Medal Of Honor: Warfighter
  • My main gripe is how every game is now a global war, mass destruction, levels tearing through evacuated towns. For a few years now these games have been nothing but map packs.

Instead of focusing on including the newest military gun, how about focus on some compelling dynamic AI that focuses on team work. How about close quarter levels? NOthing has come close to the atmosphere and suspense of All Ghillied Up. That was 5 years ago.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • three1ne wrote:
    My main gripe is how every game is now a global war, mass destruction, levels tearing through evacuated towns. For a few years now these games have been nothing but map packs. Instead of focusing on including the newest military gun, how about focus on some compelling dynamic AI that focuses on team work. How about close quarter levels? NOthing has come close to the atmosphere and suspense of All Ghillied Up. That was 5 years ago.
    It's funny how that was the bit of COD4 that everyone loved at the time, but there's been almost no attempt to replicate it. It's like they've got a lot of fifteen year old boys wired up in a lab and the results came back - too slow.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I still maintain that the first MOH would have been great online if it weren't for the ridiculous sniper situation. Take them away and i would possibly still be having the odd game on it now.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The first two CoDs are still some of my favourite FPS campaigns. And it's an odd comparison now I see it, but in agreeing with Kow and Revel's sentiments that the current ones have come across as insensitive I realise that the World War 2 CoD's did a good job of instilling a sense of heroism and respect for the soldiers they were representing. At least I felt like that when I was younger.

It was like reading those stories of WW2 heroism books when I was a kid. The new military shooters don't capture that at all, despite how heroic soldiers in modern theatres of war may be.
  • to be fair for all the disrespect you folks say it makes, and esp @ the medic post, my mates an army medic and he loves a game of bf3, so bam
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Welp, my wicked witch of an argument has had water thrown in its face.
  • Yeah I know two soldiers warfighters and they absolutely love any stuff like this but COD especially.
  • Does anyone know where I can find some sailors?

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Have you tried NORTH?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    The people moaning, do you actually like military shooters and want something new within the genre and don't feel this is it, or are you just moaning because it's a military shooter?

Moaning. No.
    Moral standpoint. Yes.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    My missus asked her grandad (a WW2 vet) what he thought about WW2 videogames.

He said that it doesn't matter really as you could never convey what it was actually like to be there. They, like films, were just entertainment.

One guys opinion, etc.
  • They are based on past events.

New games based on present events. Mockery of guys my age going to war.

Still not buying mod
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Surely real life wars are loads of fun though, why else would we keep having them?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Also, my mate is in the TA and the first thing he did when he got back from Afghanistan was fire up Battlefield 3.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think it's fairly easy to see the morality of WW2, at least with passing of the years. That's not clear with modern conflict. Participating in games which reflect situations that I have quite strong feelings about makes me uneasy, and that uneasiness will trump my liking of the fps format.

I'm sure soldiers enjoy playing military fps games but really I'm not particularly worried about how they get their entertainment.
  • Another element of the real world efforts for me is that they're not very good at it. I've said it before, but a few years ago developers were boasting about the credentials of their military consultants, now they just lift bits from Generation Kill. It's not as if the game play is realistic, the mechanics are more firmly rooted in walking through hails of bullets than ever. Realism would involve better AI, developers would rather stick with shooting galleries.
  • "Stay frosty guys"

"Hooah I hear that, staying frosty"

"Enemies are danger close"

"Hooah"
  • I am really getting sick and of the sheer enormity and spectacle of the levels in actions games now. Every level is trying to top the last in terms of excitement.
    I was playing Ghost Recon FS today and it is all THE ULTIMATE THREAT etc... Over and over again. I feel like playing a game with levels set in a tower block where you have to take out a drug dealer or simple but challenging levels based on proper room clearing and tactics.
    Something a bit more real world and believable, where every kill is earned and waves of faceless morons don't run into your stream of bullets.
    Dare I say 'gritty' and not bombastic.

Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Dare I say 'gritty' and not bombastic.

That sounds a bit like ARMA. If you replace gritty with realistic, and bombastic with forgiving in any way whatsoever.
  • I know what you mean but no not really.
    Even in ARMA/Op Flashpoint you start a mission and before you know it your 4 man fire team is defending a village against a tank division, to then yomp over a hill and take out a AA site, then you assault a infantry division at an airfield. All of it is implausible.
    I'd like to see devs carve a rewarding experience out of realistic goals and achievements. The shit you get up to in ARMA/Op Flashpoint, the general in charge can send the rest of his troops home and just let your fire team do everything.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    realism is all well and good but i want to play a game were im the hero or whatever who does the shooting,
    not the guy gaurding a checkpoint for twelve hour shifts with nothing happening.

remember when everyone were sick of ww2 games and then modern warfare came along?
    maybe its time to go backwards to conflicts past again?

me......im happy to stick to bf3 and whatever maps they throw my way as a premium player. ;)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I am not articulating myself well enough here. 
    I am not after realism as such I.e. 1 shot you are dead etc...
    I am after compelling gameplay and a sense of achievement from believable level design and goals. 
    The game that springs immediately to mind as some kind of reference is the original SWAT on PC. 
    The first level had you assaulting a ordinary suburban house to capture some dude. Nowadays you would drop from choppers into the garden take the guy out, then a tank would crash thru the wall and you would escape in a chopper (that will obviously get shot down by a RPG) while you minigun the fuck out of the neighbourhood. All this would end up with you eventually calling in a massive airstrike on a bunch of hind helicopters and a cutscene with some gravelly voiced commander telling you that 'the nukes' have been stolen by some arms dealer in inranstanbanastad who is goin to do something baaaad. 

The problem with upping the threat 'game' is that eventually there is no where left for you to go.
  • They are going to launch Unlikely...
  • Run!
  • I can't remember them that well, but wasn't the original appeal of COD back in the day that you were an ordinary soldier fighting your way through WW2 battles as part of a squad rather than Medal Of Honor's slightly OTT super soldier?
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I am not articulating myself well enough here.  I am not after realism as such I.e. 1 shot you are dead etc... I am after compelling gameplay and a sense of achievement from believable level design and goals.  The game that springs immediately to mind as some kind of reference is the original SWAT on PC.  The first level had you assaulting a ordinary suburban house to capture some dude. Nowadays you would drop from choppers into the garden take the guy out, then a tank would crash thru the wall and you would escape in a chopper (that will obviously get shot down by a RPG) while you minigun the fuck out of the neighbourhood. All this would end up with you eventually calling in a massive airstrike on a bunch of hind helicopters and a cutscene with some gravelly voiced commander telling you that 'the nukes' have been stolen by some arms dealer in inranstanbanastad who is goin to do something baaaad.  The problem with upping the threat 'game' is that eventually there is no where left for you to go.

haha i liked that.. to be honest i enjoy some spectacle but its often ringing hollow for me lately, bf3's campaign fell completely flat and the last few of these games ive played i seem to be completely in the wrong mood for some climactic moment, like i hadnt been guided properly in excitement. something 'special' would happen, and i'd be 'oh'when it finished, and not really that excited at all

maybe something like you describe, tenser more realistic close firefights with lots of tenseness between explosions of conflict instead of bombast would drag me in a bit more
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @Iaiaiain The appeal was that it was a well made fun game before the genre became totally saturated.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It wasn't the genre that became saturated, just the style. I guess that happens when something becomes insanely popular.

TBH, I'm not really sure that particular style of shooter has become saturated, it probably just feels like it because Activision do one a year and now EA are as well.

God, I'd give anything for Bad Company 3. That, for the most part, was fairly realistic.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm not playing another FPS till BC3 comes along. And if they say they're moving in a more gritty, realistic direction, I'll fucking scream.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!