Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Your deck always starts the same. The unlocks mean they may be offered up as rewards or in shops etc.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I've had a few more goes of this and it's starting to make a little more sense.  Haven't beaten Act 3 yet but come very close.  Unfortunately my starting deck is still basically punch or block so I don't have a lot of options if things don't go well early on.  Unlocking seems to add new starting cards which can make things a lot easier.  Feels a bit like a forced grind, but of course that's me NOT GETTING IT IT HASN'T CLICKED YET UNLIKELY and you can fuck off with that.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Your deck always starts the same. The unlocks mean they may be offered up as rewards or in shops etc.

Yeah, I confess that the initial opening with the same old same old (unless you get something from the whale) was one of the things that initially put me off, and I still kind of yearn for the ability to just skip the first few battles.  However I'm less irritated by it now, and regard it as a nice warm up - I appreciate that the gradual drip feed of Better Stuff as you climb is what then allows you to figure out an on the hoof strategy on the way up. (Though I'll be honest and say that half the time the magnificent synergies between cards are pure luck on my part.)

The other thing I've realised playing this is that I am now terrible at learning. There are so many things that I really should be retaining yet fail to, and even more that there's essentially basic stuff that I've only just noticed. (Yesterday was the first time I realised that (a) you can get rid of curses at the shop and (b) the little picture at the top tells you who the boss will be.)  Like I say, I'm shockingly slow on the uptake these days...
  • If you choose the 1hp baddies you can effectively do the “skip a few battles”
  • Reached the slug boss with the silent again and he killed me again. I think I did a bit better this time, but I just didn't have enough defense. I think I would have stood a chance against any of the other act 3 bosses.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah I’d say for beginners he’s the toughest. Seems the most intimidating because of how he forces you to reconsider your strategy, with card drawer and number of cards played being vital.

My advice would be to check if you have him as soon as you enter floor 3 and if you do, try to avoid 0 cost cards and, if possible, look for good scaling damage. The issue you still have is his mid level regen also wipes out stuff like poison so you need to then find a way to get that back quickly if you can’t kill him outright with it.
  • There’s a slug boss?! Maybe I haven’t met it in a while, but I only recall Deca/Donu, Awakened One, and Timekeeper-type dude. 

Completed a run with IC on ipad last night, only my second run. Getting back into it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Wait, it’s Time Eater and he is a slug. Haven’t met him in aaaaages so forget what he looked like. 

I found him the easiest at first. He was the only one I could beat the first few times I completed runs!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    With Silent?
  • Silent was the last one I completed a run with so by that time maybe it wasn’t Time Eater. I think I popped my Silent cherry on Donu.
  • Ah yes. Deffo DecaDonu with Silent. I remember the poison bomb thing with one killing the other?
  • Ooh. Just got an achievement for defeating a boss without taking damage. Maybe this is starting to click after all.
  • Which one? I find Act 1 slime boss quite easy to do that on.
  • Oh fuck off, buzzkill.
  • Bit harsh. Sorry, didn’t mean to sound that way.
  • Just did Asc2 with Silent, after many, many tries. Took the advice of lots of block cards supplemented with poison and some patience. Didn't take a single point of damage in The Beyond and owned Time Slug.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Good work in this thread Spire Team 6.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Looked at my stats: 76 wins, yay! 1250 deaths, oh!

Made it to final boss again on ac20 with IC. It's tough going.

Thinking I might drop back to ac1 and do some heart runs for a change.

I'm ac15 plus on all chars, so there's no easy runs.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah 20 is too punishing to just grind at that. I went back and did some achievements to break things up.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • FFS I thought I had done another Asc level with IC, turns out I had it unticked. I think I briefly saw it unticked as I started but was still getting excited as I was kicking arse. Never mind.
  • Went through doing some runs today, had the most absurd Silent run I've ever had

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/104544154733785088/749403088883941506/SPOILER_20200829223321_1.jpg" />

SPOILER_20200829225834_1.jpg

Turns out Dead Branch shive is good?

SPOILER_20200829235839_1.jpg
  • That looks very fun.
  • Dead branch with any consistent exhaust is pretty well amaze balls imo. Snecko tier.

Rare you can get it, but dB, corruption, and sneck is close to guaranteed win. (at low AC, obv. At ac10 or above, is anything guaranteed?)
  • I love how this game trolls sometimes.

Chose transform a card with ic at the whale. Got limit break.

Didn't get a chance at gaining any strength buff, bar one potion, until mid second act.

Still managed to make it to mid act 3. Because I did get the relic that adds plus 3 to any card with strike in it. Landed 2 perfected strikes and managed to add some others. Didn't have a consistent way to get block or cars draw though, so it was uphill all the way through.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That is some serious relic run there @Tempy

Getting dead branch early is great, assumed you then had loads of shivs? Bloody hell you also got Kunai AND Shuriken! What a combo. And turnip.

:-)
  • I used Snecko Eye for first time recently. Hated it. Not sure how to use it effectively. I mean it most of the time increased card costs so I couldn’t do much at all each turn.
  • You need lots of expensive cards
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s a tricky one. You can try to get a load of 2/3 cost cards but not use them effectively on the first act. Then if you don’t get Snecko it was possibly a waste. But when you get that combo it actually works out really well. I was like you thought it was crap then I have won massively with it.
  • Hmmm. I’ll see if it offered up again maybe when I have 2+ cost cards. I mean, I was annoyed that on more than one occasion every card in my hand was a assigned 3 energy cost and I was like WTF how is this supposed to be a good thing. Maybe I got unlucky?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!