Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Sorry to hear that. Webhelp seem to have Sky, Boots, Vodafone and EE among others as clients. They seem to be employing Customer Experience Engineers.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I used to work for Webhelp about 10 years ago or so.  Company was fine.  Hated the fucking job, though.  By the end of it I was sitting in my car in the car park with tears running down my face at the thought of going in.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I used to work for Webhelp about 10 years ago or so.  Company was fine.  Hated the fucking job, though.  By the end of it I was sitting in my car in the car park with tears running down my face at the thought of going in.

Fuck, that's bad. I've never been pushed that far and I was a secondary school teacher.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I used to work for Webhelp about 10 years ago or so.  Company was fine.  Hated the fucking job, though.  By the end of it I was sitting in my car in the car park with tears running down my face at the thought of going in.

Fuck, that's bad. I've never been pushed that far and I was a secondary school teacher.

I was pushed that far not long ago and lead to a MH issue and three months signed off.
    It’s when you know that a job might not be for you
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'd put it down to how much it balances with the highs the job gives (outside of the obvious 'everyone is different' ) I have some really hard days and weeks in my job but I also get some great victories when the team achieves something. If your job only feels like a downer than those really hard days become a lot tougher to deal with.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Had the script today, so we'll be going through something called TUPE, to transfer our employment to Webhelp, which freezes things for a year, but by the sounds of it after that they can do what the fuck they want.

I suppose though that since my pay is going to be overtaken by minimum wage in April, then at least they can't cut that.
  • TUPE is bollocks. There's a very high probability that as soon as the TUPE period is over, you'll be instantly redundant. So if it only guarantees you a year under the terms of the agreement, then you should absolutely be looking for a new job during that year.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've already applied for another job that's remaining in Dixons.
  • Aye, seriously though, don't rest on your laurels because time fucking flies. I know a lot of people who have been TUPE'd over the years and every single on of them was made redundant as soon as the TUPE period was up. To put a positive spin on it, at least it buys you some time.
  • Yeh agree with g.man TUPE is shite.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've been TUPE'd twice and it wasn't all terrible, but it's about your union reps to make sure that whatever benefits you have are protected, they will likely transfer into other benefits, but need to be sure you aren't getting shafted. Like say you currently get David Lloyd membership, and they say well PureGym will do

Changes aren't often pleasant though and given Matt's experience above try to get as far as fuck away as quickly as possible
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I got paid. I'm not dirt, dirt poor anymore. 

Today was a good day.
  • Yay!
  • g.man wrote:
    Yay!

:D

Seriously, though, those who say money can't buy happiness...

I'd rather be rich and single than poor and anything else. Nothing in my life brought me as much worry and suffering as worrying about whether I could pay for a roof over my head or buy, you know, food. 

Today lifted the biggest weight.
  • Being single is a weird one. I think I’d take being poorer to stay with my partner. (Caveat: I could probably take more of a hit than most though so it’s not simply a I would do anything for love etc etc)
  • Glad to hear you’re feeling good today, I agree that money does bring happiness in that it brings security for the essentials such as a place to live.

I’m back at work after 3 months off for stress and depression and really unhappy. I’ve made my mind up that the job really isn’t right for me and it’s making me really unhappy.
    So I’ve been applying for other work just in case and my old company (who I really enjoyed working for and treated me really well for 7 years) are advertising the management role I wanted ages ago in one of their biggest centres.
    I’ve applied, passed vetting and interview and they want to see me for a final interview stage on Friday.
    If they offer me the job and they can match my salary requirements then I’m going to take it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Good luck mate!
  • Had the script today, so we'll be going through something called TUPE, to transfer our employment to Webhelp, which freezes things for a year, but by the sounds of it after that they can do what the fuck they want.

I suppose though that since my pay is going to be overtaken by minimum wage in April, then at least they can't cut that.

