General VR and AR chinwag
  • Man, if that steam console thingy came out with support for the retail sku of this, and half life 3 had OR support, that'd be be me sold on it. And buying sick bags in bulk, probably.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Gunn, sod off with these constant updates. You're making me sad I don't have one.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ignore the hatted one for the love of the fuck.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, do. I like them really, but they do make me sad.
  • Any new game that had OR in mind in its design should be able to minimise motion sickness massively if not completely, that doesnt have me worried particularly anyways as you get better with it over time, like ive already improved a lot over a few days, it's like riding a bike or something

I found the most jarring parts of hl2 were the short loading periods when the view would freeze but something as simple as having the 'loading' text still moving with your head would make this problem disappear. All the tricks the guys doing this stuff will be learning before the OR goes consumer i could imagine would attend to almost all criticisms, and (imo of course) i just cant see how people wouldnt say this is better than what has gone on before, like inarguably better. It's like you're there! A lot of the time i felt a little weird was feelings id have felt if i was there, some particularly grand scale of something or it's bizarreness (That hovering eye as you get off the train spooked me), or a little shock of vertigo when i dropped some distance. I'm assuming it's going to be hard to go completely wrong with this if they take into account the things that obviously need addressing (lens changing, screen quality (colour cast, resolution, blur and latency), calibration speed, positional awareness regards to body direction). I'm becoming somewhat an evangelist
  • I'm a bit worried that the reality of this is not going to match what's in my head, but still really excited about the tech though. Imagining playing Destiny 2 in a few years time and totally being in that world.

There was an interesting thread on the gaf today - what would you be willing to pay for the PS4 VR? I'd say.... £250 maybe?

Not sure they could go much higher and expect it to sell.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • My Oculus mate was sucking on ginger sweets to combat the old motion sickness.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    @gunn preach away brother, preach away.
  • JRPC wrote:
    I'm a bit worried that the reality of this is not going to match what's in my head, but still really excited about the tech though. Imagining playing Destiny 2 in a few years time and totally being in that world. There was an interesting thread on the gaf today - what would you be willing to pay for the PS4 VR? I'd say.... £250 maybe? Not sure they could go much higher and expect it to sell.

It's better than what was in my head cause.. well.. yeah i dont think i actually considered what a profound thing depth perception is (I keep sounding like a dickhead but hl2 was like being there looking through a cheapo video camera). And i think the price of the consumer oculus is going to be well WELL less pricey than the devkit (Cost me 230 or so i suppose with shipping), possibly sub fifty quid i'd imagine, so if sony go for £250 they'll def price themselves out of the race
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Can you see any ways in which Sony will be able to considerably improve on the consumer spec OR?
  • Ok fair dos, I assumed it'd much more for some reason. Thought the Rift was way more than that.

By the sounds of it the PS4 one uses the camera for move-quality tracking - so maybe they'll come bundled, which could up things a bit.

Love the update Gunn, keep em coming.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Ummm, well i'd only be being speculative by saying what the consumer OR would be like but if they follow the vision they seem to have then i'd imagine it being neck and neck, or based on whoever can get the best components more cheaply. Sony are a world leader in electronics and can no doubt get a beautiful screen for their unit, and i imagine pretty swanky everything else, but they'd still stand side by side so long as development matures with the makers of these vr things and the people writing software for them. I'd imagine with adjustable lenses rather than replaceable, great screens, automated or nearly-automated calibration and a clever method for positional and body direction awareness (And some young lad has already fixed the latter with a not too expensive gaming peripheral strapped to his chest) then, yeah, not much else so say! I suppose making the whole unit lighter/easier to take off quickly could help but yeah, all neck and neck, all down to price and component quality.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Can you see a utility for kinect with this, for body/head tracking?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    By the sounds of it the PS4 one uses the camera for move-quality tracking - so maybe they'll come bundled, which could up things a bit

It's got a camera on it. Or at least the prototype from last year did

I'd have thought Move tracking would involve the camera looking at it and tracking a bulb or similar?

