Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Game has big Dunning Kruger energy and Hunk is definitely on the first ascent.

“i’ve beat the game this is clearly how you do it”

vs

“i’ve played this for 1000 hours and i’m not really sure how to reliably do it”
  • I beat ascension level seven with IC and I realised a couple of things 1) ice cream + x potion + snecko + whirlwind upgraded is a pretty hot combo (the snecko just increase the chances more than anything). 2) I feel like the game I want to play is somewhere inside this game (my favourite challenges are the draft ones) and I have to really tear up my desire for purity in decks - a machine that is entirely predictable and Elegant.

Monster Train might be what you're after as it has more tools for honing your deck each act - lots of opportunities to purge cards and duplicate cards, upgrade powerful cards easily etc.
  • I've been playing on my iPad, and my averageness is plain for all to see in this thread.
    I downloaded it for my phone to play on the go, and during a pretty boring supermarket trip with the mrs I played it on there for the first time.
    I beat it first attempt with swordmans. I haven't dared boot it up on my phone again.
    100% record mellonfarmers!
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Ah cheers temps. I’ve heard a lot of things about that one. I wonder if the thing I want only really exists in a theoretical space and the game I want is inherently less satisfying (it’s hard to believe that Slay the Spire devs had the game I’m describing in front of them and didn’t make a conscious choice to move away from it).
  • I think it sounds inherently less satisfying because by having a solvable game where you can hone your deck down to a razor's edge, you're always looking to do that rather than do what Spire asks, which is adapt constantly. The latter produces more interesting decisions, the former starts to chart a line of optimal choices and certain things become auto-refusals because they will just be categorically weaker choices, which is never as interesting as two choices that are tangled up in a lot more variables.

Monster Train is fun, but I don't think it's any coincidence that Jorbs has managed to finish it 100% in a few months and gone back to StS. I think Roujin will also attest to that, as I think he's capped out the Covenant ranks too (they're MT's version of Ascension)
  • Monster Train is good and is less of a time investment than StS imo, since I'm already on the max difficulty in wayyyy less time than I put into Spire. 

Key differences are Monster Train practically encourages you to break your decks, but also on the flip side, at higher levels this does lead to an average run being a lot less likely to clear than an average run in Spire. It's like more of everything, more ability to create broken combos of things, but on the flip side the game is balanced towards that at the higher difficulties, which sometimes leaves you on a run where you might as well abandon the run 3/4 of the way through if you know you aren't going to get the opportunity to visit a merchant or event you need to get a chance at getting the item or upgrade to get your broken stuff going in the final boss fight. 

At the regular difficulties though it plays like Spire, except everything is just MORE. More cards, more monsters, more crazy spells and stuff exploding and all the colours children, etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The wall I hit with slay the spire is (I think) is that when I choose a card I always think “will this be good if I don’t get these things”. It makes me not want to choose anything really.
  • I think it's a wall everyone reaches. You're not necessarily gonna get past it, but i've been banging this drum for years even though I rarely play it now - Jorbs is spot on in the interview I did with him where he goes on about learning to pick what you need immediately, and for the future based on what you have, not what you might get. There are definitely times where you pick a card because at the minute it is a 5/10 and in the future it might be a 10/10 vs a card that is 8/10 now and will end up a 3/10 at the end. The balance is hard.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Game has big Dunning Kruger energy and Hunk is definitely on the first ascent. “i’ve beat the game this is clearly how you do it” vs “i’ve played this for 1000 hours and i’m not really sure how to reliably do it”

What does freddy kruger have to do with anything?
    Still loving the game, many builds equals more depth to the gameplay.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It's not a game about builds, is the thing.
  • Sorry, played too many souls games.
    Deck builds?
  • It's a game about using cards and relics to meet the challenges that are between you and clearing it. Reducing it to builds attributes winning to lucking into the right circumstances to complete a set idea, vs the adaptive and reactive nature of creating your deck. It's not drafting an MTG deck with a specific purpose.]

Not to say you're enjoying it wrong or anything, just trying to help you pry open the part of your mind that lets you see the game for what it is vs. what it looks to be.
  • Rogue relic card deck builder? Hmmm....

