your heart rate and so isn't ideal - though it's a Hell of a lot better than the fags.)  Do whatever will work to get you off the cigarettes.

Booze - I don't know how much you drink, but chances are you'll need to reduce your intake, and you need to be particularly wary of binge drinking.  

The diet stuff I expect you know.  Quick version: more fruit, salad, veg and fish.  Less meat and dairy.

Finally, it's perfectly normal to feel utterly freaked out by all of this.  A lot of people suffer depression afterwards, or lose confidence.  That's completely normal, and if it happens to you, talk to someone about it.  That said, there's no reason whatsoever why you can't make a full recovery, or even be healthier still after this.  

Oh, and at the risk of stating the obvious, if the guys at the hospital have told you anything that disagrees with any of the above then, obviously, listen to them - mine are general generic comments, theirs will be specific to you.
  • If it helps Davie, my Granny has had three heart ops including a stent and is fighting fit in her mid 80s. (with the exception of the odd cold and a gammy back)
    She (and my Grandad) gave up the fags 30 years ago though.
  • You should’ve asked what she thought of The Last Jedi.
  • Just been giving the all clear so just waiting to see what happens on ward and get meds and whatever.
    Hoping i can get my brother to pick me up and take me home.
    Also hoping i can get a shower first too.

I love you guys, im so excited.
  • Awesome news. I hope you have the best shower ever. 

Good luck with all the recovery.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I hate to say it but if they've only just now made that call and have to sort out meds with the pharmacy before it closes as well as complete all the discharge paperwork you might find that you have to spend another night there.  Very much hope that's not the case but these wheels turn slowly.
  • On the bright side it would be another day of not smoking, and those first days are crucial.
  • Hoping the lack of updates over the last few hours is a good sign.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Davie, home, putting on the vr, firing up resi 7. Relaxing time
  • It got to 4 pm and depression hit as i read unlikely post as someone else was telling me the same thing.
    I had previously been pacing up and down and asking everyone i could 'any news on my discharge letter and meds'
    No results sent thru is all i got told once.

Feel like banging my head off the wall so i get transferred thru to preston (head hospital).

Sorry about lack of updates i had 40 winks just after 4.
    Still no idea yet and been on phone to my girlfriend and big brother.
    Told them i dont need visits as im getting home earlier.... I may not be now though so i told them just to wait till i am discharged.

Also my girlfriend told me my mate kel was emptying my ash trays last night to get a cigarette last night and has pawned his mobile to get weed too.
    I told her i dont want him round in that case, dont want the influence or temptation.
    Feel like crying.
  • Chin up my man. As far as the hospital stuff is concerned, the worst is over and wheels are moving. Just gotta be extra patient.

We're all with you mate. Keep ya head up.
  • If you do headbutt the wall, I'll come visit you.

Don't headbutt the wall though.
  • If you do headbutt the wall, I'll come visit you.

Don't headbutt the wall though.

Thats worth it though pal. ;)

They didn't take kindly to me saying that too them either.

My meds paperwork is missing wich apparently means they must be sorting my meds.

And a guy across from me just shit himself as im typing. :(
  • My exho result is missing too now, and they are just now realising this from 2 or 3 hours ago.
    Couldn't make it up.

Bloody stinks in here now :(
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes but how is he wiping his arse?
  • Iv moved in to the hallway i feel a bit sick, foljs cleaning and spraying and stuff.

I woke up the other night and i was sure he pissed in sink. (in between his bed and the guy next to me)

Other 2 guys have been excellent company although i didn't really want to know how long they have to live. :(
  • digi wrote:
    Bloody stinks in here now

I’ve been with quite a few people in the resuscitation room, who are in an induced coma, and due to be taken to intensive care. Once the resus team have the person stabilised and the doc is on the phone to IC, a couple of nurses come in and give the person an enema.

