Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers chap.
  • No worries man, I really felt the good horror chill from it.

Need to read the others when I get some more time. I really should be contributing to this. I may just still.
  • HELLO YES THIS IS TEMPY 

DS, I have read your story. I echo Aaron's sentiments in the fact that the start and ending are the strongest, the middle is always the toughest and needs a little lengthening for pacing I think, personally. Other than that, I really enjoyed the mystery and the suspense. I have a few things to point out below, in spoilers (cos they're boring - nothing to do with plot criticism)

Spoiler:

They're all tiny, tiny things though, I know it looks like nit-picking but I picked them out because they are sins I commit frequently.
  • HELLO FFS THIS IS STILL TEMPY

Tiger: I like your excerpt, it is very descriptive. Maybe add something in to emphasise the scale a little further. Whoever mentioned the issue with the first paragraph's ending being confused by the second paragraph's opening is spot on, just add something like "the rest of the team" or something and it clears it up. Also, ending it on 'Nomad' is scuppered by the repetition of Nomad before in my eyes, I'd leave it's name out until the end, but that's just me. Would read more, hurry up.
  • Good story DS. Excellent first draught. Think you could hone it and perfect it in a second draught, plus pick up minor typo's.

I have to say i had a similar reaction to some of the phrasing used in the narrative as Tempy mentions.
    Spoiler:
  • I've started writing something else and I intend it to be a bit longer, but still only a short story. Maybe 6k-8k words. Basically can't play games or stuff on Wednesday or Thursday nights because of stupid early starts, so I'm planning to try and write instead. have Have a feeling I could cram this in over the next three nights.

It's trying something I've not done before, I'm hoping my everyman speak doesn't come across as tacky, i've been saying my head everything I write with his voice and I think it's ok.

Edit: moved it down to the last post.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Much appreciated feedback chaps. The phrases you pick out, after reading 'em back, I have to agree. The whole final bit I posted was written in somewhat of a rush, so there's some massive tweaking to go on there. Not had much time today, but will catch up with everything posted as soon as possible.
  • Natural dialogue is super tough, it's why I doubt I could ever do a screenplay. I think it's probably tougher in a story though, because it has to fit with the rest of the narrative etc.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye, I can do internal dialogue all day with no problems, except when rushed. My next one is primarily dialogue light. I wanted the protagonist to be efficient, sometimes cold. Prefer to write as it comes to my mind, hate doing notes and such. Get down what's there, sort out later.
  • Yeah I never write notes, just have a rough outline. The thing i'm writing now though, I wanted to set it in America so I did a tiny bit of research on the year and stuff like that which is quite cool. I never usually do that. So the first part is actually on a Tuesday. Thanks internet!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I look forward to reading it :)
  • I've written about 4.5k words on it already. Jesus. it's just coming out. I think i'm maybe half way and I'm worried the format doesn't really work now.

Ah well, I'll stick it in here anyway. I'll split it up into parts I'd say it's about half way through, maybe two thirds of the way. Each spoiler tag is like another 'chapter' as it were. Or you can read it here if you fancy it all in one chunk.

Part 1
    Spoiler:

Part 2
    Spoiler:

Part 3
    Spoiler:

Part 4
    Spoiler:
  • Cheers, Tempy.

I've already redrafted that excerpt to distinguish the paragraphs and make a few minor alterations. I like the idea of rewording things to improve the final word, but haven't been pleased with my (very brief) efforts so far.

Got about another 5000 words on top of that "done" but it's rough and ready and variable in tone and style. Not entirely happy with any of it, but ideas are popping and with after taking I think there's potential there.

Will try and read the above today.
  • Here's another excerpt. Pretty loose still, and there are certain ideas/sections I might axe completely, but for the sake of NaNo I need to surge ever onwards right now!  Also, hate the name Cramwick. Need to come up with something better.
  • How the fuck do you format spoilers, goddamit?
  • I just use the button the far right to remove the smart formatting, past it and then manually add the tags, works for me.
  • You're a beautiful young man, Tempy. Post is fixed.
  • Don't ever try and put four spoilers in a post, formatting is a nightmare and the forum just gives up every time you press edit.
  • Just deleted a long post. :(

In short - NaNo isn't going well, I'm well behind schedule, but I'm still writing a lot more than normal, so that's a good thing. Carbon is ahead of schedule, the beauty. I'm tempted to serialise my effort and publish it on a blog type thing.

