The Write Stuff - NKOTB tribute thread
  • That's your heart when I pull it out for being an unbeliever.
  • Just knocked your rating down by a further star, you scallywag.
  • YOU SWINE.

122 copies downloaded. I dare say far fewer have even gone as far as opening the file, but what can you do? 

Looking forward to half term, getting a bit of a breather, and actually being able to find he energy to do some writing about monsters or something.
  • Huge thanks to Stoph for giving a nice review. Too kind.

Story ended up being download 199 times. 7 sales in total, which is far better than I expected to be honest. I've actually had a writing binge today and managed to put down 4,800 word short story (about monsters woo). Blimey! Far greater than my usual writing output. I'm actually really quite happy with the first 3/4, though I fear I've rushed the end and not made it as satisfactory as I would like. If anyone is interested in a read to help a tiger out, a PM or post on here would be welcomed. <3

Hope some of you are finding the time and energy to write as well. Hugely enjoyable when you're in the mood.  :)
  • I'm pretty sure you've got my email so you can always feel free to sling me stuff, just don't be offended if I don't have the time to read it due to uni.
  • Tiger, feel free to PM me anything you want someone to give the once-over to.

Do think all badgers should give your Amazon story a go. An enjoyable 15 minute read worthy of anyone's time.
  • Very kind, guys. 

I'll ping an e-mail to you both. Trying to iron out the ending, and I'm not sure what I'm trying to do is working at all, but thoughts would be useful.
  • NANOWRIMO STARTS TOMORROW.

Can I do it? Do I have the mental strength and fortitude and balls of steel required? Let's find out.
  • @tiger. Just read your mothgate story; very nice work indeed!
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Oh, thank you. Very kind. Glad you enjoyed it. :)
    Just deleted the link in a fit of self hatred, hah. You've cheered me up no end.
  • Yeah I wondered about that! Stick it back up! @otherbadgers - defo well worth a read- imagine a mash up of the spook's apprentice and the movie primer, that's also an obvious allegory for the 90s east/west coast rap feud...well, everything but that last thing.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • It's here.

Again, very kind. Just had a rather unpleasant experience on a writing forum - Absolute Write, won't be going back there again - so that's just the pick me up I needed.

Cover by our own inimitable HEAVOODOOOO.
  • THIS IS THE YEAR I FINISH *THE NOVEL*.

WHO IS WITH ME?
  • ME!

THIS IS THE YEAR I GET SOMETHING PUBLISHED.
  • Something I've been writing over the last two evenings. Might have some inconsistencies. Not quite finished, sitting at just under 1500 words. Thoughts would be lovely, if anyone has the inclination. x

Spoiler:
  • Added an ending. Bit shit. Don't really know where to go with it. I hate this part.
    Spoiler:
  • Very good, tiger. Great imagery and leaves me wanting to know more of the world and these characters, and what they plan to do with Ebur.
  • Yeah, I liked it.  I'm afraid I agree the ending needs a little bit of tweaking (unless it's the beginning of something more).  I think it's maybe that Dao's fate doesn't seem quite explicit enough (in so much as I understand what's happened to them both, and I can imagine the uncomprehending horror of it for Dao, but I don't quite feel it.)

Only other comments are tiny things - you describe the pile as containing little of consequence, then go on to describe the larger mammal as if it is, indeed, of consequence.  The other is that the spell/poem doesn't quite scan when you read it out loud.  (I'm an irritatingly picky bastard.)

One final thing - there's a sort of inference that Dao neglects his wife because of his new found activities - I couldn't tell if that was deliberate or not, but again being an incredibly unsubtle man I wondered if, assuming it's deliberate, it's worth making slightly clearer, as it gives the end a bit more of a kick.

Finally, I'll say it again, I liked it.  A lot.  It's beautifully written and imagined, with some great world building in a very short space.  Whenever anyone comments on anything I've written I always focus on the criticisms, so it's worse stressing that whilst I've given you a couple of paragraphs of tiny nitpicks it really is very good indeed.
  • Thanks for having a look guys. Really appreciate all comments.

Yeah, there are a few inconsistencies and things that don't quite add up. Comes from the story morphing and changing in my own head as I was writing, then changing a few bits and skipping back and forward making minor tweaks and... well, you know.

Yes, Dao is supposed to neglect his wife due to his new found love of necromancy. I haven't quite got the timescales ironed out in my mind yet so that is perhaps a bit confusing. The 'of little consequence' thing is definitely wrong - That came from some rewriting and I'd missed it (thanks!).

Not happy with the end at all, to be honest. I'm just not quite sure where to go with it so forced something down. Will mull it over. Perhaps needs a bigger build up and a more clear ending? Hmm.

Again, huge thanks for having a read.
  • Ok, I've had a play. Changed a few bits. Different ending. Bit happier with it, though I'm not convinced it shows enough. Fairly liking it overall though.

Spoiler:
  • If anyone else is writing any shorts, Shimmer seem like a nice place to send stuff. Pro paying and give personal feedback in all cases, I believe.
  • Struggling with a rewrite.

Working on my Mothgate story and I've been tasked with putting more story in there. Some kind of progression, or hint of future progression. The problem being that it's a time loop, and progression... well, that doesn't fit all too well. It's kind of about inevitability and responsibility and acceptance of a path, I s'pose, but I'm reticent to say no.

Think I just need to keep pondering how I can do it, but time loop stuff makes it nigh impossible...

EDIT: Ah, fuck! An idea... this... might work!
  • http://www.godisageek.com/2015/02/richard-ogden-interview/

First interview I've ever done.
    Seemed to turn out ok.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • EDIT: Ah, fuck! An idea... this... might work!

Go on then...
  • There's a lore book they keep with all the creatures they encounter which they update and amend. This is not reset by the time loop. Therefore they are able to, as the loops go on and on, learn more and more. Eventually, this could break the loop.

'Cos MAGIC.
  • http://www.godisageek.com/2015/02/richard-ogden-interview/ First interview I've ever done. Seemed to turn out ok.
    Nice.

Game looks cool too, actually.
  • Its a brilliant little game.

Did this too.

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/dead-alive-5-review/
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!