The Write Stuff - NKOTB tribute thread
  • Nice work. Novels are beyond daunting. To even finish a draft is an accomplishment.
  • Thanks. It took me the better part of five years, plus a complete reset after I'd written about 40-50 pages.
  • Chief wrote:
    I finished writing my first novel last year, will start editing it from tomorrow with a view to getting it published later in the year. I know it'll be a long process and there's a mountain of work ahead of me, but I'm realistic about my chances and well and truly ready to work for this.

You're already doing better than me.  I wrote mine, but have then sat on it ever since.  I think I had some weird fantasy that writing it would be the hard part.  (I sent it to all of 2 agents, one of whom said they liked it but didn't know what to do with it, and the other ignored me completely.)  I've told myself that this year I should either have a proper attempt at getting it published, or stop moaning, self publish so it's out there, and get on with writing the next one as that's the bit I actually enjoy...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Definitely try to get it published. Better a publishing house than self promotion for months.

I'll be writing soon again too, but I worry what I want to write is too bleak for a publishing house.
  • Finished the draft. Now to read it back and crai.

My novel has gone absolutely nowhere. Find it very difficult to write lengthy. Still working on my NaNoWriMo effort from last year. It's only on about 10k, ffs. Keep deleting it all due to self-loathing.

DS, have you read much horror stuff that's out there? I have no idea how bleak the genre goes. Must be a market somewhere though. People like dark.
  • Found this interesting... (spoilered for reasonable length). From here - http://ttapress.com/1774/ralph-robert-moore-interviewed/0/5/ DREAD FICTION
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've read some bleak stuff, aye. It feels like a limited market as such though (Ketchum is the stand out). But still, as they say, write what you love. I even tried a love story once, which ended with the two women who desired the men murdering each other :D

EDIT: Nice link. My novel would open with a 12yo boy witnessing his brother being hanged, so yeah, which leads to repercussions of being haunted by it when we join him in adult life.

I'll always hold The Wasp Factory as an example of bleak done beautiful.
  • No doubt, gotta writes what you likes. And there's no doubting that particularly bleak stuff has a smaller market than, say, Young Farmer Becomes Ultimate Dragon Warrior And Saves The World.

Still, I guess it depends how you approach it. The Wasp Factory is fucking dark in places, but Banks made it work. Only book to make me cry.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Road made me cry, but I could never hope to write near that level without ideals of copying the great one.
  • Daunting, eh.

I've just tidied up my the short story I was working on yesterday and this afternoon. If anyone is willing to have a read, I've love some opinions. Have it as .docx & .mobi.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If its .mobi and works on Kindle, I'll actually read it this time ;)
  • Yaaay. I should still have your e-mail. Will send it now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers chap :)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Chief wrote:
    I finished writing my first novel last year, will start editing it from tomorrow with a view to getting it published later in the year. I know it'll be a long process and there's a mountain of work ahead of me, but I'm realistic about my chances and well and truly ready to work for this.
    You're already doing better than me.  I wrote mine, but have then sat on it ever since.  I think I had some weird fantasy that writing it would be the hard part.  (I sent it to all of 2 agents, one of whom said they liked it but didn't know what to do with it, and the other ignored me completely.)  I've told myself that this year I should either have a proper attempt at getting it published, or stop moaning, self publish so it's out there, and get on with writing the next one as that's the bit I actually enjoy...
    The writing is definitely the best part. I should say that it was around Summer when I finished writing the novel last year, it's been sat around for six months. I told myself that I was busy with other things (December was the only month I could honestly claim that) but the truth is I was terrified of going back and finding it was shit, or of finishing it and then have agents/publishers tell me it's worthless.

Now though? I know it'll be a long and difficult road, maybe even ending with me self-publishing, but I'm really pushing myself to get my writing career started. I'm miserable at my job and need to move on, enjoy life again.

@tigerswiftly I don't think I could write another long novel again, it's difficult to write such a large story. I've already decided that the sequel will either be a novella or a series of short stories, keeping me from running out of ideas or stretching the story beyond its limits.
  • I'd love to write a novel. That's the eventual goal, for sure. Trying to build up my writing confidence through shorter stories first though, all the while chipping away and growing THE WORLD.

Has anyone submitted to TTA press before? Any idea of turnaround times? Submitted one story to them today (Garden 9) and will be submitting my needing-a-title horror short tomorrow after a few more edits. If you have any suggestions for a title, DS, I'm all ears. Was originally going to be about a Kafka-esque journey to reach the lighthouse, hence the original name... story has undergone something of a transformation!

Pretty stumped for a title, actually. "The Lighthouse (not really lol)" would be a good 'un.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Marble Island?

I'm rubbish at titles to be honest, The Lighthouse is sound seeing as its so imperative to the story. Simpler the better.
  • That exact title has occurred to me, actually.

I think I prefer The Lighthouse though - As you say, it works. Thanks. <3
  • No idea what I'm doing when it comes to editing a novel, but I started today with the help of a friend. It's a simpler process than I expected, but I know it'll take a long time. Good to go back and read the first chapter again, having given it a good while so I can look at it with fresh eyes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Does it still read well?
  • Not too bad, actually. No glaring mistakes, just a few bits that need reworking to clarify certain points. I can certainly see where I've improved since, though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Always a good thing chap! I wish you Godspeed for the challenge ahead.
  • Think I'll get the forum tale finished of by the end of the month then start writing some things that have been buzzing about my head.
    Would like to see the finished Garden nine story please tiger?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Ok. Will send it over to ya. Will also fire you The Lighthouse if you like?

Do you want .mobi? Or just a word file?
  • Word file is fine my good man
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Cheers, bow-wow. Have sent.

Look forward to hearing what you think. x
  • You can get a free copy of Interzone (who publish sci-fi & fantasy) on Smashwords. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/60013#download
    They're open to unsolicited submissions, so anyone on here who likes a dabble in that style-o'fiction might want to check out the sorts of things they do publish.

Clarkesworld seems like a decent bet too, actually, and have tonnes of free stuff to read. And they do a podcast with people reading out some of the stories too, which is nice. Gonna have a listen while I do the washing up later.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'd love to write Sci Fi. May give it a crack at some point.
  • Got my first rejection today.

That's a landmark, I guess. Onwards and upwards and oh god someone kill me now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!