General VR and AR chinwag
  • And  copying stuff over from the Soma thread...

Alone - a game where you sit on a sofa and play a horror game on your TV.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-24-a-horror-game-within-an-oculus-rift-game

Private Eye - watching people through binoculars.

• Hello again oculus rift thread. Unfortunately just as i got all stoked for a bit of experimental rifting i find my desktop needs a bit of a malware purge so not much to add cept hl2 continues to astound, just took the flying monster thing down at the car pileup on the coastal road, those behemoths floating around you are quite a sight.

Ive realised im not setting my more hacky methods up correctly so im going to go about that as soon as malware scan has done its thang, but im not going to waste time, ive been recommended to check out the first section of bioshock infinite again which sounds like a really good idea, itll get pukey before long though after that. Dishonored got pukey way too quick for me at this stage but im hoping hl2 will toughen me up enough to take it on, although Dishonored takes your control away from your head way too much.

Gonna try and get dear esther perfect this time because it deserves it and im pretty damn sure i could get it spot on, and theres that other game AJ mentioned

Since you guys are resolutely refusing to get one, go ahead and suggest games you'd like opinions on, but please try be realistic and sensible, like a rationale behind your request would be nice instead of pelting game names at me. I can already tell you COD is fucking diabolical for it and im not sure bf would fare better either, although ill try. I might try some non fps sorta stuff like diablo 3 too (Although my current 3rd person experiment, Dark Souls, made everything look really silly). Its a damn shame i can try this with Journey, that game would be really something

Anyways, carry on
  • Afraid I can't find anything with a quick search for running MirrorMoon on Rift, soz.
  • Is there way to get it working with a GTAIV first person view?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Any golf games using a hacked wii remote / kinect?
    Grid?

My mate got his FTL clone working with his OR. Sounded pretty cool!
  • AJ wrote:
    Afraid I can't find anything with a quick search for running MirrorMoon on Rift, soz.

if it's directx then i can probs get something working, i'll youtube the game now to see what to expect

Iain youre a genius - I thought of that ages ago then totally forgot, but now, hah, what a wicked idea, so long as it doesnt get majorly pukey. That with some good texture mods, traffic/pedestrian/first person mods and an enbseries injection turned up to 11. That could be pretty special. Wonder if i still have my old saves
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Have you got a racer working yet Gunn? I'm very interested in how that would be, coupled with a wheel and pedals in cockpit view.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Any golf games using a hacked wii remote / kinect? Grid? My mate got his FTL clone working with his OR. Sounded pretty cool!

Is FTL in 3D?? well seemed like the kinda game i'd have to invest in to see much out of anyways. One thing you've struck on there is if I can get the rift working with Dolphin, the Wii/GC emulator - if that goes well the stuff like super mario galaxy and suchlike will be brill. CBF to set up kinect stuff for golfing things but! Golf itself isnt actually a terrible idea if you can get a sense of place

So can you name, say, a golf game with all the pretties and mouselook?

And yeah wait.. yep.. hello sexy link http://mushroomtomatoes.com/2013/08/how-to-play-all-gamecube-n64-vc-and-wii-games-on-the-oculus-rift/

Seems I can rift emulated games too, so i spose that could be very interesting indeed, SMG and Okami are getting a big look-in
  • Have you got a racer working yet Gunn? I'm very interested in how that would be, coupled with a wheel and pedals in cockpit view.

I ran into a heavy case of 'cant be arsed' with racers a week or so back, esp cause i'm not much of a racing guy myself so the UIs are complete noise to me. If you can suggest, again, a racing game with all the pretty bits and a cockpit view with mouselook then i could give it a pop?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ok, I'll have a dig and see if I can find something suitable.
  • After zipping about on a hovercraft and a buggy in hl2 i'm very convinced the OR can be pretty thrilling (Although in terms of being designed for it, they should soften the head movements considerably whatever the force of the crash) so it would be great to see it go in a realistic feeling environment

I found gta4 crazy realistic with all the mods piled on actually, OR is sounding really good if i dont puke everywhere

• bloody hell that seems like a bit of a ballache to set up, but i'll give it a shot!

the forum post did come up with some possibly very salient observations that the rift might not have the res to make distant track clear enough but i shall see
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    'rifting', you kids. What you like. 