Anywho, here's the above extract, tweaked somewhat. Much happier with the name of the place now. Thoughts are welcomed, of course.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Forgot about this due to my eye. Will read when possible, cannae write at the moment.
  • Tempy; that is excellent. Please make it a full length book because I really want to read it!
  • Oh, hello thanks! Which one?
  • Parts 1-4 above, posted Nov 7.
  • Ok, the book is finally out tomorrow, so here's the info (formatting permitting):

Weapon of the Strong
    Conversations on US State Terrorism
    Interviews by Cihan Aksan & Jon Bailes
    Pluto Press

Publication Date: November 20, 2012 (UK), November 27, 2012 (US)
    ISBN: 9780745332413 ISBN 10: 0745332412
    Available from: Plutobooks.com, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones.com (UK);
    US.MacMillan.com, Amazon.com (US); Palgravemacmillan.com.au (AUS)

28wf71t.jpg

Product Description:
    Terrorism is often thought of as a ‘weapon of the weak’ that is employed exclusively
    by non-state groups or specific ‘rogue states’. Far less attention is given to state
    terrorism carried out or sponsored by powerful democracies, most notably the United
    States. History shows that this state terrorism has been responsible for the deaths
    of millions of people. 

Weapon of the Strong analyses the forms of US state terrorism through exclusive,
    never before published interviews with leading commentators and theorists. The
    interviews explore the different aspects of state terrorism: its functions, institutional
    supports and the legal and moral arguments surrounding it, and consider specific
    case studies in Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.

Weapon of the Strong makes an indispensable contribution to contemporary debates
    on terrorism and constructs a damning critique of US foreign policy from World War
    Two to the present day.

Chapters:
    1 Introduction
    2 Noam Chomsky: The Definition of Terrorism
    3 Richard A. Falk: International Law and Human Rights
    4 Marjorie Cohn: Torture as Terrorism
    5 Ted Honderich: Morality, Justification, and Responsibility
    6 Edward S. Herman: The Media Image of Terrorism
    7 Judith Butler: The Discourse of Terror
    8 Richard Jackson: Terrorism Studies and Academia
    9 Patrick Bond: International Financial Institutions and the Economics of Terrorism
    10 Ismael Hossein-zadeh: The Guiding Force of US Militarism
    11 Gilbert Achcar: The United States in the Middle East
    12 Norman G. Finkelstein: US Support for Israeli State Terror
    13 Greg Grandin: The United States in Latin America
    14 Daniele Ganser: NATO’s Secret Armies in Europe

Reviews:
    Terror exercised by states is infinitely more deadly than terrorism by non-state actors.
    This outstanding book is welcome precisely because it starts by challenging the
    hegemonic views of both terrorism and democratic power. Nuanced and uncompromising,the interviewers have posed some of the most penetrating and
    important questions of our time. The answers received will change forever the way
    we think about terror. (Professor Penny Green, King's College London, Director of
    the International State Crime Initiative (ISCI) and co-author of State Crime:
    Governments, Violence and Corruption (Pluto 2004))

A wide range of compelling topics are expertly explored by leading academics.
    Each is skilfully interviewed by Cihan Aksan and Jon Bailes who also provide an
    excellent introduction. A job well done. (Michael Parenti)
  • Hearty congratulations, Jon.
  • So, I've decided to convert my NaNo attempt into something a bit more ongoing and am publishing it piece by piece on a blog. See what works and what doesn't, hopefully get people interested in the world/my writing (heh), make my fortune. Etc.
  • Can the OP keep the OP updated with peoples bits or is that too much to ask? I wanna read everyones but don't have the time when they're first posted up and then forget whose posted what where and how and when and yeah.

Possibly, though I've been super busy lately so not been around much.

Managed to get the first draft of my script done in October. Got some positive feedback from a manager/producer's assistant and some helpful notes.

Act 1 is now much improved but finding the time to do the rest is proving tricky. I've given myself until late Jan to get things sorted. Then might send some query letters or enter it in the Blacklist 3.0 and see how it goes.
  • I have totally failed to update on here my current project - it's over 60k in length now. Almost done though, so I think I'll just stick up a download link in en e-reader friendly style when it's ready in case anyone want to read some amateur sci-fi.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nice one Carbon, good work. I've just started on my haunted story.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!