Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • I’ve been raising up the ascension with ironclad. I can’t fathom doing it without the healing.
  • For those struggling to find their feet with Silent, in addition to the obvious OMG POISON IS THE STRAT, she is really good at damage mitigation, sometimes she's not really about ladelling out fat chunks of damage, but death by a thousand cuts while keeping out of trouble with weak effects and dexterity bonuses and block carrying over between turns.

Things which are nice to have in your Silent deck (if you are new to the game and haven't considered them yet)
    Upgraded Neutrralise
    Upgraded Sucker Punch
    Upgraded Survivor
    Piercing Wail - you almost can't have too many of these in your deck tbh
    Footwork - see piercing wail
    Leg Sweep - see Piercing wail
    Escape plan
    Blur - better if you get it upgraded and/or already have some other dexterity boosting items/cards on the go. 

Bonus shout out to the appirition event, I think silent is the class that benefits from this event the most - both for poison decks and more normal damage decks as she has the additional draw by default to get to these cards more quickly compared to the other classes.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Not getting any poison cards can be rough, but as good as poison is at scaling it isn’t the be all and end all as Face says. Innate/first turn burst potential is high, don’t discount simple things like cloak and dagger/dodge and roll/blur. Silent also has two of the more powerful utility powers in Footworks and Caltrops - you can go far with her if you just have a decent spread of cards that do regular work rather than poison, things like Crippling Cloud and Piercing wail look vaguely bad to a casual eye but jesus are they amazing, especially if you have some kind of holdover. Watch out for shivs though, I find they need too much going on to work well. All in I think she struggles a fair bit.

I went back to this a day or two ago, last played June 2019 so I unticked all my Ascensions, and decided to go through each character one by one for a win.

Got an absurd double (triple?) Limit Break Ironclad deck that only had an Inflame until a late act 3 Flex pickup, but still he’s hardy enough with his post fight regen and feed meant I was a big chonker by act 3. Heavy blade and sword boomerang go brrrrrr.

Silent ended up winning thanks to runic pyramid. Why yes I would like to hold onto my upgraded Wraith Form
    until the bad attack enemy turn, thank you very much!

2 for 2 was fun but then I had a slew of bad Defect runs. In the end a predictable lightning orb generating power deck won, especially as I got mummified hand later one. 3 innate powers on turn one? Aye sure, go for it, make my whole hand free. Rainbow for Zero cost is silly. I find Defect the most boom and bust given what I know about it, but also orbs make brain think hard.

Tired the Watcher for the first time eve too. What an inspired card pool she has! I love the rhythmic back and forth of stances, and Wrath is so fucking satisfying when you pop it on the right turn. My first run was the best, even though I lost, as discovering cars and combos was fun - lots of Flurry of Blows triggered by stance changing, backed up by Cut Through Fate to discard Flurry of Blows just to pull it back. I am having trouble coalescing on a strategy with her though as I am unfamiliar with her deck and also lack the last few unlocks which I suspect will give me the bigger picture.

All in all, fun to be playing again, but I think I am too dumb for ascension runs really. I understand the theory of the game but I struggle to put it into practice.
  • I also thought i was too dumb for the ascensions. I don’t know anything about theory. It’s not too bad - you see something that works because you accidently got something and then chase the best version of that.

When people restart what do the choose?

I used to be a staunch HP boost guy but I’m finding the game easier with a trio of one hp fights. It’s also nicer to have a nucleus deck to start from in zero time.

If I make it to the first boss I usually go for relics or money but I’ve started shying away from card removal. I never go for anything with a curse.

My dream scenario run at the moment is to get the pain card and the one that gives you strength per hp loss. Want to see if that’s viable.
  • I am defo too dumb for ascensions. Been on 4 with IC for a while, although I don’t play anywhere near as much as some of you.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Everyone who wants to improve, if you can, watch some Jorbs runs with a character you are stuck on, will deffo help out.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m crap at explaining stuff to people, but I seem to just feel when a deck is right or not for me. I can kind of feel when I’m on to a winner. Then it’s only my stupid fault for not winning that game. I’m guessing it’s just the amount of time I’ve played you get a feel for the game. Struggling with IC at 18 though. Been a hard slog.

For me first choices are a rare relic, money, or choosing a rare card. A curse is fine too if there’s a shop not far from the start. Some of the easiest runs I ever had involved buying the relic that grants you 5 more cards early

Transforming a card or 2 is often really good too, but occasionally makes life harder.

I cheat the beginning quite often as somehow it doesn’t feel like cheating. If I’m offered a choice of cards I will check to see what they are and quit if I don’t like the options given. This helps increase the chances of starting with hand of greed, which makes for some really fun runs

I wouldn’t ever choose enemies to start with 1 health except with silent
  • Roujin wrote:
    Everyone who wants to improve, if you can, watch some Jorbs runs with a character you are stuck on, will deffo help out.

Aight. Was just thinking about him this morning (that I should watch his stuff). Had couple of shit runs last night and got frustrated.
  • I should learn to abandon runs too of hand is crap by end of Act 1? I was getting lame relics last night!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message

For me first choices are a rare relic, money, or choosing a rare card. A curse is fine too if there’s a shop not far from the start. Some of the easiest runs I ever had involved buying the relic that grants you 5 more cards early

Transforming a card or 2 is often really good too, but occasionally makes life harder.