/jealous
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • i dont know what im meant to call it, 'I SHALL ASSUME THE OCULUS DEVICE AND ONCE AGAIN ADVENTURE INTO THE NETHER GOOD SIRS AND TODAY THE LAND IS OF THE BIOSHOCK ULTIMATE'

is that better?

NO ITS NOT, SILLY BEANO

i'm rifting bio game like a bro
  • I spent about 6 hours getting Bioshock Infinite working with the OR today, it posed a problem as it was a dx11 game and unless I wanted to spend money (ha!) i wasnt getting a simple solution

Well, after working myself into an incandescent rage cause even though I could get the stereoscopic effect fine and sense of depth (although the fov was all outta whack, my fault through laziness) i couldnt get the headtracking working with anything since even opentrack inexplicably decided not to work in-game, i just went fuck it, laid back, put my feet up, and just played very slowly the first half hour or so of the game, basically stopping where it it gets gnarly.

Never in all my days

I have no idea how they didnt realise they were already making games for this

For all its faults, that was something special right there, i'm still a bit lightheaded and buzzing. Game would probs have me feeling sick as hell if i actually tried fighting in it but up to that point it was unlike anything i'd come across before, that weirdo floating disneyland looking weird and beautiful and super real cept you were watching it through an old camcorder or something

Deffo a recommended experience
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    i'd honestly thought it's must be the term on the rifters boards or summant

bravo, you came up with it yourself

you should get it out there if it's not already

forum is moody in the oddest of threads

anyway still jealous cause i'm not rifting
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I dont post on any OR boards! Only look at the official ones to figure out fixes to get stuff working, its deffo not a consumer friendly device atm, but on the other hand if you have half a mind for tinkering the stuff it gives you is breathtaking at times. I would find it completely absurd it wouldnt take off after putting people up to watching that half hour though. Even my very hard to impress female was very impressed.

Yeah this is the shit. You guys should get one of these badboys
  • Alright well with a head full of amphetamines and whisky theres not much else to do than pander to my gang of submissive wenches and work through all these games i said i'd check out

F1 2012 first then MirrorMoon
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I want to play Mirrors Edge, constantly rolling to break my falls even when I don't have to.
  • I swear Mirrors Edge is gonna be a vomfest so i was avoiding it but you know what, fuck that noise, my chicks busy reminiscing at the manics and her crushes on nicky and ive run out of internet people to say inappropriate things to, so its time to take more drugs, drink more drink, and see how much oculusing i can get done, mirrors edge can get agogo while i see what its like actually being there in paper mario 2 and f1 2012. And then check on muzzy's industry. And not fall asleep halfway through any of that.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    You guys should get one of these badboys
    LazyGunn wrote:
    I spent about 6 hours getting Bioshock Infinite working

Hmm...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I like that passively, as an end user you're occulussing and as a dev you're rifting.
  • AJ wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    You guys should get one of these badboys
    LazyGunn wrote:
    I spent about 6 hours getting Bioshock Infinite working
    Hmm...

You coulda least asked for an explanation, you're getting all mod-like, dont let the forum wear you down man, be strong

Games either come with rift support (very very rare) or you have one of a few hacky approaches to it, well mainly its 3 different 'drivers' that inject themselves into the graphicy doodaa and do all the stuff to make it do its magic. In this case i'd hae to use a hacky thing. One of them doesnt support directx 11 games full stop (vereio) for now, its free but developments a little glacial at the moment, one of them is a beta release of part of a larger software called tridef which is generally meant for 3D tellys, in fact that beta doesnt support directx 11 either but the normal version does, ill get to that in a sec, the third option DOES support directx 11 and some pretty fancy ways of getting you your actually there-ness but its in beta, you have3 to pay for it, and it was released the day before yesterday. Im not paying for it and its obviously not out for piratin yet.

Standard 'tridef ignition' is meant for games but for 3D monitors, can create an anaglyph (blue red wotsit) display or side by side stereographic output, not suitable for oculus, the recent beta release does the last bit of the puzzle and adds the post-effect and adjustments to suit the oculus rift (its quite a dramatic distortion).

