Tempy's Mistake and then stuff about Censorship
  • That particular thing works only in the context of the event, otherwise it is just a harrowing and grim video of a man shooting himself. The key thing to remember is that it was aired on news, live. And then repeated. And then repeated again, but cut. So there is stuff to be learned from it, and its aftermath.
  • My final few lines were from the whole subject in general, im just fucking gutted about watching someone actually shoot themself
  • It was years ago that I saw it after it was brought up in a conversation at college about censorship and I've no desire to see it again either : /
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It could be argued that without some level of explicitness all we get is sanitised news with no real impact and no sense of the horror of much of what goes on. We might have stronger opinions about conflict etc if we saw the real result of it rather than just some bombed out buildings and some statistics.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It could also be argued that explicitness could easily be used to manipulate political sentiment, I suppose.
  • Kow wrote:
    It could also be argued that explicitness could easily be used to manipulate political sentiment, I suppose.

Propaganda is more difficult to manage when people have access to more than one news source.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How many people bother with multiple sources, I wonder? Most news channels get their information from the same few sources anyway.
  • In regards to most war footage, is it not the case that it is all filtered through the military anyway to avoid intelligence leaks?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You can't trust nobody no mo.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    In regards to most war footage, is it not the case that it is all filtered through the military anyway to avoid intelligence leaks?

Most of the regular stuff is I'd say but you do tend to get amateur footage recorded on phones and so forth, these days too.
  • I'm not sure explicitness is required in order to make an impact - indeed often what you imagine of an event can be worse than the reality.  For me there are two problems with explicit images.  The first is that they can, quite quickly, become mundane, and lose the very impact you're aiming to achieve.

The second is that they're misdirection. There are many things I've witnessed along the way that I would like to have never experienced - but it is the experience, not the visuals, that was horrific and stays with me.  Looking at some horrible pictures, or watching a video, might turn the stomach, but in reality doesn't even begin to convey the actual horror of the situation.  What you should be shocked by is not what it looks like - but what has happened.  You don't need to see someone shot, to know that killing someone isn't a terribly nice thing to do.  For me it's much more distressing to imagine it happening to someone you care about, then it is to actually see it happen to someone you don't know at all.  Witnessing such events without that emotional context, to me, robs them of their power.
  • i agree with all that completely
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think real horror ever becomes mundane. The images of the concentration camps are no less shocking 70 years later or having seen them numerous times. I would also argue that the nazis would not be so much the object of popular revulsion in this day and age if it hadn't been for those images.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched Inheritance yesterday, which showed the hanging (along with the first two failed attempts) of Amon Goeth.  I didn't really mind that as the son of a bitch had it coming.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow wrote:
    I don't think real horror ever becomes mundane. The images of the concentration camps are no less shocking 70 years later or having seen them numerous times. I would also argue that the nazis would not be so much the object of popular revulsion in this day and age if it hadn't been for those images.
    I'm not sure. Reading or hearing about the details of these things can be just as harrowing. With the Nazis the most horrendous thing for me is how organised the whole thing was. For all the genocides in history, there's something about the cold, almost scientific, rationalism behind the Holocaust that makes it stand out. There's that film, Conspiracy, where a bunch of high ranking Nazis gather in some big mansion during the war to discuss the 'Jewish problem' and come up with the 'final solution'. It's not as gruesome as any film showing the concentration camps, but in other ways the discussions are just as disturbing.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @Jon: The Nazi scourge is rather unique in that way though.  They dehumanized their target as effectively as is likely possible.  The violence I see through various sources in the present day has that unhinged element, like the perpetrators are themselves damaged somehow.  Syria looks like that to me (which is not to say the attacks are not calculated).  Not sure what the point I'm making is, if I'm making one.  Perhaps it's that using Auschwitz et al as the benchmark for such things is not that useful (and again, not suggesting that's your contention).
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Speaking of censorship, about fucking time.  Now for the states.  Vics should be right.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    I'm not sure. Reading or hearing about the details of these things can be just as harrowing. With the Nazis the most horrendous thing for me is how organised the whole thing was. For all the genocides in history, there's something about the cold, almost scientific, rationalism behind the Holocaust that makes it stand out. There's that film, Conspiracy, where a bunch of high ranking Nazis gather in some big mansion during the war to discuss the 'Jewish problem' and come up with the 'final solution'. It's not as gruesome as any film showing the concentration camps, but in other ways the discussions are just as disturbing.

I'd agree with that but I meant more that the concept of the cruelty of the nazis for a great many people comes from the imagery rather than any reading of history. Whatever about the concept of the genocide, it's those pictures that bring the whole thing closer to reality.

• A similar situation, yet on a scale 3x that of the extermination of the Jews, occurred in Russia. Again it was systematic but unfortunately does not have the weight of publicity behind it. The effect? Maybe the world reviles Nazis more than communist butchers? Showing harrowing images does lend credence and support for whatever it is you wish to draw attention.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!