Putting the camera on the device is a good idea as it gets round the problem of not being able to see the real world when you're wearing it. However my suscipion is this is coming from the Aibo/Rolly part of Sony not SCE so wouldn't bank on PS4 support just yet.
  • OR dev kit is 250 lazy?
  • Mod - i think putting a camera on the front is a great idea and probably something that will make it to the consumer model.. actually i cant see it not, maybe theyll have different flavours of something for it maybe, a camera on the front would be invaluable to people making stuff for it certain, but it has application for augmented reality kinda stuff too

And the kinect is an absolutely ideal bedpartner for this kind of thing, leap motion, which is much a kinect kind of thing, is already being used along with the OR to develop next generation GUIs

Griff - well, $300 + whatever shipping is to your country from america is, works out as around that
  • Another hour on hl2 in, action starting to get fierce so motion sickness starts coming in a little more, but i'm going to try not be silly and play through it, will see if taking breaks rather than bearing it and getting better with it slowly will go better. There's probably some method to it so i'm gonna work that out. I'm taking in the game far farrrr better than i did on a monitor, story-wise and environment-wise, its odd to see a game thats mostly forgotten for its strengths at the time come so thunderously back into focus, it seems like a new game again, and design decisions that are paled on a monitor come back to being masterly again now you feel in situ, being able to aim exactly where your face is pointing is a boon too. Future parts of the game that used to be 'meh' i'm now ridiculously excited by.

God i'm loving this (Aside from annoying down time while i adapt to it), i think i'll have another session with this tonight and then try a bit of Doom 3 BFG cause there's a patch for it for native OR support and it will be very interesting comparing those two games again in this context
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do you have independent movement for the aim and head movement or are they locked? I think I would prefer separate movement for each but having never used it I don't know.
  • BTW gunn - If you haven't already, you might wanna have a gander at IR's Unity Rift demos:
    http://ir-ltd.net/blog/

They're like a Lightstage style capture company, but are doing some cool stuff with VR now it seems: http://vimeo.com/user2608859

Latest implements some SSS stuff from Jimenez
  • Impressive! That's one hell of a shader btw, next gen a gogo
  • Quake 1 on Oculus is a giggle as well Gunn, I recommend jumping into that brown VR world! Also Doom 3 BFG works a treat, that'll be the tits with your earphones I'm sure.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Im looking forwards to doom 3, just cant quite get it displaying as id like

I've happened upon a new curiosity actually

From the evidence i gained, hacky approaches to adding oculus support (most games ive tried) havent come near integrated approaches, such as half life 2, but im still interested in how a wide variety of games come across in the unit, especially those that aspire to realism. Assuming its not ogl, i'm going to try kane and lynch - dog days when i wake, simply because it DID try to nail realism so well, and i'm definitely interested in that. Had a poke with dark souls and it did feel oddly toy soldiers, maybe the perpective was much to do with it

Very keen to see how more abstract attemps fare, so maybe that tomorrow too, all this running up to my own attempt at a game/tech demo for it (and maybe a music video for a pal) which i have strong ideas for but need to understand what will be appropriate and what not
  • Can you try Antichamber please Gunn? It's pretty minimal, hardly any textures, but I still reckon it'd be a great on Rift. Not sure why.
  • The obvious implementation for this is FPS but it just occurred to me that third person games could work extremely well with it too.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • In fact this is the thing I am watching with the most interest, the next gen has me excited because it has been so long but this is true next leap stuff IMO.

I really want this to be massive.
    I want Sony to make their own and for it do well, I want MS to support this using Kinect to track you as well, I want the devs to add OR modes.
    I would buy one in a shot at £300 if the above was the case.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    You've got one of these, Gunn? LOL! ^_^
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Reading Gunn's posts makes me all the sadder my mate was unable to get anything other than a tech demo working with his Rift. All I wanted to see was Half Life 2...
  • I'd like to play Outlast, probably. No shooting to worry about, just lots of pooing and running away.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Come to think of it, Half Life 2 would turn out mack on a rift...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Been reading some interesting articles about playing scary games with this OR. Apparently it's so scary that it's not really fun anymore:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/a-machine-for-fear-ben-spends-hours-playing-oculus-rift-horror-games-and-ha

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!