So first i had to figure out if theres a way i can turn the standard side by side tridef makes into something oculus friendly, which i found, called oculus overlay. This took a while but i could at least get awesome depth perception stuff going on, what took so long was head tracking! Which ended up not working in the end anyways, i spent several hours trying to find soething oculus specific (this thingy that was meant to make just using a desktop os easy with an OR, wasnt awful but not suitable) and then i found opentrack which did exactly what i wanted including moving the mouse with the rift in bioshock when the cursor was on screen but when it wasnt, nothing happened.

I got very angry after hours of it and gave up and just gamepadded it and soaked up the being-there-ness of it all

Apparently the third option mentioned above, called VorpX, supports Bioshock Infinite including headtracking, in which case im going to walk through the same section again with that, because that was something special and it was nothing to do with what you assume VR does (headtrack you so you can look around), it was specific to what the oculus intends to do cost effectively, and you just have to see it for yourself

If its any  encouragement to get one, ive now spent dozens of hours on getting things working with it so i should be able to help out!

Anyways, f1 was a complete pain in the arse, couldnt get headtracking working anyways and the labels above the cars were at the depth of the UI, not the cars they were above, so they were like bees flying close to your eyes when youre trying to firmy enjoy a landscape. Not recommended. I'll try find another car game at some point

Next up is Dolphin, assuming it doesnt nosedive (hah) i'll try it with paper mario 2, mario galaxy and okami and see whats what. I might ps2 emulate okami actually it'd be a lot more straightforward
  • In my humble opinion, that foray into Dolphin thus far, could not be more of a success, the main boon being a surprising one. I just tried paper mario 2 briefly, which maintains its charm  and the depth adds to the cutout feeling of it, but mario galaxy 2 with all that... depth, and im laying back all over my throne like a particularly debased lump of thing, xbox controller doing everything the wiimote does, not a glitch in sight. If i could be arsed with games like mario and im on my own, im not sure how you beat that.

Gonna give okami a shot soonish cause i might persevere with that once ive got stuff im meant to do done, but if it's anything like as relaxing as mario ive found a reason to get one despite all the technology doodaas, its playing games with your face facing the ceiling, and not a trace of discomfort

For whatever reason, probably profound and disgusting psychological ruination during my childhood, i find the feeling of the headset on my face very pleasant when im completely relaxed, and its become more and more apparent that the way to play with these things is kind of the opposite to your aspect with a normal display. You dont lean forward engaged, you get as relaxed and comfortable as possible, you get less sick in games that confuse you (latency, unrelatable head movement, UI things hooked into a screen position in a 3D scene but not its depth), and you tend to let what you're seeing take a more proactive rule in consuming you, rather you diving into your telly/monitor
  • Reading back over the thread i realise Dear Esther needs another punt now i'm more educated in the ways of Tridef, so i'm gonna walk around bleakness for a bit before Mirror's Edge gives me a nausea smackdown afterwards
  • Haven't been able to read all that yet 'cause I've just woken up for the second time and don't have the concentration. Will later, but for now I just want to respond to this quickly:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    You coulda least asked for an explanation, you're getting all mod-like, dont let the forum wear you down man, be strong

Sorry, wasn't mean to come across like that. Thought I'd banged on about how lazy I am and how happy I am to wait for stuff that I could get away with a lazy jest.

In my younger days I would have thought nothing of spending all day tinkering to get something like this working. As I get older, I find there's so much stuff I want to do that I don't have time for that I'm quite happy to wait for things to get cheaper/better/easier 'cause I've plenty to entertain me in the meantime.

Of course, I don't currently have the money for a Rift of a computer that could run it anyway so am loving experiencing it vicariously through you.
  • sok i was just teasing haha

ahh the better aquainted i get with it the more it opens up, and i havent even tried to make anything with it yet

Dear Esther proved a great choice and a telling one regarding how much ive learnt how to appreciate the impression of depth and tailor the driver for it. Dear Esther is now one hell of a consuming experience, just walking round the inside of the lighthouse right at the beginning, i dont wanna sound like a cliche but its like you really are there! It even looks completely convincing, just camcorder style cause of the res

It might be the sleep deprivation and other things talking but people have plenty to benefit from grabbing one, for a bunch of utilities from just getting your immersion thang on to playing wii games on your back. Its only 200 quid more or less, and im an unemployed peon!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If you're on your back, isn't the camera stuck looking at the sky??  Or for e.g. doplhin does it not move the camera with your head, and just give you 3d ness?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!