That's quite an awful name for the genre.
  • Turns out flattening things down to genre names can be unhelpful in understanding their complexities! 

Anyway, enjoy it, have fun, don't expect expert status until you're a few hundred hours deep. Don't assume the three or four ways it looks like a character can win are anything other than the tip of an unfathomable iceberg.
  • Yeah I'm with Temps, it's easy when first pick the game up to think that you should be building to some kind of archetype based on what you know of the card pool for each character, but actually that's not going to help you in the long run because the only way to actually clear the harder difficulties as you progress is to get better at balancing picking the right card for your current situation while weighing that up against how useful the same card will actually be for you at the end of the game to see if you should bother with it at all.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • 317th in Daily Climb today, which was a great Silent variant with mods of Big Game Hunter (loads of Elites), Slow on enemies and pick 10 cards from a deck of 30. Got Time Slug and beat him on my last turn - was doing crazy damage on first turn with Backstabs, Shivs, Finisher and relic combos.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I had basically the same run!

I think the point of the daily is to see how far you are willing to push it. The score is critical. Any score <900 feels like a missed opportunity to me.
  • Ooh, snecko eye is good. Not as insane as some of my earlier runs with IC or defect but comes close. Game's a lot easier with it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Ie, get snecko and avoid 0 costs is good too. You can do block builds, you can do str builds factoring in deliberately taking damage to gain str. You can get a chievo for winning with 5 cards, or you can win with a 40 card deck. Depending on relic, fires can be useless. (maybe you have one of the relic tha gives you upgrade, or you have the cars that upgrades all cards in hand so you're better off chasing other Paths and daring to do extra elites to get extra relics.) Apologies. I'm being one of those guys.

A 5 card deck? Are you insane?
    Apologies accepted.
  • It’s very doable.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You can win with a two card deck tbh
  • Ac20 with ic is a struggle. Have made act 3 twice. Final boss once. Act 2 boss a handful more. Then a bucket load of first act pummelling.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Just had a fun run on ascension 10 where I trebled up on fire breathing (10 damage for every curse/status); evolve (draw two cards for every status); barricade (maintain block); power through (20 block + two wounds) and wild strike (15 damage plus a wound).
  • Yeah, I've been messing with that a few times. Especially if it's the blob first boss.
  • I think I did get blob actually.
  • I've beaten the game with every character but The Silent... it's getting frustrating. I'm finding it hard to have decent runs if I don't get any poison cards.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You should be getting poison as they are common cards, but if not look for zero cost cards like shiv and backstab. With accuracy and the hand knives relic you can cause a lot of damage that way.

Envenom synergises really well with zero cards as each unblocked hit causes 1 or 2 poison. If you get snecko skull this rapidly increases.

But also look at your blocking strategy. Getting multiple blurs can become really powerful and also look at cloak and dagger (block plus shivs). Dodge and roll is also good but I prefer blur.

There’s more but I’ve not played Silent in ages, but in all honesty I’m surprised you aren’t seeing poison cards. Also you may not have unlocked everything for her.

• She is the toughest to do well with, I find. 

The jorbs vid talking about how silent is designed to be powerful first turn was useful for me. It's sorta obvious, but is worth remembering, if the drops lean that way, or you've lucked on a relic, loading up with innate and stuff first turn can be surprisingly awesome.

But yeah, she's weak, so you need to think about block more, and you need to use other trickiness to get real big damage per turn, especially if you haven't got poison going hard.
  • Weird, I figured IC was the 'hardest' of the three. With poison plus multipliers Silent's easily one of the strongest characters. Weak point, she does not auto heal like IC, so you should collect and build up block and zero cards. Lots of them as there is little to no room for error. If by act 3 your deck is still weak try snecko when offered as it makes high cost cards randomly accessible.

But aye, random relics and card drops can change a run dramatically. You'll have to adapt and fine tune strategy on the fly depending on your drops.

Trying my hand at the fourth character now before asc and she's interesting. Very different from the previous three.
  • Haven’t played with Silent in ages, I wonder if they fixed Accuracy on Switch as it wasn’t doing anything when I last played months and months ago.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!