Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Props to cinty and solidarity to my man Dante.

Yesterday I was off work and browsing twitter aimlessly when I saw the retail arm of Rangers post that they needed a supervisor in the Glasgow store. Thought fuck it and sent my CV across.

Been asked for an interview Sunday. Holy fuck I'm buzzing. Literal dream (retail) job.
  • Props to cinty and solidarity to my man Dante.

Yesterday I was off work and browsing twitter aimlessly when I saw the retail arm of Rangers post that they needed a supervisor in the Glasgow store. Thought fuck it and sent my CV across.

Been asked for an interview Sunday. Holy fuck I'm buzzing. Literal dream (retail) job.

Good luck, gav.
  • davyK wrote:
    Money is a funny old thing. There are the enlightened people who most of us think we are, who, provided they have enough to not have to worry about accomodation, food, heat, clothes and generally getting about and being able to pursue interests at a reasonable level then anything else is a bonus.

Sadly our propensity to equate further happiness with more stuff (meaning more money to get) pollutes that. A lot of my stuff makes me happy - my videogame , film and book collections do. But would I be significantly less happy if I didn't have them? I like to think I don't think so.

If came to choosing between stuff and Wifey, Wifey wins every time.

I have certainly passed the point at which I want a lot more money and stuff. Our home is more than good enough for our needs. The daughters seems to be on a good path to being independant. Retro games and the odd bottle of single malt are the most expensive thing I have a taste for. I'd like my job to be more interesting and I'd like Wifey to be able to travel more as she loves that. But we can achieve that with our current income.

The trick will be negotiating the next 10 years which is my path to retirement and ensuring we have an enjoyable standard of living.

Yeah, it’s all relative. I’m in a different place but...this is a great post.
  • Great stuff Gav. Turn up in a Rangers shirt, but with a tie.

No, fuck it. Full kit wanker.
  • Turn up in a hedge.
  • Full kit wanker or nothing.
  • Club suit or bust.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Club suit or bust.

The staunchest.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yesss Gav, who knows maybe next month we're both working for the clubs we love (no, not Stringfellows)
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Exciting - just sorted flights for my first work trip abroad. I've got friends who do this sort of thing all the time but it's a bit of a novelty for me (and it's probably not going to be repeated any time soon). Also been told that restaurant bills can go on expenses...
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • What about Asian hookers and fireworks?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Asians don't do fireworks anymore, after inventing them they left us savages in the dog scaring dark ages and have moved on to drones

I use a different video site for the hookers though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The Asian hooker I get round every Christmas is great. Knows tons about rugby.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I used to do a reasonable amount of travel for work. Usually same day - 6am flight with 7pm return.

Staying over a few nights happened less often.

The odd time it can be fun. Once it becomes regular it becomes a royal pain in the hole.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Turn up in a hedge.
    hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK wrote:
    I used to do a reasonable amount of travel for work. Usually same day - 6am flight with 7pm return.

Staying over a few nights happened less often dear.

The odd time it can be fun. Once it becomes regular it becomes a royal pain in the hole.

I get that it can be a pain. Got lucky that it's only 2 nights and doesn't mess up the childminder schedule. But I'm also one of those wierdos who quite likes travelling alone.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • That sounds great. I love travelling on my own, it’s such a treat when it happens
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That sounds great. I love travelling on my own, it’s such a treat when it happens

Oh god yes. A quiet train carriage with a big table to myself, my kindle and laptop all ready to go... Heaven.

SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Obviously New Year is a time for reflection and I've been thinking back on my first year and a bit of my current job. Unfortunately I've ended up coming to the conclusion that I'm being low-key bullied by my boss, who is the general manager of the company. There's a long pattern of her undermining me in my role which she clearly decided to kick off before I rejoined the company (I previously worked there till 2016 but left as the previous management team were pissing me about - I only really came back as they had all cleared out). Unfortunately company decided to save up a big manual handling task for me to do upon starting which was completely inappropriate for many reasons not least of which is I signed up to be a legal compliance manager! I ended up with a back injury which has spiraled and I've ended up dealing with sciatica for the last 4-5 months. I am considering legal action and am obviously very disappointed and annoyed that being pissed about at work has turned into a chronic injury/pain. She has also recently engaged in behaviour that is a clear violation of my employment contract, transferring tasks from my job description to someone else without even discussing it with me.

