Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • But there's still a huge degree of variance at the best of times because you don't know what skills you'll play in any one hand before your other cards burn your energy and end the turn. What is can be useful for is ending up combat heavy after all the exhausting.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Asc17 down. Three to go. Didn’t need snecko. A lot of limit breaking helped. By the end had 96 strength. Bit of a risky deck with inconsistent blocking, but muddled through.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Asc17 down. Three to go. Didn’t need snecko. A lot of limit breaking helped. By the end had 96 strength. Bit of a risky deck with inconsistent blocking, but muddled through.

Nearly there.
  • Think I've finally figured out IC's exploit. With corruption he just becomes hillariously overpowered. Free defense plus draw a card+ bonus energy and you can accumulate block points in the hundreds lol. Devil form probably gives strength boosts instead of defense.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Anything can be the exploit with the right card/relic synergies, though some are certainly rarer. It’s not often, for example, that I have a well optimized discard deck for silent, but when I do it’s all the more satisfying. Even rarer would be getting a deck that can consistently close out battles with grande finale (think I only managed it once, at around a12, but this was probably my single most enjoyable playthrough). Conversely, with defect I too often drift toward biased cognition being the focus. Maybe that’s my own fault, but it’s probably the reason I enjoy this character the least
  • I had a glorious conclusion to act 2 with silent yesterday. I knew I was facing the champ at the end but didn’t manage to accumulate any damage scaling cards on my chosen route. At a20 the battle was looking mathematically impossible before it had even begun. But then on the last floor I picked up nightmare, which adds more copies of a chosen card to hand next turn.

In combination with that potion that plays your next card twice, this gave me a slim hope of victory with a specific game plan. This involved chipping away at his health until the half way point, then playing nightmare (twice with the potion) to add 6 copies of choke (deal 12 damage, whenever you play a card this turn the enemy loses 3hp), then play them all the following turn with bullet time for a one-off burst of scaling damage. And it all went exactly to plan
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Noice!

• Excellent EC. The depth of this game is staggering and it keeps on giving.
  • Thanks to GamePass I am now installing this on my home laptop, which sits right next to my work laptop and what could possibly go wrong.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I forgot about laptop. I can now have this installed on 5 devices!
  • b0r1s wrote:

Does this include beating the 4th act or is it just to the end of act 3? I know you unlock each asc level after beating act 3 but I've confused as to what counts as down.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Thanks to GamePass I am now installing this on my home laptop, which sits right next to my work laptop and what could possibly go wrong.

I work from home sitting at my gaming setup. My Bone, PS4 and Switch are a button press from being on and played. 

That said, I’m always on my (personal) phone anyway on this bloody forum and a button press from playing StS on it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I forgot I actually initially bought this on my Mac. So I have it on 5 devices if you count iPhone and iPad separately.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Does this include beating the 4th act or is it just to the end of act 3? I know you unlock each asc level after beating act 3 but I've confused as to what counts as down.

Just the three bosses, non-heart, runs. Will start heart runs once I’ve completed this.
  • I got a version of this for the boy on the Switch and now he's better at Defect than I am. He's even got the 5 card achievement (with IC). I'm still better at Silent though.
  • How old is he? I’ve asked mine if they want to play, I’ll teach them, but they’re hooked on Pokemon, Zelda, and Ring Fit.
  • He's soon to be 10. I got him into it like we both got ours into Nintendo. Good games are good games I think. He loves the Shovel Knight series, anything metroidvania (after showing him Super Metroid), StS and now Monster Train. Plus all the usual NIntendo stuff.
  • I got him into StS because I thought it'd be good for his mental arithmetic (he loves maths) and I wanted to teach him about patterns and planning ahead. I'd teach him poker but the ex doesn't think it's a good idea.
  • My 11yo loves StS.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • It's a great game!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    My 11yo loves StS.

She or he will be better than all of us.

• Like chess the kids are good at this.
  • I beat ascension level seven with IC and I realised a couple of things

1) ice cream + x potion + snecko + whirlwind upgraded is a pretty hot combo (the snecko just increase the chances more than anything).

2) I feel like the game I want to play is somewhere inside this game (my favourite challenges are the draft ones) and I have to really tear up my desire for purity in decks - a machine that is entirely predictable and Elegant.
  • The deck you want to play is irrelevant. You're either good at this game or not, and if not it's your own fault. Luck plays a part but skill wins out, irrespective of what you think a good deck is. This is why it's so good. You have to adapt to card choices on the fly and use that intelligently. You'll be biased with cards you know but a good deck is built on the fly and that varies hugely.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Final point that SG makes is key. You can be biased with cards because you are comfortable with them. But if you don’t learn them all you won’t understand the potential.

I still don’t know all the cards because I am biased. But I’m getting there.
  • Every card decision is based on what act it is, what final boss is coming, you're relics, what elite you might face and the cards you have already. It's ridiculously complicated.
  • The deck you want to play is irrelevant. You're either good at this game or not, and if not it's your own fault. Luck plays a part but skill wins out, irrespective of what you think a good deck is. This is why it's so good. You have to adapt to card choices on the fly and use that intelligently. You'll be biased with cards you know but a good deck is built on the fly and that varies hugely.

What are you chatting about.

Im saying the puzzle i find satisfying is not the principle one the game offers.

What you’re saying is the equivalent of telling someone they they should get good at sudoku because they say they like doing crosswords.
  • Ok, just beat the 3rd act with IC.
    Key to beating the game (first 3 acts) is hit as many bonfires as possible acquiring powered up cards early on especially energy multipliers. Collect and spam those 0 cards. When building your deck, after a battle go for the powered up cards so your deck isn't too weak.Get as many relics as soon as you can. Corruption is key if you want to survive the final act, combined with multiple powered up energy multipliers will scale your defense and damage output. Haven't really played around with snecko yet, it seems a bit too random at this stage of the game.

Next, poison lady and ascension?
  • You've just described one way to do it. ;)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ie, get snecko and avoid 0 costs is good too. You can do block builds, you can do str builds factoring in deliberately taking damage to gain str. You can get a chievo for winning with 5 cards, or you can win with a 40 card deck.

Depending on relic, fires can be useless.

(maybe you have one of the relic tha gives you upgrade, or you have the cars that upgrades all cards in hand so you're better off chasing other Paths and daring to do extra elites to get extra relics.)

Apologies. I'm being one of those guys.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!