The Write Stuff - NKOTB tribute thread
  • I may have to read some of this stuff then do tha mooovie adaptation.
  • This month, I have been mostly writing horror.

I've just about finished one short story and am working on another. The first isn't particularly scary, having taken a slightly different route to where I originally wanted to go, but still has some horror to it. Very much a first draft right now, but I'll hammer out the rewrite after a few days away from it. 

The second is something that has been burning at me for a while and I'm really pleased with the opening paragraphs... but that's all I've written so far.
  • you should post some of it tiger.

I've found the story writing to be hard work. I've been making it up as I go along but trying to make notes, keeping a track of who has been in and who hasn't and trying to fit in any requests. I'm glad its put me in the position where I have to write something. The pressure had helped a lot. I would have looked like a total idiot if I had stopped half way through. And I've been lucky how some of the ideas have worked and some less so. It has encouraged me to write something else that won't be laid bare for everyone to see.
    I am really grateful for all the positive feedback I've had so im a happy chappy.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Nice one, Jon.

Has anyone had any success publishing an e-book on Amazon?

I was having a nose through today. Normal royalty rate is 35%.
  • I've considered it, but I think I'd prefer to try the traditional route first. Don't think I'd be all that swell at marketing.

Royalties vary depending on price, don't they? Either 35% or 70% as I recall.
  • Yeah that's right, but they seem to push you towards 35%.
    I didn't look at google books.
  • Found the motivation to go back and finish a short horror piece I was writing. It's damn rough, particularly around the end, but some feedback would be nice. I haven't read the majority of it back yet, so there could be some woeful shit in there.

Anyone willing to take a look?
  • I would.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Spoiler:
  • Plenty of issues, needs a few drafts, I don't think I went into the detail required at times... but this is it so far. I think I'm going to go back and add a lot more detail to certain sections, but the story is broadly 'done' now.

Thx RV.
  • I wouldn't touch it too much. You have enough detail in rabbit but leave enough for me to imagine the rest. The same with the bedroom as well.
    I like it a lot.
    dont think you need the last bit about the burning rage. Better he feels empty, like something has been removed from him..
  • A few things like 'everything under the sun' and other colloquialisms/phrasings don't fit the rest of how it's written for me. I only briefly skimmed it as i'm on a bus but they stuck out from the prose as 'wrong'. I'll give it another read when I'm done with my assignment.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You've got a cracking story there, tiger. Slightly similar to one I'm writing about a boy and his brother and what they're haunted by, but I really enjoyed it.

I would, however, try to creep Rabbit up a bit more. I know basically, she's a confused 'thing' trying to find her way, but when it hits, it wasn't as much of a surprise as I'd like. Probably foreshadowed by the cat section.

Some touching up, some rewriting and then awesome. Would love to read the finished piece.
  • I've just remembered that I had the exact same issue with DS's story as I did with this one. People often write a certain way when doing a story, and it almost feels a bit formal as you're doing your best to set pace and expose, then these phrases crop up that totally jar you. Managing to work the two together is what separates us amateurs from the pros I guess.

I need to go back to my horror-ish thing that I wrote, only Elm read it though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye, I need to rewrite that. I find I try to write in a certain style, but a few of my IRL phrases end up appearing. Its always the way with a first draft.

My current piece is being written from a late 40's male perspective, which I'm finding harder due to not actually being that age myself. Most of it is spent with memories, however.
  • Tiger, I really enjoyed that. A decent read just needs a bit more dread. Like Tempy says a few lines stick out though; the one about cutting through the house like a scythe seemed a little bit out of place. 

I thought it was going to end by
    Spoiler:
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Tiger, I really enjoyed that. A decent read just needs a bit more dread. Like Tempy says a few lines stick out though; the one about cutting through the house like a scythe seemed a little bit out of place.  I thought it was going to end by
    Spoiler:

What I thought but I liked it because that would have been the expected outcome.
  • Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not happy with how I ended it, so I'll certainly be changing it in some manner. Not quite sure how.

Here's something I just hammered out in my break (literally just finished it). Quite pleased with it, actually, more so than the above, but there will probably be some glaring errors. I think DS might like this one. Just a hunch. Needs more, as ever, but hopefully there's something there.

Um, "enjoy."

