Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Retain is great. Especially with the one that reduces cost when retained, but wow, it's possible to fuck it hard. 
    Full deck of cards I can't use yet, great!
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I think a lot of them are quite cheap at least? Stuff like Sands of Time can be annoying to shift, but the cards you create are cheap and they exhaust. Possibly too slow later in the game, but has been what my deck falls into quite quickly as retain and eruption combos make mincemeat out of Act 1 elites so far.
  • Someone here pointed out that the watcher is the best for getting certain achievements.

I used watcher for my five card run (one of them was a curse!)
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think a lot of them are quite cheap at least? Stuff like Sands of Time can be annoying to shift, but the cards you create are cheap and they exhaust. Possibly too slow later in the game, but has been what my deck falls into quite quickly as retain and eruption combos make mincemeat out of Act 1 elites so far.

Oh for sure, but sometimes I've managed to generate more than I can use. This game always proves that it's possible to have too much of a good thing.
  • Used Corruption for the first time today to get a win on Asc3 with IC. Combined it with strange spoon and snecko with a few Str buff cards and it worked a treat.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Corruption is one of my favourite cards. See if you can get Dead Branch. What a lovely combo. Especially with the powers that add block for each exhausted card and that give you card draw for each exhausted card. It can get silly good :-)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just had the sweetest Dead Branch plus Corruption combo ever. I was playing on PC so only Asc12 and wasn’t even expecting it, but got Corruption early on and was then saving my monies for dead branch only to get it from an Elite halfway up Act 2.

From the on it was grab block cards, especially shrug it off. Got luck at the end of Act 2 picking up Barricade to make the perfect combo plus turnip and I was in block heaven. Not masses of strength but enough. Picking up bottled tornado was icing on the cake. Dropped Corruption into that and nearly every game hit perfectly.

Couple of Feel No Pains just in case and I was pretty much unstoppable. Poor Awakened One didn’t know what hit him.

7-BF9-D0-A7-90-E4-4-D6-E-A613-E6-D4-BD6-CC7-B8.jpg
  • I’ve had a few bad Asc6 runs but currently on my way to Time Eater with Dead branch and lots of strength building cards. Have a few exhaust/draw with extra energy type cards too. Fingers crossed I don’t fuck this up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just started a Silent run on Asc2 and picked lost all gold in exchange for a rare relic. Got dead branch for the first time ever. Holy shit is it fun! My entire deck picks since then have been cards that exhaust.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Nice. As you can imagine, with ic's corruption it's almost game breaking.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I’ve had a few bad Asc6 runs but currently on my way to Time Eater with Dead branch and lots of strength building cards. Have a few exhaust/draw with extra energy type cards too. Fingers crossed I don’t fuck this up.

How did it go?
  • Anyone else saying dead branch differently from how they would in real life? Really don’t know why
  • The emphasis is different. I don’t have the knowledge of phonetics to explain how/why. Def saying it in a shorter space of time than I normally would when referring to an actual dead branch

Maybe it’s just me then
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don’t really say it out loud so can’t say I’ve noticed :-)
  • Asc 7 with all characters now. Watcher is my main stumbling block, took me 7 runs to over the last two days to win. Time Eater got me twice, but on my third go against it, I one thanks to Expunger, and Ice Cream meaning I had a 9x Expunger.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I’ve had a few bad Asc6 runs but currently on my way to Time Eater with Dead branch and lots of strength building cards. Have a few exhaust/draw with extra energy type cards too. Fingers crossed I don’t fuck this up.
    How did it go?

Aw man. Time Eater fucked me. Or at least I fucked up one of my turns anyway. That 12 card timer was a bummer. So close.
  • I'm chipping away ascensions.
    Nowhere near the level of some of you but just done IC Asc2. I got silent up to 5 last week.

I generally whack this on with some podcasts to chill.
  • Just beat acension 11 with IC. Used the relic that gives you strength every turn with double tap, whirlwind and heavy blow. Fun.
  • As always I'm not as experienced on this as some of you guys.
    Something I have noticed though.
    Act 2 base enemy encounters are harder than act 1 or 3. Act 1 are generally quite simple, act 3 can be complex but if you cant beat them it is generally because act 1 and 2 havent gone well.
  • Yeah they suuuck, especially the plant and the orb. Really demanding fights. Ok the flip side the question marks are generally better than act one.
  • I think at the beginning of act 3 is basically the point where you should have basically completed your deck so you should be firing on all cylinders. Act 2 feels hard to me because I think for the most part you’re still lumbered by crap stuff but the difficulty goes up a notch or two.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The bloody plant!

