Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll prob send this off when its done, same as t'other one that I still need to tighten up. Got a full worked out concept for a novel now, its just whether I can hold internal dialogue style for that length.
  • Where are you looking to send it? Genre mag?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah, seen some online e-zines/published mags that do like 5p a word and such. Bout 300 quid if published etc. Trying to get a backlog of 6/7 so I can send a few around at once, then if published a few times, try the novel, then agents, and fingers crossed!
  • Could do with some feedback on a short story I've been working on. Trying to polish off the first draft tonight. It's too long to comfortably post on here, so I'd prefer to e-mail it to anyone interested.

It's set IN SPACE.
  • yo

caveat: bit bogged down with assignments so can't guarantee when i'll read it.
  • OUTER SPACE?
  • Inner Space I hope.
  • OUTER SPACE. I'm nowhere near intelligentsial (coined it) enough to write about Inner Space.

Ping me a message with your e-mail, temps. x
  • Does anyone else find writing exhausting? I mean, I enjoy it and everything, but I do feel it takes a lot out of me. The enjoyment only ever comes once I've finished.

I've decided I want to work on a graphic novel style-o'-fiction one day. Amigara Fault left an impression.
  • i was going to reply but i was too tired AFTER READING THE HARDBACK BOOK VERSION OF THE SHAGGY BEAR TALE.

Your write like making love to a beautiful woman.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I haven't looked into this at all, but is it possible to convert, say, a rich text file to .MOBI format?

I've got something I want someone to look over but I'd like them to be able to read it on their Kindle but I don't actually want to publish it on Kindle 'cos it's not finished.
  • I haven't looked into this at all, but is it possible to convert, say, a rich text file to .MOBI format? I've got something I want someone to look over but I'd like them to be able to read it on their Kindle but I don't actually want to publish it on Kindle 'cos it's not finished.

Pretty sure it is.  I wrote some stuff in Scrivener and exported it as both a mobi file and an epub.  I'm sure other stuff will do the same trick (without necessarily having to pay for it...)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Download Calibre, it'll convert all files.
  • Many thanks to all of you who have given me feedback on writing over the past couple of years. I ended up getting nagged into submitting Rabbit to a short story competition and it's actually been shortlisted.

Initial feelings of delight have drifted into about worries about the likelihood of not winning and how disappointing that will be. Such is life, I guess, but I'm trying to focus on the big positive - I put something out there and someone out there, someone with no connection to me at all, actually liked it. 

So, yay. :)
  • Gratz Tigro, and good luck! 

Just realised I never got around to reading the thing you sent me, like a massive dick. Ugh. Me sometimes. I'll do my best to find some time for it, promise.
  • Cheers, T. Doubt I'll win but it's an encouraging pat on the back all the same.

Don't worry about the story, Rev gave me some good feedback, as did Mama Tigro, but I still haven't finished it. Have a much updated version if you want a read at any point. :)
  • Send it me you clever boy.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Oh, wow.

Turns out I'm one of the winners and Rabbit will be published in an anthology later this year. Royalty payments and a contract and everything.

Again, thanks for all your feedback. It made Rabbit a much better story than it was in its original incarnation.
  • Congratulations man. Very pleased for you. :D
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kudos Tiger!

I've yet to send anything off :D
  • Thanks guys. <3

It's not like it's a big publishing contract or anything and it's just a short story for an anthology... but it's a start. A few contractual clauses rankle somewhat so I'm not even 100% going to take them up on it at this point. Might get cousin Lawyer Lion to glance over it and make sure there's nothing terribly untoward.

P.S -  Pull yer finger out, DS. x

Rev - I'll let you know when I finish the story you looked at before. Should probably finish the damn thing before asking anyone else to have a look.
  • Well done Tiger.  If nothing else, by all accounts, the more you get published, the easier it is to get published.  (If you see what I mean.)
  • I'm needing to sit down and get this next chapter done. Will do a doubler for next week..
  • Cheers, TR. You're right of course. My main aim is to publish a fair few shorter bits over the next couple of years before trying to get THE NOVEL out there.

We'll hold you to that, Rev. >.<
  • Well, it's available. "An anthology of contemporary shorts reflecting the malaise of the modern psyche." Or something along those lines.

Toast.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Awesomeness, Tiger! Kudos chap :)

How's THE NOVEL going? I've barely been posting of late due to research/beginning mine.
  • Well, it's available. "An anthology of contemporary shorts reflecting the malaise of the modern psyche." Or something along those lines. Toast.
    Nice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!