General VR and AR chinwag
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I was thinking of some kerazy head tracking in a world without more suitable sensors.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Just ordered my OR devkit, super fecking excited, next batch of devkits expected to be sent out in seoptember and already a million ideas in my head.

Mixing this thing with a surround sound environment mixed to binaural stereo for headphones and a kinect could be headfuck heaven
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I know there's always news about this but here's some Gamescom video.

http://www.polygon.com/#ooid=pjdXN4ZDoWcbNDhg-waTzfd6lMuLFxMR

EDIT: Well that didn't work, just go to the video section on the home page.
  • mine just arrived, i'll post some thoughts later
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Modeling pics with Mrs. Gunn or it didn't happen.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Even though I know what you're talking about Beanzie, I still almost took that the wrong way.
  • There's probs money in her showing it off starkers, she's not got terrible bits at all, but yeah haha i get what you mean

I'll post a pic of the actual devkit very shortly, mainly cause its very snazzily designed packaging made for travel. OR its self a tad chunkier than i expected but not very heavy
  • Anyways, here's a pic

IMAG0102.jpg

bad pic sorry but, intereting thing you'll note is it has differnt eyecup extender things for nearsighted people, which was a nice thing, longsighted people might have to wear contacts

i put it on, its quite bulky but not at all heavy, i cant imagine being fatigued by it
  • Actually i lied, apparently farsighted people can use the 20/20 vision lenses

Also, i started to feel it heavy on my nose so i fooled with the top strap and that made it pretty much effortless to wear

I would get stuck into doing stuff with it but made a promise to watch the mass effect 3 walkthrough first so after that, occulus time
  • Even comes with its own occulus branded lens cleaning cloth, classy as fuck
  • Few thoughts, good and some thinsg to be improved

Its obviously a prototype and there for developers to learn and get the hang of, so you have to get used to swapping arounf lenses till you get those that fit your eyes (i had to use the severely short sighted ones). and the lens has to be very close to your eyes to fill most of your peripheral vision, which means the straps have to be quite tight and a lot of shuffling it about to get it working right

Existing games have not been designed for it and current 3rd party drivers have to make concessions to get headtracking done, specifically with it following mouse movement - if youre too quick with the mouse and dont move accordingly with your head, you can start getting serious motion sickness, and if you combine that with the eye convegence not being set up right then yeah, icky feelings. This i dont thik is wrong with the idea though, you just got to take it slowly and learn how to use it

The screen is obviously too low res to be used in a commercial model can obscure much of the detail in a game, and you can 'see the pixels' which can cause above stated convergence problems, and because o the way the screen is projected, games like skyrim you just cant play sensibly atm cause the menus are all off to the sides

The good is, as it goes its pretty great when you adapt to it, and with improvements could improve an amazing experience - its not so much the being able to look around inside soething but the stereo effect giving everything such depth, it really does feel like somethings there, the first dragon attack in skyrim was actually scary in a very tangible way, i like it loads and will be fooling with it a lot in future

Unless youre a dev wh wants to get cracking learning the technology, or a tinkerer with a lot of time, i wouldnt bother with it, for me its great and  i'm going to continue to try and figure out the best way to use it and make things for it for some time id wager
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    Unless youre a dev wh wants to get cracking learning the technology, or a tinkerer with a lot of time, i wouldnt bother with it, for me its great and  i'm going to continue to try and figure out the best way to use it and make things for it for some time id wager

I think you're bang on there. My mate who bought one (and his first ever gaming PC to play it on) has pretty much lost interest in his after the initial novelty.
  • I just got my partner to have a go with Dear Esther, and despite her general dislike of stuff like this she was really impressed, obviously saw the shortfalls be could fully understand why this was exciting technology

There is no, or next to no big games that support this so buying it just for gaming is absurd, even the third party drivers dont support that broad a degree of games and its only through various hacks you'll get proper head tracking with these games at all. When the games DO support this fully, it will be ace and i cannot wait though haha

For those who do get one, make sure you have a controller too, mouse and keyboard is practically impossible and the way the mouse moves seems to induce confusion quickly anyways

Now for the main event, Dishonored
  • Hey, LazyGunn have you seen this? Don't have a OR but I imagine it works very well.

Also, I remember reading about someone creating a mod for Skyrim so the menus work with OR, you should probably check it out.

edit: Here seems to be a pretty comprehensive guide to get Skyrim running well with the rift.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    OR must elevate non games like Dear Esther immeasurably.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Oh jeez, OR is more of a syntactic nightmare than One is.
  • Hey, LazyGunn have you seen this? Don't have a OR but I imagine it works very well. Also, I remember reading about someone creating a mod for Skyrim so the menus work with OR, you should probably check it out. edit: Here seems to be a pretty comprehensive guide to get Skyrim running well with the rift.