This thread has been a touch quiet of late. Would love to see some more stuff from you chaps.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I quite enjoyed that, tiger. Needs a bit more tension for my liking, but another top idea. Kudos.

RE: being quiet, I'll post my latest effort when finished.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This is from what I'm attempting now. Trying to write from a female perspective, its pretty much internal monologue conveyed to the reader:
    Spoiler:

There's been no editing, and I've just written as it comes to me my preferred way. Very early first draft, just wondering if it reads okay, and you're convinced it is a woman etc
  • hey DS... i just jumped in here and then read your last piece, but i'm not a literary expert so don't take anything badly!
    i think it must be quite good, because i paid more attention than i thought i would from the concept and first paragraph...only thing that stuck out as odd to me from the 'is it a woman' angle, was her referring to her friend as 'mate'.  doesn't sound like a girl way of putting it.  i'd expect 'her' to say friend from the rest of the text.

edit:  not that the first paragraph is bad writing - i just mean the setup of 'inner monologue of woman trying to get man back', it didn't really interest me, but the writing kept me reading when i probably expected to switch off...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nae worries chap, the problem I've found with it is trying to keep some suspense in due to what's coming up, something which is sorely lacking now. Cheers for the feedback sir :)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This is from what I'm attempting now. Trying to write from a female perspective, its pretty much internal monologue conveyed to the reader:
    Spoiler:
    There's been no editing, and I've just written as it comes to me my preferred way. Very early first draft, just wondering if it reads okay, and you're convinced it is a woman etc

The next bit:
    Spoiler:

I need to do some restructuring (hint at what's to come more etc) and change a few things (the missus read it and pointed me in some female ways), but any feedback is appreciated as always, from you lovely fecks <3
  • I'll try and read it over the weekend, DS.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You know what you are? Beautiful, that's what.
  • Spoiler:
    I started writing a kids story. This is where I am up to.  It's about a strange little boy and his adventures in a steampunky setting when he and the girl go on the run from the orphanage seeking answers to his origins. Along the way he will cross paths and be aided or hindered by characters from classic fiction. Yeah, it's another orphans on a quest story but having parents is such a hindrance!

I'm trying to capture the tone of Roald Dahl or Lemony Snickett crossed with Alan Moore's 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' comics. I have the journey planned as an adventure that takes them from a land at the centre of the earth to floating cities in the sky and across the continents. Again, I'm dipping into the classic literature of HG Wells, Jules Verne etc. and mashing it together into something a bit child friendly.

I'll probably never finish it but you can have a read and see what you think.
  • I've just read the first part, DS.

Some things are a little difficult to comment on, due to reading it in a spoiler tag all the formatting is gone, but let's see anyway. It's interesting and I'm wondering where it's going, though I did find it a tad stream-of-thought. That's partly symptomatic of this style of writing anyway (which I don't read too often) but is probably influenced by the lack of formatting too. Perhaps some restructuring around the flashback section would help?

While I'm not sure how it's going to pan out, my feeling is that she's not particularly well hinged - And if that does turn out to be the case, you've nailed that. She seems erratic, very much over-attached, and I imagine it will transpire that she's dangerous in her passions. She seems to be on the cusp of doing something rather stupid and that looks like where the story is heading at the moment. We'll see.

One or two other parts I didn't like, though they're personal rather than technical - I wasn't a fan of a couple of more over used turns of phrase. Par example, I really did like "A permanent smile I couldn't stop, didn't want to stop." and similar phrases but I'm not a fan of...

Pretty uneventful night up to that point to be honest

There'd been a few advances, sure, but nothing to write home about

I'm not sure why, frankly. It might just be too familiar for me in a regular passage of text? I guess they do fit very well with your conversational thought-process style, but I find them a touch jarring somehow. I'm no expert in critique though, other people might completely disagree with me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tiger, I heart you. You've picked up on what I was aiming for, was my main worry that she wouldn't come across as so. Its mainly me typing my stream of conciousness as 'her' currently, so it does need to be tightened. I'll bung the rest up after the weekend.
  • I'll get on the 2nd part and Voodoo's story tomorrow with any luck.

I'm writing a sci-fi short story at the moment. I think it's going ok, but I'm not very happy with one or two sections. Trying to suppress my inner editor and leave it until I finish. Not sure if I'll post it on here though as I may try sending it to a few places when it's done.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!