Last time was a guy who I had to give CPR to in the city centre on a Saturday night (fun times). He’d shit himself, which is understandable, but it was all over his clothes, which got dumped in the appropriate waste bag, which I had to seize, just in case he died. That’s when a nurse told me she’d heard his keys in his trouser pocket. I had to go delving in there to retrieve them. Luckily, I had an Olbas oil inhaler to shove up my nose.

Another time, I had to go through two black bin liners, each with six Farmfoods carrier bags in them. Each carrier bag was full to the brim with little parcels of shit, wrapped in a sheet of kitchen roll. I checked the contents of every little parcel. Hundreds of them, from very recent through to (presumably) weeks and months old.

I’ve become used to everything in this job, from dealing with angry violent folk, to people with various bits of themselves hanging off, dead folk, and nutters. I’ve never, ever become used to the smells, though. Folk who have been wearing the same socks and trainers for months without cleaning them. Folk who haven’t washed their junk for even longer. Festering groin abscesses. Each has their own, piercing tang or suffocating fug. Human excrement is, I think, the worst. I don’t know how people with kids deal with nappies. Fucking hell.

Basically, you have my sympathy. And the nurses who had to deal with your room mate have my admiration. Fuck that noise.
  • digi wrote:
    It got to 4 pm and depression hit as i read unlikely post as someone else was telling me the same thing. 

Sorry about that Davie.  I thought maybe it was better to be aware sooner rather than later. 

It's small consolation I know, but take heart (HA HA) from the fact that medically you've been judged well enough to go home, and the pieces will all almost certainly fall into place tomorrow.
  • Davie, at what point can we joke about all this?
  • The thin brown line.

FFS - @Andy’s big post.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy’s post reminded me of this legendary response to a Reddit question asking medical professionals about the worst thing they’ve ever had to deal with.

Warning, it’s long and disgusting (in a body horror type of way rather than morally):
    Spoiler:
  • You have my sympathy andy couldn't deal with it, nurses removed us all, i had already removed myself.

Silver lining,my echo scan had gone missing somehow.
    a doctors coming to see me soon and then il be told by a rather lovely and pleasent nurse (damn i wish id finished on friday morning) that iv to phone for my transport.
    As its going to take my brother over an hour to get here, in the mean time during this she will go thru my meds with me and il be discharged.

Im only getting my meds that are in my locker so im not sure how many days worth or whatever that is but im so pleased.... And tired and achey.
    Cant wait to get home and relax.
    Unlikely wrote:
    digi wrote:
    It got to 4 pm and depression hit as i read unlikely post as someone else was telling me the same thing. 

Sorry about that Davie.  I thought maybe it was better to be aware sooner rather than later. 

It's small consolation I know, but take heart (HA HA) from the fact that medically you've been judged well enough to go home, and the pieces will all almost certainly fall into place tomorrow.

Id rather know pal, the bummer is when they tell you your going then you organise it.
    Then you dont and have to tell folk your not.

As i were reading your post one of the other lads said more or less the exact same thing.

My brothers wife said waiting to be discharged with meds is also the longest part too.
    (she said it a lot worse and told me about her mother wanting pain killers on her death bed and the nurse gave her two paracetamol and how she wanted to strangle her but just shouted and screamed abuse at her and not in these words).
    Andy wrote:
    Davie, at what point can we joke about all this?

Sooner the better!
    Been trying to keep spirits up so it would possibly be rather helpful pal.

Much respect to you and the job you do, i know i couldn't do it!
    (well i do have a criminal record after all so *shrug)
  • Holy mother of god.

FFS!! @Yoss.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think that god, or any of his relatives, are anywhere close to that story.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fucking hell @Andy now the Last Jedi thread makes sense ;-)
  • Couldn't read all that yoss, maybe when im feeling a bit more lively eh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair play, it certainly is long.
  • At some point Davie is going to realise that the reason I've now twice posted the same thing as someone in the same room as him has told him is because I'm in the same room as him.

Apologies for shitting myself.

And pissing in the sink.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Deviant. You piss yourself and shit in the sink.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!