Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Spacegazelle1 - I got so drunk I couldn't remember the first one and had to start again.
    I get error 109 when I try to add. Try adding me. should be same as my tag here

It's not. Is it the underscore?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I don’t think I’ll ever beat the heart. Almost always battered by the guard tentacles
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Nice one Noxy! Never really used Snecko Eye with any success.

Being offered that at the end of act 1 was critical as id grabbed a couple of cards which were a bit heavy for the early stages. In combo with the relic which meant I drew 2 extra cards at the start I was always getting great opening turns... until the heart. My opening hand was shit. But from there I was so cautious with each move, making sure I had that x5 strength damage card in hand (forget the name) to coincide with my pen nib. And really had to time that corruption perfectly so I didn't run out of block to early. And even then it was so close at the end. 2 health left! 

I have to go to bed now but I think I won't be able to sleep. I feel like im on drugs
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I remember punching the air when I finally beat the heart so I get that high feeling.
  • Spacegazelle1 - I got so drunk I couldn't remember the first one and had to start again.
    I get error 109 when I try to add. Try adding me. should be same as my tag here

It's not. Is it the underscore?

Will check again this evening

• Just had my first ‘Victory?’

Ascension unlocked. 

Was with Ironclad. Against Timekeeper. Was really easy somehow? Maybe I chose right cards. Will post pic, but I had pyramid relic which helped me as I kept the cards in hand until I could get a good combo like Spot Weakness and Flex and Limit Break and then do an attack for mega damage. It was Fiend of Fire or something that did it for me. 10 cards in my hand, high strength, mega damage per card.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Good combo of cards and relics. Good choices, so good job.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • So it was on my 30th run, as follows:

PKyAVZn.jpg
  • Good set of relics and cards there, the only bad thing really is Flex, but Runic Pyramid makes it worthwhile.
  • I'll punt on flex any day with upgraded limit break in play.
  • If I had to guess I'd say it was 90% likely Flex came way, way earlier than Limit Break though.
  • Grats Elf!!!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Anyone want to give me some general advice on this. I’ve got to the 3rd section, but no further than the start of that - I was woefully under spec’ed.

Do I just play it and hope that the cards and relics fall to me, or should I be trying to cultivate a deck that works? I’m guessing it’s the latter, but I don’t get much chance to do that on a standard play through.
  • It's hard to be succinct, but the best advice I can give is don't try and work towards a winning condition in a deck. A good deck is built to tackle the next challenge it will face as efficiently as possible, that way you get more chances to pick cards and relics. Don't pick cards just because they fit an archetype, pick the cards you need. Block, AoE, card draw, scaling damage: that sort of stuff is your bread and butter and just because you're running poison with the Silent doesn't mean you should be ignoring something like Cloak and Dagger which sounds like a Shiv card, but in reality is just a good all around strong card that synergises with lots of things cards and relics very well.

It's definitely worth learning more about the strong cards that each class has, watch a few overexplained videos by Jorbs to see what thought processes are worth going through when picking cards and playing. People here play more than I do (especially as I've been away from home for over a month) but the idea you don't get a chance to cultivate a deck is something you just have to banish from your mind when playing, you make your own luck in the spire.
  • Tempy wrote:
    If I had to guess I'd say it was 90% likely Flex came way, way earlier than Limit Break though.

Shhhh. We're building elf up here.
  • I am very happy for his success, but he said he "maybe chose the right cards" which feeds back into my advice to Syph, the only "right cards" are the ones that win you the game in that run, some mild criticism on picking stuff like Flex which frequently shows early game thanks to the way rarity works isn't tearing him down.
  • Cheers chaps. I guess time will tell if I’ve got the stuff to succeed.
  • If I can beat the Spire, any sod can.
  • I have only just discovered that the elite with the flame on his icon is extra tough. I thought it just meant it had a key for the heart as reward, so I was always aiming for him.

I probably would have never beaten the heart had I known this. But equally I might not have died so often either
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Anyone want to give me some general advice on this. I’ve got to the 3rd section, but no further than the start of that - I was woefully under spec’ed. Do I just play it and hope that the cards and relics fall to me, or should I be trying to cultivate a deck that works? I’m guessing it’s the latter, but I don’t get much chance to do that on a standard play through.

Yeah wot Tempy said - build for the next challenge, so build incrementally based on the deck you have now and think about only the act you're currently on. It's hard not to take a rare card that might be cool later but doesn't work with the cards you have now, you must be disciplined and resist. It's important to get to know the elites in each act so you can try and prepare for them based on weaknesses in your deck, by choosing certain cards or saving certain potions.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Struggling with Asc3. Had a run earlier with the silent that felt good, but then I stupidly rested with almost full health before the boss. I wanted to upgrade something. Meh.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Resting, or not, is a skill that I am only just getting the hang of. It’s knowing the potential next fight and what type of damage you can expect. Not resting and upgrading is generally the way to go once you either know the odds (which I don’t) or generally feel you are ok (which I kind of do) with the next fight.

Nice one Elf. And first win against Time Keeper of all of the final bosses is to be applauded.
  • Time keeper is an interesting boss, imho hes the hardest to beat by miles when you're starting out, but once you're used to it I think he's the easiest of the Act 3 bosses to beat.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Think it depends on which character and your deck choice. Corpse Explosion plus deca/docu easiest for me. I don't mind Ascended One, but not with Defect as the Defect has too many great power cards. TK obviously wrecks people playing shivs or claws.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    If I had to guess I'd say it was 90% likely Flex came way, way earlier than Limit Break though.

YOU SCUMBAGS!!! Let me have my moment of glory. 

(I always go for Flex whenever it shows up. Why is it not that good (in the deck I have)?)
  • Roujin wrote:
    Time keeper is an interesting boss, imho hes the hardest to beat by miles when you're starting out, but once you're used to it I think he's the easiest of the Act 3 bosses to beat.

Yeah I thought he was a bit too easy but it’s the first time I played him. Struggled a lot more against Act 2 bosses. His gimmick seemed easy to work into your plans/strategy? I mean I had 4 energy so every 12 turned was the end of my turn anyway. And small increase of strength every 3 turns seems minor?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

YOU SCUMBAGS!!! Let me have my moment of glory. 

(I always go for Flex whenever it shows up. Why is it not that good (in the deck I have)?)

It’s good in that deck, but that’s because you have Runic Pyramid so you can deploy it with cards that take advantage of it.

Before you have that it’s a card that spikes your damage for one turn, something that is rarely desirable, it’s hogging card draw for something that has better immediate effects like block or scaling damage.

Given how rarity drops i’m assuming flex turned up earlier than the pyramid, in which case i’d personally avoid it.
  • Makes sense. I did end up with turns where it was useless and taking up a slot.
  • Worth remembering that those one turn buffs, both from cards and potions, can be turned into full battle buffs with artifact. (either potion, relic or card)

Artifact treats them going away at end of turn as a debuff.

Very handy to know if you get guaranteed artifact relic, for instance.
  • Yeah I’ve been keeping eye out for that but never had it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!