I'm unsure whether to discuss with her that I feel this has moved into 'the B word' territory. I wouldn't describe her as a genuinely horrible person - I think she intended to pull a bit of a garden variety bait-and-switch on me with the role and hasn't really taken stock of the fact her behaviour has gone to a bit of a dark place. Obviously I have no intention to stay and am gonna start job hunting but feel a bit worried if something happens in the meantime I might lose my patience and just hand my notice in.

Sorry this isn't terribly coherent, I just needed to vent a bit.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Congratulations you've been 'managed out'. 
    And it worked. You are looking for another job.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • But I'm also one of those wierdos who quite likes travelling alone.

Me too, but I rarely get to go alone.

I’m away three days next week and either two or three the week after, but I’ll have colleagues along for the ride. I’d quite like the train/plane time to read, but with colleagues it always becomes basically a travelling meeting that drags on for hours.
  • The more I think of it, I'm gonna go for the gers job if things line up OK and I get offered it. I've invested two prime years into this mob, and they've invested fuck all back, and still can't tell me what their plan is with me. A long standing full timer left a fortnight ago, got his dream job doing something with his degree, just had a kid, so chuffed for him btw. But instead of offering me his place on the rota, or his permanent contract, they've advertised for another porter, starting on my terms. Instead of getting their own house in order, they just chase a pair of hands.

If I get offered it I'll at least hold off on an answer so I can grill my current bosses with what the plan is. But if they can't put their cards on the table, I'm gone. That's fair, right?
  • Honestly, I think I'd just take the Gers job.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Do it, absolutely do it. I've just had a really god interview with a housing association here in London. felt great the guys interviewing seemed switched on, and it seemed like I'd have a lot to offer them. However I'm definitely spending the next two weeks putting together a small app purely to support my application to Bournemouth. Even if we get relegated and I get made redundant, why the hell not, it's a few months being a part of my team. A weird way to fulfil the dreams that my feet couldn't when I was 15 years old
  • 100% go for it, both of you.

A few years ago I took a shot at getting into Formula One, applying for a job as in-house designer for Caterham F1. They were never my team, but they were a team. In the end I didn’t get the gig (my requested salary was too high and I lacked sector-specific experience), but I did get to visit their HQ, learn about them from the inside, tour the facilities, talk to the engineers, and generally get a ton of insight I would never otherwise have managed. It was better than a day at Disneyland, y’know?
  • Now granted, it is the St Enoch Sq store and I won't be near the stadium but (and this is me absolutely daydreaming, I mean who wouldn't?) Rangers are still in a legal battle with Ashley over retail, branding and merchandise etc. And this store is ran by a seperate agreement. I don't know the full ins and outs but I do know it won't last forever, and if/when that cunt is outta there, Rangers are gonna go for it. They've massive untapped potential, worldwide, from a merchandise POV. What if I smash it and they want to open a store in Dubai? America? What if I smash it and a suit job opens up at the stadium? Its a foot in the door. It feels like an opportune time.
  • Smash its back doors in.
  • So I’ve just left a second stage job interview for the role of gym manager at my old company, this time at the biggest site in the country.
    They asked for a brief 10 minute presentation on new ideas for generating profit within the company and then grilled me on it for the next 45.
    I absolutely fucking smashed it. They loved it and had so many great things to say about it.

The only problem is the salary isn’t quite what I need and when they told me this and asked if I’d accept it I calmly replied with “no, I’m sorry but I’ve worked in this industry for 15 years, 7 of which were working for this company. I worked tirelessly to earn as many qualifications as I can and waited patiently for an opportunity to take this role. After 7 years the chance to progress had yet to come up so I went seeking experience elsewhere. In that time I’ve been regional manager for a coaching company, manager for a martial arts club, manager of a training department and worked front line response to earn the skills I need to perform this role.
    I’m 34, more experienced than most who go for this role and have a family who rely on me to provide for them. I can bring plenty of ideas which you yourself have just said are innovative and have tonnes of potential for rapid growth.

I know what I’m worth and will not accept anything less than that. I’m sorry but if we can’t negotiate on the salary then I am afraid I’ll have to say goodbye.”

I know they can pay it, they have paid it to others in the past and they have already told me in a previous interview that if the right person came along they can find the extra if they need to.

So the balls in their court. Let’s see what happens

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • To be honest, unless there is a similar candidate who doesn't know their worth, they'd be mad to turn you down.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!