When our IT department got outsourced the first thing the new organisation did was set impossible performance targets so that people either quit or were able to be bullied out. I believe one person fought back and got a massive settlement thanks to the union and contract law.
  • Yeah, thinking more about it, I reckon they'll just look at the headcount here and just say fuck it, combine it all to Sheffield.
  • g.man wrote:
    Yay!

:D

Seriously, though, those who say money can't buy happiness...

I'd rather be rich and single than poor and anything else. Nothing in my life brought me as much worry and suffering as worrying about whether I could pay for a roof over my head or buy, you know, food. 

Today lifted the biggest weight.

I know what you mean, but at least when I was out of work I wasn't alone and that at least kept a roof over my head.

You're right that people who say money can't buy happiness have never really been poor.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Being single is a weird one. I think I’d take being poorer to stay with my partner. (Caveat: I could probably take more of a hit than most though so it’s not simply a I would do anything for love etc etc)

Weird one for me, but then as a terminally single man, it would be. I generally avoid dating when I'm not working and define myself a little too much by my job, which is pretty unhealthy, and probably creates a bit of an ever decreasing circle

Well done cinty, glad you're in work, it's quite the load off your mind when things start coming together

Sorry wookie, but good luck with the interview, you gave that "dream job" a go which is more than many are able to do, so bloody well done to you for chasing it. But health and happiness need to come first so fingers crossed for you
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Being single is a weird one. I think I’d take being poorer to stay with my partner. (Caveat: I could probably take more of a hit than most though so it’s not simply a I would do anything for love etc etc)

Yeah, I didn't specifically mention single as, you know, I'm married, and I love my wife. I wouldn't give her up for anything.

But, I've been broken hearted, and broken hearts. And nothing in that time compared to the utter fear and oppression of worrying about day-to-day survival.

For reference, before I got paid I had about £3 total in my bank account. A month ago I had just over £100. It has been a day-by-day dwindling of my capability to survive, and this was AFTER I borrowed about £1,200 in order to make rent and survive several months back. 

My wife has kept me strong, but her love can't stop me skipping 2 meals a day for weeks and months. That's just reality.
  • g.man wrote:
    Yay!
    :D Seriously, though, those who say money can't buy happiness... I'd rather be rich and single than poor and anything else. Nothing in my life brought me as much worry and suffering as worrying about whether I could pay for a roof over my head or buy, you know, food.  Today lifted the biggest weight.
    I know what you mean, but at least when I was out of work I wasn't alone and that at least kept a roof over my head. You're right that people who say money can't buy happiness have never really been poor.

Aye. Being truly poor has been the most brutal experience of my life. Fuck that.
  • None of that is supposed to be a downer, sorry. I have money now, seemingly enough for the foreseeable future and assuming there’s no more visa hitches...I might be safe. So yeah, I’m happy today.
  • Blow it all on hookers and fireworks. Live a little.
  • Fireworks are banned now in big cities. Guess I’m just gonna have to settle for Asian hookers. FML.
  • Fireworks are banned in China. What the fuck.
  • Fireworks are banned in China. What the fuck.

I know, right? Times change.
  • Not everywhere in China. You have to travel to an out of town hooker for fireworks now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Money is a funny old thing. There are the enlightened people who most of us think we are, who, provided they have enough to not have to worry about accomodation, food, heat, clothes and generally getting about and being able to pursue interests at a reasonable level then anything else is a bonus.

Sadly our propensity to equate further happiness with more stuff (meaning more money to get) pollutes that. A lot of my stuff makes me happy - my videogame , film and book collections do. But would I be significantly less happy if I didn't have them? I like to think I don't think so.

If came to choosing between stuff and Wifey, Wifey wins every time.

I have certainly passed the point at which I want a lot more money and stuff. Our home is more than good enough for our needs. The daughters seems to be on a good path to being independant. Retro games and the odd bottle of single malt are the most expensive thing I have a taste for. I'd like my job to be more interesting and I'd like Wifey to be able to travel more as she loves that. But we can achieve that with our current income.

The trick will be negotiating the next 10 years which is my path to retirement and ensuring we have an enjoyable standard of living.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!