The Write Stuff - NKOTB tribute thread
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Thumbs up for anyone who guesses what the object is.

A bong, or a crack pipe.

But tis' just a guess.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Haha, I actually like that idea.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Hope that story ends up in a 'Making Of' one day. : D
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Is it a waffle maker? 

I liked it, Tempy. I find the ideas of purple prose and over-writing quite interesting, possibly because I quite enjoy them and they come in for criticism so often, but I also have problems with their attribution. Quite like the term of ornate writing to cover styles like yours because I think strengths exist in that style if you maintain focus on making the detailed descriptions do something. I think yours largely do, and a proper editor would take a knife to anything fatty. The writing oozes atmosphere, which is no mean feat. Feels very much like the kind of dark, unknown, and somewhat unconventional fantasy I like.

You say you cower from narrative, but I like this style and there is progression. The style and word smithery wouldn't continue to hold me for long though, and I think the length of this is about right. Some manner of progression would be needed now, for me, something to give meaning. Something to attach the reader to the dark malevolence of what is happening, giving something to hang on to with the main character, to ground the horror in something. Whether that's a name, or more understanding of the situation, I don't know.

Of course, that can be avoided if it's an early part of a larger work. It's intriguing enough to read on and want to understand the world.

Honestly, this, and the thing you wrote some time ago that I read (not one here)... there's a real individuality and quality to your writing, Tempy. Keep writing. 

I'm wondering if Google docs with comments enabled would be a good way to go about this writerly circle? Makes it easier to be specific, rather than tab hopping.

In terms of how you write, I'm similar in some ways. Typically everything I've written has started with a single image, a tone, and then the narrative has been born from simply driving that hard. Mothgate - Jittery nerves as you wait for the monsters to arrive, Mother Salt - Deep scent of brine and the image of two people sat on a rock, watching a ship toil in the waves. Everything else is just... following on, I guess. Pushing for something to happen.
  • That might be incoherent I'm not quite awake today.
  • Remainder of that story I wrote a little time back. Had a couple of rejections so far. Thoughts on weaknesses would be nice - I'll attach reasons for rejection below but it might be interesting to read it, see what you think, and then compare to the reasons for rejection?
    Spoiler:
    - Please let me know if that doesn't work. Should be akin to Tempy's link. Viewable, but not editable.

Note: I'm actually still quite caught up in your story Tempy. More plz.

These guys sound like they might be a good fit for your stuff? Haven't read anything they've published, but might be worth a look. Ideomancer.
  • Thanks tiger, I'll get them sync'd to my chromebook for my 3 hour train journey later on today. I'm happy to open up mine for comments too, I forgot you could do that on Docs. To be honest it generated more criticism and words than I was expecting, which is always a good sign you've got something that could be better if you are brave enough to cut away the bits that frustrated others.

Can you link to the stories that were rejected so I can read them and compare the rejections? From what little I know about getting responses, even getting a rejection is pretty decent, it means that there was enough to hook someone to read it.
  • Story above () was rejected for the reasons in the spoiler tags. Same version there that I've submitted. Kinda agree regarding the Shimmer's notes - Fixing things is always difficult though.

Yeah, generally the markets I've submitted to in the past are pretty good about responding with a small amount of personal feedback. Not guaranteed, but it is nice to have someone take the time to tell you why it didn't work for them. Apart from the heart break as someone tells you you're not perfect, that is. Most markets at least ive you the courtesy of a response, though some can take months to do so.
  • I'm not really familiar with fantasy writing, but I wonder if style-wise it's quite formulaic.

Tiger's piece seem very 'professional' to me, in both a positive and negative sense, in that it's clearly written by someone who can structure sentences and create a strong narrative flow, but it's also rather controlled and familiar. I mean, there's phrasing in the first few sentences that feels like I've read exactly that before (or something very like it), which makes it immediately 'gettable' but perhaps it shouldn't be quite so easy. I'm thinking things like 'surf breaks', 'a lone schooner rocks', 'sucks out the flesh', 'smacks her mucky lips', 'flecked in grime'. The incidental reference to 'my chained wrist' is probably the first thing that generates any questions.

On the other hand, I think Tempy's piece has more evocative and unusual phrasing, but perhaps is a little too dense with it. It could do with being balanced more towards clarity, I thought. In a sense, you could take something from each other.

As I say, I don't really read fantasy/sci-fi, so maybe it just has certain styles. I also didn't read the whole of either piece, so am not commenting on the content. But it'd be interesting to see these pieces with a more stripped down or blunt style, or perhaps some more off-the-wall or humorous description, if that's the sort of thing that interests you.
  • I don't read fantasy either to be honest ( I dabble in SciFi) but I agree with youthat clarity is probably sorely missing from what I write.

Tiger, annoyingly your story didn't sync to my chromebook so I'm unable to look at it until tomorrow.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I like that Temps, its a nice, ghastly scene. A tad too flowery for my tastes, it felt like it had a horror vibe and I prefer that a bit raw and to the point.