Orb guy I don’t find as bad, but you get the wrong card draw and he frustratingly takes more health than you’d like. Usually as you are heading into an Elite fight.
  • Upgraded birds can fucking do one.

Act 2 basically throws counters to everything you might have set up, so if your deck is too one trick you're in trouble.

Big hit expensive cards, birds take half damage. (and with all their pissy hits, zap a lot of first damage bonuses.)

Lots of zero cost. Snecko gives you random with no extra card draw.

Not good scaling damage, orb.

Skill heavy, have the chick who gives you blues.

The elites are right fucks too.

• LivDiv wrote:
    As always I'm not as experienced on this as some of you guys.
    Something I have noticed though.
    Act 2 base enemy encounters are harder than act 1 or 3. Act 1 are generally quite simple, act 3 can be complex but if you cant beat them it is generally because act 1 and 2 havent gone well.

Yes. If I get through the first two or three enemies in act 2 I usually get quite far but i iften get stomped by those two or three enemies.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    How did it go?
    Aw man. Time Eater fucked me. Or at least I fucked up one of my turns anyway. That 12 card timer was a bummer. So close.

Got Time Eater again and no mistake this time. Annihilated him with a strength based deck. Onwards and upwards to Asc7 with IC. I really should play the others too but wanna see how far I can get with IC before hitting a solid brick wall.
  • i've played this a couple of times in the last week, and quite enjoyed it. however i have almost no idea what any of you are talking about. ;) never been interested in these kind of card games, but this seems nicely streamlined and simple enough to grasp...a nice chill game to just pass a bit of a time.

managed to get to the boss at end of stage 3 in my last go...thought i'd killed the bugger then it respawned with 300 health and that was the end of that.

I'm guessing that maybe (one of) the noob mistake i'm making is keep collecting as many cards as possible (cos i just assumed new cards would generally be better than what you start with)...is the better option to focus more on upgrading cards than having a larger deck?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Sort of. Received wisdom is that smaller decks are better but I find I tend to comfortably manage between 25 and 35 cards most runs. Removing basic strikes and defends is probably more important than upgrades as most other cards do what they do but better - why would you want to draw Strike when you could draw Twin Strike for example, why draw block when you could draw Armaments or Shrug It Off?

Upgrading is complicated because some upgrades are better than others. Events and card rewards aside you’re only upgrading maybe 6-8 times a run depending on the path you take, and that’s if you don’t need to rest.

Learning what cards are good and going after elites for relics, making good use of potions in fights, knowing how to spend your gold are all very important. As a rule of thumb in Act one you want to take as many hallways fights as you can, and in act two you might want to avoid them for question marks as the rewards are generally better and the fights tougher.

Truthfully there’s no real answer to almost any question in the game which is what makes it interesting. You can win with a 5 card deck, you can win with a 40 card deck, it all depends on the cards, the relics and the potions you have.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Welcome and enjoy the ride. You are currently in the second phases where you may have gone from not understanding the fuss to thinking there’s something here. Once you get that last boss down is when the addiction starts!

I know a lot of people on here talk about being careful and sculpting your deck and it can be a good tactic, but I’d suggest you don’t yet know enough about the myriad card and relic synergies to know what works with what so I’d actually suggest just take stuff that you haven’t tried and try it out.

A lot of my decks are still not exactly small but I get winning runs from them because I know what cards work with what. But that just comes from practice.

Tl;dr - learn as much as you can and there are no set rules.

Also someone with a better understanding of “how” they play will jump in and give you a better answer ;-)

Edit - nicely timed young @Tempy :-)
  • The only thing i’d recommended really avoiding this early on is the idea of deck archetypes. Something like Silent is a good example. People always bang on about “poison decks” without really explaining what it means.

Thoughtlessly picking all the poison cards you’re offered and crossing your fingers for Noxious Fumes/Corpse Explosion or Lizard’s Skull is gonna get you a win eventually, but you’re more likely to win if you stop thinking about it as an archetype you build towards and start thinking of it as a tool you have access too. One Poisoned Stab is enough damage to make it more attractive than a lot of other cards you might get offered early on, and there’s no reason to pick up the Poison Skill card over Footworks or Caltrops if you’ve already got some poison damage because you’re going to need block sustain and scaling damage to make the bigger fights winnable. When you start to treat all the cards you can get as cards that can do the things they say on them, rather than pieces of a pre-solved puzzle you get a lot more mileage out of stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!