The Write Stuff - NKOTB tribute thread
  • I've just written a note to a waitress with my phone number on, does that count?

(get me livin' the 90's American sitcom dream)...
  • I've just finished writing an index. It really wasn't a smart idea to try and do it myself. Never again.

Still, everything's finalised now. Just a couple of months until publication.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I might write a Halloween tale for here this year.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Although it could be quite bloody and I don't want Precious Paul (Wahey Paul its a joke) spewing up his baguette or whatever.
  • JonB wrote:
    I've just finished writing an index. It really wasn't a smart idea to try and do it myself. Never again.
    It never occurred to me that writers would get other people to compile their index for them.  Are there people who do this for a living?  Where do I send my CV?

Also, don't word processors have the function for you to highlight a word and say, "add this and every other instance of this word/phrase to the index, and then keep track of the page it's on, and alphabetise the index?  They can handle Contents pages at the front...
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I've just finished writing an index. It really wasn't a smart idea to try and do it myself. Never again.
    It never occurred to me that writers would get other people to compile their index for them.  Are there people who do this for a living?  Where do I send my CV? Also, don't word processors have the function for you to highlight a word and say, "add this and every other instance of this word/phrase to the index, and then keep track of the page it's on, and alphabetise the index?  They can handle Contents pages at the front...
    There was an option to have it done by a third party - freelance, I guess - but I would have had to pay for it. I'd expect a really big publisher would just take care of it.

To an extent it's not a problem to find a key word and then search for other instances of it, but it's sometimes the concept that gets mentioned rather than the actual word, or something's referred to by another name, or the concept is still being talked about on the next page, even though the word isn't mentioned again. And then there's sorting out various subcategories of entries that have a lot of mentions. And I'd never done it before so there's probably other time saving techniques I didn't know.

It's tedious stuff, basically. Although apparently the philosopher John Rawls and his wife used to do indeces for fun, so yeah.
  • I've literally (within the last 30 minutes) just finished the first draft of a 78000 word novel.  I had pictured myself being unbelievably proud and excited at this point, but in reality I'm just really anxious about having to read the whole thing back again, as I'm certain a hell of a lot of re-writing will need to take place.  Such is my fear of rereading, nearly everything I've written in the past has been one draft and done, but there's no way I'll get away with that for this.  (This is my first time writing anything long form.)  Think I'll leave it for a few weeks at least before I go near it, and then I'll probably delete it in a fit of pique.

Anyone got any tips for reducing the horror/ tedium of doing this?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What genre is it?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    I've literally (within the last 30 minutes) just finished the first draft of a 78000 word novel.  I had pictured myself being unbelievably proud and excited at this point, but in reality I'm just really anxious about having to read the whole thing back again, as I'm certain a hell of a lot of re-writing will need to take place.  Such is my fear of rereading, nearly everything I've written in the past has been one draft and done, but there's no way I'll get away with that for this.  (This is my first time writing anything long form.)  Think I'll leave it for a few weeks at least before I go near it, and then I'll probably delete it in a fit of pique. Anyone got any tips for reducing the horror/ tedium of doing this?

First thing to do, is get it read by someone else. Gets you over the fear of putting it out, and after the time you've spent on it, good to get fresh eyes.
  • What genre is it?

I guess it's fantasy really.  Bit of comedy, bit of horror.  The awful working title under which it's currently saved is "Angels and Demons and Vampires Oh My!" because of the slightly ridiculous kitchen sink nature of it all.  There's a few Concepts tucked in there too, but it's fairly easy to ignore them and focus on the central "woman journeys to Hell to rescue her son" conceit.  (Yeah, hardly a new idea, but I've fiddled with it quite a bit.)

Like I say, it may never get read by anyone other than my wife knowing me, but hey, at least I wrote it.

@Reg - Yeah, I know.  I daren't release it into the wild without doing at least a basic "does it makes sense, and does it just read like a set of stage directions?" review.  If I make it past that, then yes, fresh eyes are needed.  The big problem is I've spent so long doing it (I have less free time than the amount I waste on here would imply) I fear it reads like a game of consequences, despite extensive Scrivener facilitated back checking.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fair enough, chap. Hope it goes well for you.
  • tin, I'd absolutely suggest what you already mentioned yourself, leaving it in a drawer for a while.
  • Tweaked slightly for TIE-POs
  • So, NaNoWriMo.

I saw DS is going in for this (haven't read your excerpt yet though, buddy), and I've decided to have a punt at it as well. A few ideas have been bubbling away so this is good motivation to try and turn them into something tangible.

Will possibly post an excerpt later.
  • I've been trying to write a short story recently but i'm rubbish at it and i only ever do a couple of pages before wanting to re-write it all.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Post it Tiger, I'll have a scan tomorrow.
  • Will put something up tomorrow, DS. I'm quite drunk right now.

I had a read of yours earlier. Thoughts to come!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers sir.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    I've literally (within the last 30 minutes) just finished the first draft of a 78000 word novel.  I had pictured myself being unbelievably proud and excited at this point, but in reality I'm just really anxious about having to read the whole thing back again, as I'm certain a hell of a lot of re-writing will need to take place.  Such is my fear of rereading, nearly everything I've written in the past has been one draft and done, but there's no way I'll get away with that for this.  (This is my first time writing anything long form.)  Think I'll leave it for a few weeks at least before I go near it, and then I'll probably delete it in a fit of pique. Anyone got any tips for reducing the horror/ tedium of doing this?
    Missed this at the time.  Just cracked 60k in my thesis and the re-reading never gets easier.  I habitually review what I wrote the previous day, make some changes.  Gets me moving for writing new stuff.  Fucking thesis.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    i wanna read your stuff ds!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Mine's in the No Subject thread, two pages back, as I wasn't aware this existed.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll bring it over here as this is the relevant thread:

Spoilered as its longish. First draft, so obvious errors will be ironed out in editing and such:
    Spoiler:
  • I'm nanoing again this year too

linky

I'm Carbon Altered on the nano site too if people want to buddy up
  • I am currently having a go at another short story (still using the same character from before) and I am about halfway through this one. Feel free to have a look and I would appreciate any feedback!

https://sites.google.com/site/thewandereseries/home/tale-of-a-lost-soul

Gonna have a read of yours now DS!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Carbon/Aaron, I'm heading out in about an hour, so I will have a scan tomorrow chaps.
  • Cheers mate, thoroughly enjoyed yours DS. Spoilered to not reveal spoilers...
    Spoiler:
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers sir, muchly appreciated. I have two viable options to go for now, the safe approach, or the harder, more twisty effort. Latter's problem is keeping it believable at the same time.

May just write both and see what fits.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!