I'm rubbish at feedback, but yeah, solid job mate.
  • Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, Jon. It's interesting that you say that actually. I've consciously altered my style of writing as I was getting a lot of feedback criticising the lack of narrative thrust and it leading to too many questions without answers. May have gone the other way too much. /smacks lips.

No worries, Temps.
  • Smacking lips is an odd one. Seems to happen often when people are eating in novels, and I'm still not exactly sure what it means.

I'm not sure my thoughts should be taken seriously BTW - I probably just have a very different approach to writing, which may not apply here.
  • I haven't written any fiction in about 10 years myself, and only did it for fun. I've no idea if I've still got most of it even.

This is the beginning of one bit I still have from then. The story itself is some awful rubbish about religion, but you can get the gist from this:
    Spoiler:
  • Haven't read it all, but that first line really is great.
  • Some really nice stuff turning up on here! Tempy, that really dragged me in and the wider world is very intriguing. I think the questions regarding clarity would be easily resolved with some more of the story. As a piece of a larger work, the slightly dense opening would work as long as it is eventually made clear. As a reader of fantasy, you really did a great job of world building in such a short piece.

Also enjoyed Jons, some very good ideas and a lovely opener. I did feel like some the sentences were slightly over long, hampering the overall flow of the writing and could do with some editing and seperating. Yet, the overall premise was great and I liked the flashback style to help define the character.

I think I need to get writing again now...gonna put some of my ideas onto paper instead of just mulling them over.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • ffs, just wrote some stuff and deleted it by accident.

Short version: Premise/hook is very nice, Jon. Would definitely like to read more and I'd be interested to know where it went. The tone of the last couple of lines seems quite different, however. 

Great to see people posting in here again. Really enjoy reading your stuff, guys. Lovely contrasts in style.
  • Premise/hook is very nice, Jon. Would definitely like to read more and I'd be interested to know where it went. The tone of the last couple of lines seems quite different, however.
    It went bad is where it went. Horse starts telling a big crowd of people about religion being shit is the short of it. Quite lame really.

I wish I still had some other stuff, but it was on an old computer and I'm not sure I even have copies anywhere.
  • So what actually was the horse then?

I am asking purely out of curiosity as it was intriguing.

So I am thinking about launching into writing a longer piece of fantasy writing but want to spend a bit of time on the world building first. How do you guys go about this?

I was planning on expanding the world I used for my first two short stories (which I wrote ages ago!) as I have had a few ideas whizzing around.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just do whatever feels comfortable man. I love sitting down with a tiny lil crumb of an idea and letting my mind build it as I pour it onto the page, others prefer being a bit meticulous and think way into it. Just whatever gets you writing is a bonus!
  • So what actually was the horse then? I am asking purely out of curiosity as it was intriguing.
    It claimed to know everything and to have made people and animals and even the world probably, but just as an experiment, not because it was God or anything.

It was called 'The Horse That Knew Everything' btw.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I should write more. My style is rather different to most of what I've read here. I suspect not in a good way.
  • Something I'm writing now. Taken a few ideas from an old short and am trying something new with them.

EDITED OUT NOW.
  • Formatting can get tae.
  • Nice little bit of work there Tiger.  I like the quick, no nonsense pacing and the general juxtaposition of fantasy and technology.
  • Thanks, A. It's hit a bit of a wall now. Things always seem to as I struggle to make up stories. I just like describing things.

So, shall we do this?

Me, Tempy, Aaron, Tin, @Chief (?) Ravel, DS... Anyone else? Jon? Muzzah?

Because I'm an impatient chap, I'd perhaps suggest two people put up work at the same time and we swap every two weeks? So, say, Tempy/Tiger, Aaron/Chief, Revel/Tin, DS/??? or something like that? Only comment on what you feel comfortable with, no need to trawl through line by line. Try to suppress ego as it's always a bit heart-breaking to have someone tell you something doesn't work but if we just want to make stories better, it's important to be told what's not quite working for reader X.

I'm hesitant to give any kind of word count - 500 - 5000 words is ok? Should allow sections of a story as well as whole shorts.
  • I'm in like Flynn.

@Tiger, I was thinking of your writing the other day as I'm reading a novel which I think you'd lap up and may find helpful. The underlying darkness, use of language and plot reminded me of some of your stuff. The List of 7 by Mark Frost -  co-creator of Twin Peaks. Amazon blurb:-

"Christmas Day, 1884: A letter is slid under the door of a struggling young doctor and aspiring novelist, begging him to come to the aid of a mysterious woman, a victim of the black spiritual arts . . .

From the foggy streets of Victorian London to the windswept moors of Yorkshire, a demonic conspiracy begins to unfold. The List of Seven, a sinister brotherhood sworn to serve the Dark Lord, has conceived a diabolical plot that threatens not only the Royal Crown, but the very fabric of modern society. 

Only two men stand in their way: the young Doctor Arthur Conan Doyle and Jack Sparks, Queen Victoria’s special agent, a man of formidable intellect and lethal skills . . ."
  • I could join in in principle, but won't have much time for it. As long as it's OK to write something silly and unpolished.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Let's do this!!
  • FFS this just reminded me i have all of Tiger's stuff to google docs and have forgotten to read any of it. I'll get on that before committing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!