Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Ta. How many badgers have rage quit this one then?

I keep quitting in a sulk, then going back to it later, which seems to be my standard approach with From stuff.

Up to...
    Spoiler:

...so far. Which I suspect is embarrassingly early on. The game makes me feel painfully old and slow whenever I meet a boss. (Whereas I actively enjoy dispatching the regular grunts...)

Beat this today, shout out to painfully old crew.
  • I only get to play this on the weekend if I have a few hours spare. As tin robot said, I'm quiting in a sulk and coming back later. Though so far it does seem sekiro has less exploration in terms of size of areas and alot more boss fights. I've never been a fan of boss fights.
  • I quit on the first General. Went to have a poo and a think, came back knowing exactly how to beat him.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I only get to play this on the weekend if I have a few hours spare. As tin robot said, I'm quiting in a sulk and coming back later. Though so far it does seem sekiro has less exploration in terms of size of areas and alot more boss fights. I've never been a fan of boss fights.

The bosses are the absolute high points of the game, so it might be an uphill battle for you.
  • I really like the boss combat concept in this, although very early in.
    Working out if they are posture or health weak is a really interesting dynamic.
  • I'm doing pretty good at this. Now up to
    Spoiler:
    But only have had a few attempts. I find every now and then my timing starts to fail me but I usually just take that as a sign I should quit for the time being.

I like the progression of being owned by a boss and then finally beating them sometimes taking almost no hits.

A lot of cool secrets around the place too.
  • I think it's up there with the first Dark Souls. It's really bloody good. There's loads of exploration and secret areas. It really opens up too. I'm a big fan of how open and large the areas are. You can go real far without a loading screen. Hirata estate seems to be the only area that requires one so far for me.

I've enjoyed all the boss fights. I've been stuck on Genny for hours now but I'm actively trying too hard to do it taking zero damage I could've probably done him a while ago. It's such a good fight. My only issue with that fight is the cut scene you have to skip every single time beforehand.

Other quibbles are the almost pointless run backs to some bosses - just put me outside the boss arena please, the load times are just a tad too long on console for endless retries on bosses, and it runs like dog shit on OGXbox.

Other than that it's shite.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    I only get to play this on the weekend if I have a few hours spare. As tin robot said, I'm quiting in a sulk and coming back later. Though so far it does seem sekiro has less exploration in terms of size of areas and alot more boss fights. I've never been a fan of boss fights.
    The bosses are the absolute high points of the game, so it might be an uphill battle for you.

I'll persevere for now. Maybe I need to get further into it as Chalice's post and it will open up. Still not a fan of the combat but i'll try to see it through to the end.
  • Dang GA
    Spoiler:

Gotta love those classic FROM moments though.
  • Oh god, I did it. My hands are shaking.
  • I’m way behind most of you, but having had a day off, I’ve hard a chance to get a bit further, and yes it’s opened up a fair bit.
    Spoiler:

Probably won’t get a chance to play for a bit now, so confidently expect to lose any skills I may have acquired by the next time I run at it...
  • GA and LB down there, not exactly clean but not too hard either.
  • I don't love this. I like this, but I do not love it. Not very far due to a lack of time but... I just haven't got the time to dig in.
  • I think I'm a filthy casual.
  • You need to succumb more to it Tigre. You need give it your blood and sweat.
  • Hmm, not back just lurking, interested in impressions of select folk on this and..then.. chalice is back, OMG!

Anyways, at the end of this beastie now - methinks. Tis good, > DorkSoulsII  && slightly < enjoyable than all my other Souls-Borne exps up to this point.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Fun fight with Geni tonight: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/409181285
    Great summary of how perfect the combat is
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Kicking myself for fucking up two of his jumping slashed, but yeah it’s outrageously good when you realise you can just stay in their face and trade deflects
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I still can't time the deflect right most of the time.
  • Ended up selling it on PS4... but missed it too much and brought a steam copy.  Can get it running at 60 FPS in glorious 720p.  The frame rate didn't seem to make much of a difference to my average deleflection skills.

But it was an awful lot of fun replaying it, knowing what to do and where to go (though I still managed to get lost halfway through, lol), and generally not getting stuck learning boss fights.

Did have a crack at new game plus but it quickly kicked my ass all over again, sadly.  Think I'll try a fresh new game and try finding all the power up stuff first time around, to be a bit more prepared.
    Silke wrote:
    So I took down DOH, which really is the perfect acronym.  What made it work was changing those - by this point - fucking grating strings to this (I was trying to keep it japanese):

Nice!  Found it's a pretty decent game to listen to music/podcast too, actually.  At least upon revisiting areas you've already been/grinding etc.  Playing like that makes me less prone to panicking in boss fights for whatever reason.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Am I allowed to say I haven't been finding this all too hard. A challenge, sure, especially at the bosses but it never seems insurmountable. I especially like the bosses where you just have to knuckle down and learn their combos to get a good party chain and eat up all their posture.

I'm looking at you O'Ren.
  • I agree, even the current run I’m doing isn’t too bad. The posture system is very forgiving.
  • Agree - finding it easier than dark souls
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Took a while for me to adjust but once I switched from dodge to block as the "safe" option it fell into place.  The giant with the enviable SPD range might hinder that process but it's also pretty funny that he's the first roadblock.

Got a fairly clean run on this boss on playthrough 6, just took a couple of frisbees to the face (staggered spoilers)
    Spoiler:
  • Nice! I definitely got better at him later, but I struggle to keep the pressure up on him. Hadn't thought of the dodge you perform throught he wide blade, will have to incporporate that myself.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Just don't dodge the first hit of the explodey combo because sometimes you end up facing the wrong way.  It hurts.
  • Well I've got my TV back at least, so I could go back now. Probably forgotten it all.
  • That's CoMo2 done without too much trouble. Did I do it the cheap way? Damn right I did. I've no shame.

I would actually love it if you could instant deathblow more bosses like that. Perhaps after you've successfully done a phase once, you can basically skip it from then on with a sneak attack.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!