That top thing looks cool assuming the photos are taken with stereo view into account or a lot of the impact of the OR is lost (depth perception) and i've had a look at the fixing skyrim article and it fixes the hud but not the menus, but i think you can zoom the image in/out using the driver (ill check when i next play)

Dear Esther was a great example of how amazing stuff can look with the OR, realy immersive and beautiful, on the counterside, i had a go with Dishonored and as soon as it got actiony it became a pukefest, these games really do need to be designed around this way of perciving a game world or it gets disorientating with you not sure where to focus, with the constant nag that you should be focussing at the screen an inch in front of your eyes rather than the artificial distance, i think this is a problem that will definitely be rectified, the issue i think is there because of the screen itself, you can see the grid of pixels and when it updates through rapid changes it can get a little fuzzy and disorientating

After ive chilled out for a bit ill have another go at the skyrim thing though cause it would be very nice to get that working, assuming the combat doesnt, again, make me want to be sick
  • It's not just photos but a plugin for google street-view (and yes it has the option for depth perception on by default) so you can visit almost anywhere in the world from the comfort of your PC!
  • That sounds pretty darn cool actually

I can confirm though that unless a suitable mod is made, skyrims menus are too much of a pain in the butt for the OR
  • That google thing is brill, although i now cant get my partner off it, and i thought it would be me being the fool wearing the giant goggles all night
  • For anyone hoping to oculus existing games, i can recommend tridef ignition for the job, it even has a great feature for lowering the fov so if you need to read a part of the screen you usually cant see you can do iut on a keypress, skyrim will start being playable again. Does need a lot of tinkering though
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So, given the apparent large amount of tailoring needed to make a game work properly with OR, how realistic is this as an actual thing?

Is it just that all this stuff is being applied afterwards and if devs planned for it from the start it'd be easy. Or is it going to be like stereoscopic 3D in games when the installed user base doesn't justify the fettling needed?

Now I'm sure there'll be plenty of indie efforts coming out, but what about mainstream? I could be wildly wrong but I think aiming to have an installed base even as high as 3D TV is still highly optimistic.
  • All this retrofitting isn't ideal but i'd also be ridiculous to expect it to be ideal, all it takes is a bit of fiddling though. The oculus is currently at a stage suitable for devs and tinkerers, i think everyone should be aware of that, but its clear where its heading for a consumer release and thats very promising.

It's realy not that hard to consider the oculus into the design for a game, if your game really has to have a lot of non-player related head movement you can put that in your game but i think you'd lose more than you gain.

The significant difference between opinions about the oculus is very chiefly decided between 3 camps, those who have used it as intended and understand whats involved for it to be implemented properly, gamers who have only tried to use it for existing, unsuitable games that they couldnt even be bothered to, say, tweak a bit and make a profile in tridef so it worked better (these are the people banging on about motion sickness being so terrible and innate, which is really an easy issue to address), and those who havent used it at all talking about what its like.

I'd expect better of people on this forum to fall into the middle camp, but until you use it its hard to tell you why it's so remarkable, almost everyone i've seen who has used it appropriately is very impressed. The effect of 3D tv's is so laughable in comparison in terms on significant impact on immersion within a game that it hardly bears that much thought - you get the idea, roughly, from tvs, like thats steroscopic vision, but yeah, its nothing like the oculus

All i can say is try it and see! I didn't know what to expect, i certainly didn't expect what it did. My mind boggled
  • Actually, i havent played a game with native oculus support yet so ill try half life 2 since i sored that out last night
  • Okay well after a few minutes of that i've concluded i no longer want to play games that aren't OR-considered ever again

fuck me
  • FUUUUUCK ME

Half Life 2 with this and binaural stereo drivers is just.. i think its why valve are doing this to all their games, every little touch you didnt notice becomes absolute obvious when you're there 'first hand' so to speak, and it looks like nothings aged a bit, in fact it looks state of the art

Ive been enjoying these hacky implementations of games a lot but they just havent had (or at least i havent set them up properly yet) the accuracy of a native implementation. The mind just races and what a bunch of recent games could be like, if they were like that.

I'm told you train yourself into vr a bit, which is much why vr stuff developers have a hard time telling if their work is nauseating or not, you get used to it, so im taking breaks whenever i start to feel uneasy, but i was in there 40 minutes then before i thought i should take a break - make sure youre sat comfy and the dimension goggles are comfy and it gets very nice, although movement does take a bit of getting used to, i find it much more tolerable with a pad anyways

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!