I cheat the beginning quite often as somehow it doesn’t feel like cheating. If I’m offered a choice of cards I will check to see what they are and quit if I don’t like the options given. This helps increase the chances of starting with hand of greed, which makes for some really fun runs

I can live with curses and with IC and the right relics you will probably want them. I’ve done the 1 health enemies on the higher levels to build a hand quickly and see where my deck is going. I also try to do it to get the first Elite by gambling on ?’s. But I’d only take it if the other options weren’t very good.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I should learn to abandon runs too of hand is crap by end of Act 1? I was getting lame relics last night!

I wouldn’t. I always carry on. If you feel you hand is crap it may be that you just haven’t tried a different combo. Pick a card or two that you aren’t comfortable with. You may spot some surprising synergies. I was terrible for sticking to the same old cards and not fully understanding the potential of expires and card drawer and discarding. All deck manipulation now is so obvious to me, but early doors I was just thinking about attack and block.
  • It’s worth getting to the first boss at least.
  • You're not gonna learn anything by fishing for good runs Elf
  • True, true.  I still don't get how to use discarding and drawing well.  Need to learn to experiment more.  I am stuck in my attack-block ways.  :(
  • I wouldn’t ever choose enemies to start with 1 health except with silent

Interesting...

I check the map if I get offered it and if it's possible to get to two elites with it (obviously ? rooms can fuck you) I will often take it, 2 easy relics and elite fight card picks and potentially bonfires with guaranteed upgrades appeals a lot to me.
  • I did have one run last night where a couple of the routes had no or only one elite.  So I chose the route with 4 elites and not a campfire in sight.  It was... interesting and... challenging!  Managed to actually get to the 4th elite with a few HP.  :)

Man, this game is crack cocaine, even when I'm doing shit.  In fact, it's more addictive when I'm doing shit?
  • I've beaten the game with every character but The Silent... it's getting frustrating. I'm finding it hard to have decent runs if I don't get any poison cards.

She has the most possibilities and the most synergy with relics imo. Taking advantage of her 7 card opening should always a be consideration when choosing. You can use innate very effectively with careful thought.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Roujin wrote:
    Interesting... I check the map if I get offered it and if it's possible to get to two elites with it (obviously ? rooms can fuck you) I will often take it, 2 easy relics and elite fight card picks and potentially bonfires with guaranteed upgrades appeals a lot to me.

I do it if it's even one elite.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Funny.  I just thought I'd get a cheeky few minutes in while 'WFH'.  Chose 1HP for 3 enemies, beat 2 elites.  Got lucky on the ? rooms.
  • YEAH BAYBEE!
  • Facewon wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Interesting... I check the map if I get offered it and if it's possible to get to two elites with it (obviously ? rooms can fuck you) I will often take it, 2 easy relics and elite fight card picks and potentially bonfires with guaranteed upgrades appeals a lot to me.
    I do it if it's even one elite.

It depends really. The tradeoff of not adding cards in those initial easy hallway fights can prove to be a heavy price to pay. I can't imagine a situation where I'd do it with IC or watcher, for example. Then again, my favourite thing about this game is it's hard to think of any vague scenario where a given choice is always the optimum play. There are always exceptional circumstances that warrant a change in tactics, so perhaps my stating that I wouldn't do it with IC or watcher is just a failing of my imagination at this moment.
  • At high ac, I like doing it because I can then be at actual full health for a bit too.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah same here. I think I noticed I was struggling at the first campfire too often with the 8+ max hp. You basically get a free upgrade as well.

I really want to try a searing blow and armaments deck.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Funny.  I just thought I'd get a cheeky few minutes in while 'WFH'.  Chose 1HP for 3 enemies, beat 2 elites.  Got lucky on the ? rooms.

Erm.  So I was playing here and there while 'working'.  Erm.  Easily beat Asc4 with IC.  Had to check that Ascension wasn't turned off as it seemed too easy!  Kept a tight deck with Corruption, strength increasing cards and the heavy damage card (I forget names).  Deca and Donu didn't stand a chance.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Noice
  • Yeah but now I have to work more hours as I didn't get as much work done!  :)
  • Having kind of bounced off this a bit the first time, I found myself downloading it onto the phone last week as I was in the middle of nowhere with not that much to do.  This time round it's clicked - albeit still at a very basic level.  I've reached the heart with Ironclad, Silent and Defect so far, just starting with the Watcher.  There is a definite burst of satisfaction when you feel like you've cracked it. I did my Defect run last night, and met the Unawakened at the end - who had destroyed me on previous runs with the other two. Having been quite dependent on power cards for much of the run to date I thought I'd be pretty much doomed, but decided to embrace it and threw them all in there anyway.  The sheer pleasure of sitting there surround by orbs, waves of lightning crashing into him, whilst my shields quietly ticked upwards was immense.

(I also got the "health boost with bosses and elites" relic early which meant I was considerably happier to wade into battle with the nastier monsters and reap the rewards...)

Still, haven't dared trying any Ascension yet - want to try and get to the top with each first...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Welcome :-)

Now it’s clicked you’ll be hooked.
  • I've had a few more goes of this and it's starting to make a little more sense.  Haven't beaten Act 3 yet but come very close.  Unfortunately my starting deck is still basically punch or block so I don't have a lot of options if things don't go well early on.  Unlocking seems to add new starting cards which can make things a lot easier.  Feels a bit like a forced grind, but of course that's me NOT GETTING IT IT HASN'T CLICKED YET UNLIKELY and you can fuck off with that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!