The Write Stuff - NKOTB tribute thread
  • @MattyJ NEVER WRITE AGAIN
    Spoiler:
  • Can the OP keep the OP updated with peoples bits or is that too much to ask? I wanna read everyones but don't have the time when they're first posted up and then forget whose posted what where and how and when and yeah.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The next bit:
    Spoiler:
  • When does everyone write? How do you find the time?

In November for Nanowrimo I make time. The challenge is to get 50k words written in a month which translates to 1,667 a day which, for me, takes about two hours. I'll fit maybe 500 words in before leaving for work in the morning, then the rest over the course of the evening. I try to get ahead of the word count at weekends to build up a bit of slack for times when real life gets in the way.

It is quite hectic, but also satisfying as you know that at the end of the month you'll have (a very rough) first draft of a story you wrote. Stories I attempt to write over a longer period never seem to get finished.

And thanks for the feedback Tiger and DS, much appreciate the kind words.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @MattyJ NEVER WRITE AGAIN
    Spoiler:

NOOOOOOO
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • If I read anyone's stuff, it'll be after I've done this heaped serving of shit that is my current set of assignments. I wanted to do NaNoWriMo but I can't keep up the pace.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Next bit:
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Reading some of that back, eurgh.
  • The next bit:
    Spoiler:
    Next bit:
    Spoiler:

Great stuff DS. There was a particularly excellent character twist which I really wasn't expecting and was dropped exceptionally well. I'm really enjoying it.

Also, cheers for the feedback!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Ok, I'm trying to catch up with everyone's writing on here.

@Carbon: I have only read the prologue so far but it was great. I loved the rough, grizzled veteran character and I liked how the technology was used. Great universe building so far.

@Tiger: I have also only read the initial bit and I thought it was rather lovely. Again, excellent world building.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers Aaron. Much appreciated. Will finish tomorrow then head back to horror, my comfortable genre.
  • I would love to read some of the horror you have written, as it seems to be your forte...
  • I wrote dis for kicks once - have bookmarked this thread so I can do some leisure reading when I've finished these assignments, I actually handed this in at Uni because fuck writing another piece. 
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Pretty much everything was lost in the PC crash of last year :(

Backing everything up these days though. T'was older, cruder work really. More gore than atmosphere, which I aim for now.
  • Tempy - I really, really liked it. Just the sort of thing I enjoy reading, frankly... and kind of in the vein I try to write in but can't. . I particularly enjoyed.... 
    Spoiler:
    My main criticism would be that you veer close to purple prose at times, though I was enjoying the detail enough that it didn't bother me. Other than that, I thought it was superb. Hell, maybe because of that I loved it. I'd need a re-read to consider it more.
  • Tempy thats really good. Got a strong element of Lovecraft to it. Excellent stuff.
  • On that note, does anyone have any recommendations of where to start with Lovecraft? I've never read anything by him.
  • 'Call of cthulhu' is a good place to start. The cthulhu mythos stories are my favourite and i think thats the first one.
  • I love the opening paragraph from Call Of Cthulhu:
    The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
    mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance
    in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we
    should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
    hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated
    knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our
    frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
    or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Onwards we go:
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And we're finished!
    Spoiler:
  • Onwards we go:
    Spoiler:
    And we're finished!
    Spoiler:

Great stuff DS, thoroughly enjoyed reading that. I thought the first part you put up today was probably the strongest section, very tense and intriguing. All the story elements fitted in really nicely, made sense and worked well. Great ending too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers sir, latter part of the final bit was a bit rushed due to football, needs tightening up. The first bit, the one you say you was the strongest was the thing that blossomed the whole idea. Its a slight branch off of Dexter, in a way, but darker.

May try and send it to some monthly online web magazines or such, see if it can get printed when its wrapped up. Onwards and upwards! I start my horror effort tomorrow.
  • DS I will get around to reading yours too, looking forward to it cos I luv ya
  • Let me know how it goes in regards to the getting it published stuff, its something I always have in mind when I'm writing. Although I don't really know if my stuff is anywhere near good enough, I'm kind of enjoying it as just a hobby.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm trying to stop overwriting ATM. Rather than keep it straightforward Ive been using all the adverbs. Need to pare it back, using Orwell's writing tips as an impetus. Sometimes straightforward is fine.
  • M8 purple prose e'ry day.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll have a scan of yours tomorrow temps.

Aaron: Will do.
  • Does anyone read Interzone or Black Static? Loads of great short stories from professionals and amateurs. Good place to send short stories i imagine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!