The Write Stuff - NKOTB tribute thread
  • Having learned from the previous entry, this new excerpt is much longer:
    http://garybaileywriting.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/excerpt-mistakes/
  • I have read it and enjoyed it but don't have the energy to dissect right now. Will get to it. :)

Looking at the comment on yer blog - Is this part of a wider world you have written a number of bits for, yes?
  • Yes and no. The world is the setting for the novel I've written (yet to be edited) which has only been read by a very small number of people, but I have written one or two flash fiction pieces set in the same world - not sure if they're all on the blog or not.

Thanks for giving it a read. :)
  • If I ever finish a novel without exploding in a shower of self-hatred, that will be a wondrous day. I think the only way I could possibly do it would be to type without looking at the screen and simply refusing to read back a word until it was finished.

Kudos.
  • It took me about 4-5 years, with a few breaks. It's something I'm not sure I could do again, especially with the editing process hanging over me. I'm better suited to short form writing, so I'm considering putting together future books as compilations of sorts.

Just doing what I can at the moment, it's very easy to get down on yourself (even when/if you believe in yourself) when the writing isn't coming as quickly as before.
  • SFX are doing a short zombie story competition (to be eventually judged by Darren Shan).  I haven't written anything in ages but thought I would give it a go.  The wife enjoyed my story, I will send it in and see if it gets anywhere. I think this link should take you to it.   http://aaroncupboard.blogspot.co.uk/

Bugger.  I saw this, thought it sounded like a perfect excuse to get writing again, decided I wouldn't read yours in case it influenced mine, did a quick tale and submitted it.  Then I read your story, and realised they have a similar central conceit.  Which is annoying.  Sorry.
  • Don't really know what to say about yer work actually, Chief. I liked it. Would read more. Anything I say should be taken with salt 'cos what the hell do I know, huh?

MC's name seems feminine to me. Couple of parts don't scan quite as well for me and some small edits would make a difference -
     The young magi regained his composure, the fleeting moment of fright already forgotten, and studied the arch’s text in closer detail
    - Reads a touch nicer to me, for example. Liked the description of Vun a lot. Perhaps add in a few more minor details of the MC entering the city? Perhaps pausing for a few moments, laying his hand on some manner of draconic architecture, give us a bit more tactile impression of the place? I'm a sucker for description and scene setting.
  • Thanks muchly. I do tend to be a bit visual with description and less with the feel and smell, etc. which is something I need to work on. Luckily this is only the first pass. :)
  • Decided to do something. Added a couple of extracts to a blog-type thing. One from "A Voyage of Frightful Sorrow" which I'm writing at the moment and isn't finished but I like a lot, and a much longer one from the finished story "Garden 9". Also a picture of lion and other bits I like.

http://jrtroughtondotcom.wordpress.com/
    Thoughts on a digital postcard. kthxbye <3 xx
  • Rabbit was read out on the ALMIGHTY RadioMK, a couple of days ago. I didn't know anything about it until after the fact, but it's available online if anyone fancies a listen. It was a pretty surreal experience hearing it read out. A tad rushed too, but she (Belinda Hunt, who published it) was very complimentary so I can't really complain.

http://www.mixcloud.com/radiomk/the-word-27-may-2014/

Skip to 33:00 for TIGERTIME.

In other news, feeling really depressed atm. Not sure why. Struggling to do anything much. Halp.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've been through that phase for awhile, tiger. Not really down, but absolutely no drive. You've just gotta try and force yaself to do stuff. Harder than it reads, I know! Get it down on the page, use that darkness to build some beautiful horror or some such, channel it.

Congrats on Rabbit being read btw, I loved that. The best thing you've written that I've seen (although I haven't clocked your more recent stuff as of yet).
  • Yeah, I've got loads to do as well. I have a difficult time motivating myself for anything at times though. Try to keep busy but I get tired easily, haha.

Many thanks. It was very weird. Have just finished the first draft of something very different. If anyone is willing to beta it, that would be fab. It's very fantasy though, which may turn people off (not elves and that though, just... weird). I can do whatever file formats. I posted an extract before (Frightful Sorrow).
  • Tiger, I'll have a look-see. Think you've got an email of mine? Might give me the oomph to actually start writing again. Wrote a zombie short for the competition that was posted on here previously, then missed the closing date. 

Re: being a bit down. Are you on holiday at the moment? I always have a day in the holidays where the mental state takes a dip and normally around this time. Namely because the previous term is so hectic, this half-term is a relaxation of sorts which is so wholly unfamiliar to what went before. If I don't have any activities or schedule planned, then I kinda miss that stress of structure.
  • Thanks, @Stopharage.

Yup, I have your e-mail. The prose is somewhat bit purple, but purposefully so because I'm still dabbling with style. I won't say more than that until you've read it. Any particular format you want it in? Can do docx. or .mobi or whatever.

And yes, I'm on holiday at the moment, though work is sitting waiting for me. Got a bit too much to do, actually. Have a presentation to prepare, I'm away on a residential all next week, then fully back into it the week after (when I am doing the presentation). Plus my folder is shit because I haven't looked at it for a while. Oh, and one of my lecturer's died unexpectedly during half-term, which is playing on my mind a tad. Very odd. Along with normal life stresses of finance and social relationships, it's all a bit much right now. 

Need to just get back into the work work work mindset. Will hopefully take the edge of everything else.
  • Hmph, I can't seem to find your e-mail address.

If you could pop it to me in a PM again, that would be amazing. <3
  • http://www.godisageek.com/2014/06/drakengard-3-review/

My first ever online games review.
    Fairly pleased
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Nice read Rev; sound offering for a first review and had a logical flow to it. Only advice I'd give is to inject more of your personality into your next one; seemed relatively 'safe' whereas your wit comes across as more natural, anarchic and infectious on here.
  • Thank you so much stopharage. :D

I think it's one of those cases where people need to get used to my style and to be honest I didn't want to overdo the first one too much.
    Good news is that they were pleased and have made rumblings about me doing other things in future.
    Please feel free to share the article. More shares mean more traffic so it helps with getting the site out there.

If anyone is looking to write some stuff about gaming culture then please let me know. The is a new site I'm contributing to that would welcome some additional material.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Been given my second assignment now. Will be out in the next couple of weeks.
  • I have to admit that I enjoyed your review too Rev. But to be honest it felt as has bee. Said 'safe' for a better word I would go it's formulaic.
    I can't write a review, if anything I would consider myself as a colour commentator. But there's a middle portion where you discuss the game, and it's a bit at odds with the better bits towards the front and back of the review where you're using some rather good analogies.
    If you can keep the flow going throughout then I am certain all your reviews will be great reads.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Thank you man. I appreciate your honest feedback.
    Still at the beginning, will see what happens and how it goes.
    It's fair to say my style will come out once I get me used to what is expected.
    I'm enjoying myself though. Never expected to be doing this so it's a bonus.
  • The beginning of a thing I was writing today. Early draft.
  • http://www.godisageek.com/2014/06/pokemon-art-academy/

Here is my latest review, published last night.
  • Good work, Revels.

Are you choosing the games to review?
  • No. I'm in a kinder egg situation..
    Dunno until I gets the email.
  • @tigerswiftly - Have read through the excerpt you sent over and emailed you some feedback. Thought it was genuinely superb, greatly enjoyed it. Be good for other folks on here to see it, think they'd really like it. Well done! 

@Rev, I'll have a read when I'm at home - site is blocked at work.
  • Thanks, Stoph. Very kind of you. :)
  • I wants more of your story tiger.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!